• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think you'll be collecting the rest of your life?

35 posts in this topic

I think I probably will, but it's hard to say.

From the ages of 17 to 23 I was heavily into Zen, which knocked out any focus I had on money or material possession. That mindset persisted all the way up until about the age of 29 when I bought my first house and moved my comics out of storage and into the new house, which just happened to be mid-2000 right when the X-Men movie came out and re-sparked my interest in comics.

My goal of collecting many of the Marvel runs in high grade is solely responsible for me regaining an interest in money and material possession. If that ever gets out of control, I could end up deciding to get rid of it all at the drop of a hat...sort of like Nic Cage did after his distress over having his Action 1 and Detective 27 stolen by a friend, because your collection can begin to "own you more than you own it."

Great question. For me, I will always be a collector and comics will be my main focus. However, through the years my tastes change as to what I want to collect for fun and investment. A year ago all I wanted was Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men. Before that it was Lady Death, Purgatori and the better "bad girl" comics. Before that all I wanted was original EC horror comics from the 50s. When I was younger all I wanted was Flash and Batman. 20 years ago I bought 50-60 new comics a month. Ten years ago I bought 15 a month. Now I don't buy any new comics. At this time I am being nostalgic and am going back to collect the Bronze age comics of my youth, notably the DC 100-pagers, Werewolf by Night and Tomb Of Dracula. Currently I also focus on the adult comic book work of Armando Huerta found in the later very obscure Double Impact comics. It's always changing, that's what makes it fun. I even went through an action-figure stage and a non-sports card phase.

As another poster previously said, this place makes the whole hobby alot more fun. I only found you guys less than two months ago but I have already learned volumes as well as gained new interests. But my highlight of every year is the San Diego comic-con. Then it is no-holds-barred whatever looks cool at the moment I'll buy.

I would literally feel lonely without all my "comic stuff". Sure, there'll be times that I deplete my collection to buy something else but I'll build it up again. That's the fun part of it. When I was 16 I had a collection most 30 year olds would be envious of. But then guess what? Girls happened!! The comics had to be sold. By 20 years old I had girls under control and it was time to reinstate my comic-geek status and get back in. Now at 40, I'm in it for life. -----Sid

Do you think you'll be collecting the rest of your life? or do you think there will be a day when you get out of it? Just curious.

I suspect that I'll be a lifelong comics reader, at least to the extent of picking up a TPB every now and then. However, I suspect that my interest in back issues will be exhausted in the near future (I'm not a completist by any means). I'm still buying about a dozen new issues a month (down from about 20 a year ago) but am trying to cut that down to just a handful of titles I truly enjoy. Will I still be picking up new titles regularly 10, 20, 30 years from now? Maybe, but I wouldn't put money on it. I suspect by then I'll largely just be enjoying what I already own instead of actively seeking new additions to my collection, while getting my reading fix through TPBs.

Gene

I always thought I would be collecting comics forever but the fact is I haven't actually added much of anything to my collection for 15 years now due to other responsibilities. I find myself thinking the time to sell may be coming sooner rather than later. I don't like the idea of selling at all as they are a huge part of who I am but sometimes change is good. confused.gif

or do you think there will be a day when you get out of it? Just curious. Personally I think I'll be collecting for the rest of my life. It's in my blood. cloud9.gif

No....I'm sure there will come a time when the boxes of comics will have to go. When I'm too old to pick up a short box without threatening a back injury or heart attack would be a good time! 893whatthe.gif

Jim

That' a cool thread ! laugh.gif

I'm 35 and I've been collecting comics since 1982.

I've had a 3 years long pause but eventually I've come back to the hobby deeper than ever 2 years ago.

Fortunately, I haven't sold my collection during that pause 893applaud-thumb.gif

So I guess I'm in for the rest of my life, now confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't imagine I will be able to exhaust good comic reading material before I die! I grew up in Europe reading the "classics" Tintin, Asterix, Blake & Mortimer, Alix, Lucky Luke and more as well as Marvel reprints. Now I actively collect 50's US comics, get the most interesting archives, am almost done with the complete Prince Valiant (and other strips) and still buy some new stuff off the newstands (Bone, Y the last Man, Gotham Central, Fables, ...) while at the same time missing on coming on 10 years of reading my European collection and have lost touch with the new stuff back home. There is so much available (you can also add the top manga books) that it will keep me interested in the art form for my lifetime. Unlike collecting stamps or coins, there is true variety in our hobby.

so hold onto my contact info and you should be able to bilk me out of some highly collectible material!

Hey! #5 has dibs on those books! mad.gifwink.gif

I beg forgiveness from #5.....the alzheimer's must be kicking in already!

insane.gif

Congrats Aces on

2-2-2-2 posts! Don't post. Just enjoy the number for a while before you pop 2223! Cool!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Too too too too late.... smirk.gif

I took a decade-long hiatus from collecting from 1994 to 2003. I am now putting back together (in higher grade) the collection of Amazing Spider-Man and other Marvel Silver Age books that I spent my youth putting together, only to sell in 1994. I am having the time of my life doing it, thanks in no small part to this message board. Collecting is even more fun now than it was when I was a kid. I'll be collecting forever, or at least until they "Edgar Church" me some day.

As soon as I finish my Marvel Silver Age run, I am going to start looking at Golden Age books. I never thought I'd collect GA books, but after seeing so many "Pretty Books of the Day" on here, I am itching to get some.

I'd like to expand my original art collection as well, and have already started doing so.

or do you think there will be a day when you get out of it? Just curious. Personally I think I'll be collecting for the rest of my life. It's in my blood. cloud9.gif