• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obligations to Comic Show dealers?

53 posts in this topic

Fortunately there are a lot more good guys to support than bad guys to avoid.

The one guy I avoid like the plague is Rich Muchin. Not only does he sell restored books without disclosure, he's rude, obnoxious, arrogant and dismissive to boot. Plus, he never appears to comb his hair.

I just tried to find pictures of him to see if it rings any bells but all I could find were photos of Steve Borock? (shrug)

I think I might know this dealer and I want to confirm it. I believe the guy was trying to sell me multiple ASM 102s that all had restoration. But I am NOT sure it's the same dude.

I stay as far away from Black Cat comics as humanly possible. I was at the Chicago Comic con 2 years ago and I wanted to buy one of his wall books. He was openly saying that every single wall book he could knock 10% from sticker price. The book I was interested in was $400 and with the discount would be $360, right?

Apparently, the dork can't do his math correctly and he got all worked up when I offered him his quoted $360. He got seriously mad at me to the point of yelling and I was being nothing but polite. I hate that guy.

If he said said something like, "I can't do 10% off that book, the best price I can do is $380(or even $400)" I would have bought the book no questions. He didn't do that, he acted like a child. I ended up buying that same book in roughly the same condition for $300 from some other dealer.

I've always found Boyd to be a good guy. I wonder if he just had a bad day or something. I seem to remember something about him having a bad show two years ago in Chicago...something stolen...something along those lines.

He's generally a good guy from my experiences.

The one guy I avoid like the plague is Rich Muchin. Not only does he sell restored books without disclosure, he's rude, obnoxious, arrogant and dismissive to boot. Plus, he never appears to comb his hair.

I just tried to find pictures of him to see if it rings any bells but all I could find were photos of Steve Borock? (shrug)

I think I might know this dealer and I want to confirm it. I believe the guy was trying to sell me multiple ASM 102s that all had restoration. But I am NOT sure it's the same dude.

Relatively tall and thin. Sandy brown mussed-up hair. Horse face with big teeth and an even bigger mouth. You can here him berating people 50 yards away. Never stops talking unless he's reading a newspaper in his booth... then you better not bother him.

Relatively tall and thin. Sandy brown mussed-up hair. Horse face with big teeth and an even bigger mouth. You can here him berating people 50 yards away. Never stops talking unless he's reading a newspaper in his booth... then you better not bother him.

Why hasn't he been video taped in action? :popcorn:

Don't bother the guy who is there selling comic books by trying to buy his comic books? wtf??? That's seriously messed up.

Why hasn't he been video taped in action? :popcorn:

An even bigger question, how the heck does a tool like that stay in business? ???

An even bigger question, how the heck does a tool like that stay in business? ???

He's got a lot of tough GA books. Sadly, if you got the goods, that often trumps personality and ethics to many buyers.

Plus, I suspect he has a lot of old school mail order catalog type customers. They simply are not aware of his restoration hijinx or abrasive persona.

Harley's prices are high, but he has some nice books you either don't see elsewhere or in really nice condition. I typically buy at least one book from him every Wondercon. And despite what's been said here, he will negotiate prices.

----

yeah, but he prices generic stuff through the roof too. though maybe those prices are more negotiable if he knows you, i dunno.

i have guys i try to deal with at every show around here i go to. do i feel "obligated"? i dunno, not really, but it's unlikely that they won't have anything i'm interested in either.

with that said, sometimes the show inventory just doesn't excite me. there have been times when i've bought 100-150 books from zapp comics. last time out I don't think I spent more than $10 or $15 with them. i dunno, maybe i got there late and they had already been cherry picked or they brought some newer stuff i was less interested in.

Boy, I forgot about him (if it's who I'm thinking of.) The few times I've approached his booth at Motor City he was rude. I'm amazed he's in business. Look, I'm in retail and it can be frustrating but it's still no excuse.

Oh, and Crazy Eddie wears me out if I get caught in his orbit. (That's no moon... ) I just don't have the time nor patience to deal with his selling style.