• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery 9 $42,550!!!!!

25 posts in this topic

Marvel Mystery #9: No Mystery at $42,550

Auctions/Prices, Scoop, Friday, February 13, 2004

The best-graded copy of Marvel Mystery Comics #9, certified 8.0, has sold for a record price of $42,550 at Heritage Comics Auctions in Dallas during their February 6-7 auction.

The sale, at more than 2.5 times the 2003 price for an 8.0 in The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, underscores the continued performance of high-grade comics. CGC's most recent census established the next-highest graded copy at 6.5.

Starting with a Alex Schomburg cover featuring a classic Human Torch - Sub-Mariner confrontation, Marvel Mystery Comics #9 has long been a highly sought after issue. Sub-Mariner creator Bill Everett and Human Torch mastermind Carl Burgos unleashed their characters against each other once again in this issue, which has been widely acknowledged for its scarcity.

4495_11882_1.jpg

This is a bit of a crazy price.

Were you involved with this Timely?

I found this sale to be interesting. The first time it came up for auction I believe Heritage bought it from itself for $30K+. The second time around it did not sell. The third time it sells for $42K+, a rather high price. Interesting, to be sure. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Timely

No, I am trying to get 8.0 and better. Curently I have no 7.5's or less and I am trying to keep it that way.

There's no way I'm gonna pay $42K for that book, my top price was $25K and I was blown away. I may have to get a lower grade copy. The Larson copy is on ebay now, if I have to get a lower grade copy I'd probably go for that one. I think the 8.0 restored copy went for $4K or so, that seems more reasonable.

Timely

PGC Mint bought that MM #9. It's listed on his site for 60K. This is one of those books where I think that once a VF+ or better copy gets CGC'ed, the value of this particular book will take a hit from what it went for. As scarce as it is, surely better copies exist out there than very fine. No? confused-smiley-013.gif

PGC Mint bought that MM #9. It's listed on his site for 60K.

I like Mark Wilson and have bought my fair share of books from him, but I will never understand the economics of how he runs his business. How can he pay top dollar for a big ticket book like this, then add a significant premium, and then expect to find a buyer? He was already the top buyer! Perhaps he takes the long view and figures eventually the market will catch up to his price, but I don't understand how he can tie up his capital for such a long time, even in these days of 1% interest rates. But maybe now we know why he's putting his FF #4 on eBay for a quick sale.

Am I imagining this, or does that 9.4 copy of FF4 listed on Ebay have a sliver out along the bottom right edge (near the Thing's knee) - and is it the scan or does it also have some edge darkening along the top and right side?

Am I imagining this, or does that 9.4 copy of FF4 listed on Ebay have a sliver out along the bottom right edge (near the Thing's knee) - and is it the scan or does it also have some edge darkening along the top and right side?

There is a thread on this auction on the Silver boards. One of the sharp-eyed forumites there will probably be able to answer your question better than me.

How the HELL does the Larson copy go from CGC 5.0 PLOD to CGC 5.5 Blue?

That's pretty upsetting.

Quite easily, in this case. The glue is easily removed by an exacto knife or possibly a solution that disolves glue. I believe CGC grades down one level when a book gets a Slight Restoration note, such as this one. Once the glue is gone it goes from a 5.0 to a 5.5! PLOD...no more! 893whatthe.gif

Timely

How the HELL does the Larson copy go from CGC 5.0 PLOD to CGC 5.5 Blue?

That's pretty upsetting.

Again this is why the PLOD is not not viable! No one reads the damn label and assumes its a Frankenstein copy when all it had on it was some dried glue that was probably put there in the 1970's!

Timely

I can say there is a at least a 9.0 running around(or maybe stuck in some dentist collection) When my partner and I purchased the 'Recil Macon ' collection in 1989 The Marvel Mystery # 9 was just about perfect. We graded the books conservetly and it was a NM+.(Better than the Recil Macon Sensation 1 which graded CGC 9.whatever, 4 I think) The book was purchased by Greg Buls and then sold to some collector on the East Coast. I am sure when it surfaces it will be either be the highest graded or 2nd Higest graded.( Havnt seen the Mile High) Really made a boo boo selling that book.

I can say there is a at least a 9.0 running around(or maybe stuck in some dentist collection) When my partner and I purchased the 'Recil Macon ' collection in 1989 The Marvel Mystery # 9 was just about perfect. We graded the books conservetly and it was a NM+.(Better than the Recil Macon Sensation 1 which graded CGC 9.whatever, 4 I think) The book was purchased by Greg Buls and then sold to some collector on the East Coast. I am sure when it surfaces it will be either be the highest graded or 2nd Higest graded.( Havnt seen the Mile High) Really made a boo boo selling that book.

Let's hope it was not cleaned and pressed like 90% of the other Recil Macons.

Did Rich Evans poker hand win him that one?!? 27_laughing.gif

Timely

bitman -

I own a couple of Recil Macons from 1941 - those have sub creases and an

address stamp on the back. Were all the later issues subscription copies?

Did he buy some titles off the newstands and subscribe to others?

---

Thanks a lot for the answer below. My copies are indeed WDC&S (#13 and

one more).

The only titles from Recil Macon that had sub creases were the Walt Disneys Comics and Stories and a number of the Fawcetts(Whiz, Capt Marvel,etc) Almost all the Timelys, DCs , were NOT sub copies. Offhand I dont remember any of the DC, Timely as having a SUB crease. ( Most of the Marvel Mystery 2-35,were in the VF-NM range with maybe the odd Fine.) The Cap run was very sweet 1-18 msotly VFs -NMs. The Cap 1 is a true 9.0+( The only timely, I kept).

There was also a number of VF-NM Fox(Phantom Ladys) Many of the ECs had a slight warp, due to where they were stored( Im sure these books were pressed and probably fell into the VF-NM range. The early DCs were in lesser shape(VG-Fine) with some notable exceptions. Sensation 1 NM. Green Lantern 1 NM, All American 16 ,F/VF,Detective 1 Fine* 2'X1' panel cut out.