• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get Slabbed - What do you think?

25 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm operating GetSlabbed.com, so thought I'd respond to some of the comments here. You're always welcome to contact me directly at stewart@getslabbed.com.

First, sorry for the spam of contacting many of you through the registry message system. Obviously I wanted to point you to the site, but I'm sincerely interested in your thoughts and didn't imagine that a single, hopefully polite message would be inappropriate. Of course, I knew there would be some who would disapprove, but I cannot start a business in a vacuum.

Second, yes the search functionality on the site was a bit confusing. It had been that if you used the SEARCH box on the home page, then it searched the entire site; so a search for, say, Spider-man, would return hits of the various books, but also mentions in articles on the site. But we fixed it! There are now two search boxes there. One for books and the other for site-wide references. Please let me know if this works better for you. You can also use the Search link in the Bids Menu on the top left of the home page or use the drill-down CATEGORIES link in the same menu.

Third, I already had a private email exchange last week with fantastic_four about the commission structure. Since 99% of the books listed on the site are presently in my hands or belong to me (seller ID s iecarus and getslabbed), I don't consider this to be a big issue as yet. As more sellers sign on and begin to post more books, then this will receive additional attention. I have definitely considered guaranteeing the transactions and even insisting on acting as a middleman for any transactions over a certain dollar amount. If you're worried about losing your money buying from this 99% of the books on the site, then a loss guarantee right now doesn't offer any protection, as clearly if I rip you off on the sale then I'm not going to honor a guarantee either. I can only point to my own track record, which for purpose of being an honest seller really only hinges on my 10+ years on eBay where I am user ID "iecarus".

Next, fantasyland asking prices? Please make me an offer if the list price is too high. Isn't that the basis for large starting prices on virtually every other comic site? In any event, the listed prices for the books are in almost every case lower than a GPA sale on record. Maybe that GPA price came from a perfect storm of bidders at a particular auction and so is very high, but that's why there is a mechanism to offer less.

Also, auctions lasting a year? Yep, because in order to appear in GPA links a listing must have an end date. Besides, the bulk of the listings are not really auctions anyway (though you could still win one with a bid before the end of the year), they're books available on a best offer basis. If you place a non-proxy bid for a book, then that bid goes through as a best offer that the seller can accept. This link will explain some of the different aspects of the bidding process on GetSlabbed:

http://getslabbed.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52:bids-a-bounties-site-basics&catid=35:getting-started&Itemid=126

There is also a first slate of lower-end books up for auction ending at 10:10pm this Sunday. Ten new books will appear for auctions ending similarly ever Sunday. The current books are here:

http://getslabbed.com/index.php?option=com_bids&task=tags&Itemid=82&tag=10at1010

Finally, thanks for the shout-out from electricprune. I appreciate your help with my ToD set!

I hope these answers/explanations are helpful, and I'll certainly check back to continue a dialogue with any of you.

Stewart

I placed a bid on a comic and the auction ended last night. It ended at an insanely low price. :whee:

I'm curious to see if they honor the sale. It was an auction, and I placed a proxy bid. If so, I could care less about the tons of e-mails I got too.