• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I can't believe this is a 9.0

65 posts in this topic

Its got rusty staples and spots on the spine and top edge..... (shrug)

Am I missing something?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Police-Comics-70-CGC-9-0-Off-White-Pages_W0QQitemZ310212151451QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item483a15c89b

CGC is notoriously easy on rusty staples and foxing on Golden Age books.

There are quite a few examples of books with gnarly looking foxing, and rusty staples, sitting in a 9.0 or better holder.

This is the one that still bothers me the most (only because I own the other 9.0 copy on the census, without a shred of foxing or rust on the staple).

Startling27crippen.jpg

and my copy:

Startling27cgc90b.jpg

I bet if I poll 100 Boardies on which book they would rather have, we'd have the first unanamious polling result in the Forum's history, yet CGC doesn't consider it a defect, and will continue to grade 'em that way.

At the end of the day, do your research, and always buy the book, not the label.

There are quite a few examples of books with gnarly looking foxing, and rusty staples, sitting in a 9.0 or better holder.

This is the one that still bothers me the most (only because I own the other 9.0 copy on the census, without a shred of foxing or rust on the staple).

Startling27crippen.jpg

and my copy:

Startling27cgc90b.jpg

I bet if I poll 100 Boardies on which book they would rather have, we'd have the first unanamious polling result in the Forum's history, yet CGC doesn't consider it a defect, and will continue to grade 'em that way.

At the end of the day, do your research, and always buy the book, not the label.

The Crippen? :takeit:

Wouldn't want there to be complete agreeance on the boards...it would cause chaos :insane:

Jim

Good advice, just because a book is labelled 9.4/9.6 you still have to give it the once over.

Yeah, it's a good thing all those ebay sellers accept returns on CGC graded books.... :tonofbricks:

Different grading standards for golden age.

Which is just wrong.

Well not many books that came out over 60 years would look as good as that Police comic, most goldenage would grade lower so I can see how CGC decided to go with a 9.0 and I cant`t remember the last time I saw a modern that was below CGC 9.0. I do see your point but two vastly different eras.

I'd be pretty ed off if that was mine, George. It's clearly a far superior copy, I'd say by at least half an alpha grade, possibly a full alpha grade. (thumbs u

I know full well that you should 'buy the book and not the label' but the only folk who can and will do that are the people who know how to grade and understand the significance of certain flaws and production issues. Oh, and on Golden Age, can also weigh the importance of certain minor restoration procedures.

Which suggests that, if you're not going to get caught holding the baby, you need to be fully informed, competent, experienced and market-savvy.

At which point you have to ask...just how useful are CGC's services? (shrug)

Which is just wrong.

Well not many books that came out over 60 years would look as good as that Police comic, most goldenage would grade lower so I can see how CGC decided to go with a 9.0 and I cant`t remember the last time I saw a modern that was below CGC 9.0. I do see your point but two vastly different eras.

The 'era' should have nothing to do with it...although I know that it does. A defect is a defect is a defect. The only argument I find in the least bit compelling is regarding the relative sizes of GA to BA, for example. GA books were bigger and so a one inch corner crease isn't quite as bad as a one inch corner crease on a BA book.

But foxing? Nope.

Which is just wrong.

The 'era' should have nothing to do with it...although I know that it does. A defect is a defect is a defect. The only argument I find in the least bit compelling is regarding the relative sizes of GA to BA, for example. GA books were bigger and so a one inch corner crease isn't quite as bad as a one inch corner crease on a BA book.

But foxing? Nope.

(thumbs u

A crystal clear example of how CGC grading is based on physical structure with little to no regard for presentation.

I'll post another Night-and-Day comparison sometime later on.

As for being ticked off, well, what are you going to do, besides point out the discrepency for all to see? CGC will grade the way they grade. You win some, you lose the rest, and you scratch your head on most of 'em. (shrug)