• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think you'll be collecting the rest of your life?

35 posts in this topic

Anyone that knows me know I'm big time into comics. I hope and pray I have comics in my life until the day I die. As a matter of fact I already have it arranged to have some comics buried with me when I'm laid to rest. No expensive keys so don't get any ideas of digging me up. grin.gif

Well, I sold my silver Age collection back in 1985, and have since got most of it back - in better condition than what I used to own. I remember how I felt after I sold it and I don't ever want to feel that way again. So, no....I don't think I'll ever and will definitely add to it as time goes on.

Do you think you'll be collecting the rest of your life?

Absolutely! I can't even fathom stopping completely again. Maybe an adjustment where I buy less and read more, or vice versa, but never a complete stop again. After coming back from a long hiatus 4 years ago, I realized just how much i missed collecting/reading/buying&selling and how much the hobby meant to me. Not to mention all the new friendships that come along with it.

I thank my Dad angel.gif for the 2nd chance and inspiration.

I'm a "lifer". sumo.gif

I'll be turning 50 this July. I bought my first Marvel off the stands in 1966, which to me seems an incredibly long time ago. There have been fallow periods when I have not collected, but I just seem to keep coming back, like Haley's comet. I had a big collecting revival in 1982, and then again in 2003. That should answer your question.

In 2034 I will turn 80, and probably be in the late stages of Alzheimers, so hold onto my contact info and you should be able to bilk me out of some highly collectible material! 27_laughing.gif

Anyway, you could be doing alot worse, like collecting nazi memorabilia or shrunken heads!

I really enjoy these boards! thumbsup2.gif No B.S.!

YES. I went cold turkey away from comics in 1973 but that only lasted 3 months. 3 years ago, I stopped buying new comics but I am spending more time than ever buying/selling/trading/posting about VINTAGE comics or original comic art. laugh.gif

I think I will be collecting until the end. I got out twice: once with a large SA collection and again (and deeply to my regret) 3 long boxes of pre-code horror. When I joined this place I had just started up again, often re-acquiring books. But I will say having a place like this to talk and lisrten - it has really impacted my perceptions and collector's knowledge. So now, literally every pre-code horror book I get I appreciate more. And I am refining my collecting a lot more. It is a fine thing.

I'll definitely be collecting something...

No guarantee how active the comic collecting will be...

But I have collected so many different things in my life that the need to make lists and fill them is obviously ingrained... Funny thing is, I really don't care about owning the material. Possession of it doesn't really matter to me. It's the thrill of the hunt. And there is always something new to hunt for...