• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery 9 $42,550!!!!!

25 posts in this topic

The only titles from Recil Macon that had sub creases were the Walt Disneys Comics and Stories and a number of the Fawcetts(Whiz, Capt Marvel,etc) Almost all the Timelys, DCs , were NOT sub copies. Offhand I dont remember any of the DC, Timely as having a SUB crease. ( Most of the Marvel Mystery 2-35,were in the VF-NM range with maybe the odd Fine.) The Cap run was very sweet 1-18 msotly VFs -NMs. The Cap 1 is a true 9.0+( The only timely, I kept).

There was also a number of VF-NM Fox(Phantom Ladys) Many of the ECs had a slight warp, due to where they were stored( Im sure these books were pressed and probably fell into the VF-NM range. The early DCs were in lesser shape(VG-Fine) with some notable exceptions. Sensation 1 NM. Green Lantern 1 NM, All American 16 ,F/VF,Detective 1 Fine* 2'X1' panel cut out.

Would you happen to know which one of the Recil Macons had been cleaned and pressed? Like Timely, I thought this was done to quite a few of them. Would this have included the Marvel Mystery and Cap runs since they seem to be in higher condition? If they were cleaned, would this have been through a dry process or an aqueous process as far as you know?

When the collection was found, most of the books were in really nice shape, The only books I had any knowledge of cleaning or any other type of restoration was the All star 1 and Captain Marvel 1. The books were flat glossy and had mostly offwhite pages. I am 99% certain none of the books were "washed" If any were cleaned it was some sort of dry cleaning. I remember at the time of sale to Greg Buls it was mentioned that he may have some of the books pressed.( All Flash 1,All winners 1) ( I believe Susan Ciccone did the pressing.) I currently still have the All Star run from the collection and they grade VF-NM and have never been pressed. There are probably a few that would raise from maybe a 9.0 to a 9.+ with a pressing but to me the difference would be neglible. I would feel quite secure in owning a book from this collection because in most cases RESTORATION simply wasnt needed. Hope this helps. Note: I believe the All winners 1 may have had some light work done. ( The book was damaged when Recil Threw the book on the floor board of his pick up when unloading the Cedar Chest) It was the top book. Dropped the grade at the time from a NM to a Fine +. Also I am certain The Ecs were pressed due to a slight warping of vertical storage.

I did a little research on pedigree keys a while back and found these RMs:

All Flash 1: CGC 90, Greg Manning 2000, lot 1660

All Winners 1: CGC 80(SP), Nicolas Cage, lot 5076 ("The book appears NM,

with perfect spine and edges, but has a small bump to the upper corner.").

Detective 38: CGC 15, Heritage March '03, lot 5900

Nickel 1: CGC 45(SP), Heritage Oct. '02, lot 6516

Sensation 1: supposedly 94, not documented

rm.jpg

How the HELL does the Larson copy go from CGC 5.0 PLOD to CGC 5.5 Blue?

That's pretty upsetting.

Quite easily, in this case. The glue is easily removed by an exacto knife or possibly a solution that disolves glue. I believe CGC grades down one level when a book gets a Slight Restoration note, such as this one. Once the glue is gone it goes from a 5.0 to a 5.5! PLOD...no more! 893whatthe.gif

Timely

Now hold on a minute... my understanding, from speaking to Mark H. at CGC, is that a GA book with a 'drop of glue at spine' or 'small drop of glue at upper staple' can get a Blue Universal label if the glue is deemed to be 'structurally insignificant'. That is, the glue is determined by CGC to be removable without reducing the structural integrity of the book. In such a case, the grade awarded the book is the grade the book would receive if the glue were removed, since removing the glue is kinda tied to the Blue label the book received.

I've not heard that book with glue could actually go UP in condition once the glue is removed, although there's some logic to that concept, depending on how visible / unsightly the glue drop is... but from everything I'd heard, a book given a PLOD for having a drop of glue is given the highest grade that book can achieve, since it's assumed by CGC that removing the glue in that instance would render the comic lower in grade and/or structural integrity - which is why it was given the PLOD in the first place...?

Only thing I can think of is that in this instance, the glue was not at the spine or a staple, and therefore had not impact on the structural integrity of the book to begin with. Thus it was viewed only as a "blemish" which, when removed, made the book look better and therefore of higher grade. But in that case, it seems strange that it was given a PLOD to begin with..?

It would be great to have Steve B. or Mark H. come on the boards and explain this one. I'm totally confused, based on what I'd been told by CGC previously...