• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's where the insanity stops!

31 posts in this topic

Seen some pretty silly prices for key silver age Marvels within the last week. Let's take a deep breath a keep a few things in mind.

1. Contrary to what some sellers claim, these books are not rare in high grade.

2. There are plenty of dealers to buy high grade Marvels from if you don't care to be gouged.

3. Let's try to imagine what is going to happen when these few buyers, who have just be raked over the coals, go to sell their hyper inflated Marvels.

I believe the same 8.0 JIM #83 that was offered on eBay for $6200, was available on Metropolis' site 2 weeks ago for $4200. Blazing had a 8.5 Hulk #1 on high site last month for less than $16000, Cheap when compared to the silly price on Heritage. A perfect Avengers #1 was available on the open market for $13000 last month. Cheap compared to $29,000 for the copy on Comiclink. Avengers #4 is a common book in high grade. Avengers #4 is a common book in high grade. Avengers #4 is a common book in high grade. Avengers #4 is a common book in high grade.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of people to buy books from that are not looking to hit a home run every time. The prices on comiclink would be justified if there were not alternatives. Collectors should and are able to buy CGC graded Marvels from dealers like Storms, Metropolis, Harley without having to morgage their house.

The Avengers 4 is only LISTED at a remarkable $29000. And as you see, it has received ONE hype-induced bid of 15K and no movement at all since. So to date, its just ONE over-enthusiastic (or greedy if you will) seller putting his best (?) book out there in what must have looked like an over-heated buying frenzy. Likewise the TOS and XMen in 9.2 for 10K more than they usually sell for.

The TTA sold quickly at 19000. Surprisingly high, but when was the last time such a nice copy surfaced? It can be argued that a HG Marvel collector paid "too much" happily just to get it. Perhaps he's into his other keys at remarkablt low prices and has upside to spread around.... either way, a HIGH price but not a 'stupid' one for an uncommon HG key. (not like 30K for Avengers 4 would be)

Then there were the three FFs that flew out of Comiclink. But everybody KNOWS here that FFs are SUPAHOT of late!.

All the JIMs that sell are starting to surprise me since no matter how many show up, they are snapped up because "JIM is a tough book in grade."

More surprising to me was the run of Marvel keys in lower grades that all sold quickly for about 10K two weeks ago.

ANyway, my point is that LISTing a book at an optimistic price is a sympton only of greed, not market inflation. And their faiure to find a 'victim' if proof of a saner and healthier market than the listing itself would suggest. no??

I wonder if Josh yanks listings that are insanely priced where the lister refuses to lower them? Perhaps I should put up ALL my Silver Age books at 10x market prices. If they sell, GREAT! I'll re-purchase them for more reasonable prices later. If not, oh well, they're part of my collection anyway. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

my gut feeling is that Josh has to try to get hi slisters to agree to the highest REASONABLE price so thta it will actually sell, but for as much as possible (since they BOTH benefit) He may have been swayed by recent sales data and let these aggressive prices go up on his site, hoping they wouldnt sit and stink up the joint and cause all our negative incesant chatter!!.

Realize that you can only bid at 50% of the listed price.

Therefore, if you would sell a book for $5K, then you might list it at $10K, so that someone can bid $5K. You might get lucky and get someone to bid up past the $5K price.

HooDeeDoo did this on a few of his books.

He listed them on the Market Forum at one price and then when they didn't sell he listed them on ComicLink for double the price.

The TTA sold quickly at 19000. Surprisingly high, but when was the last time such a nice copy surfaced? It can be argued that a HG Marvel collector paid "too much" happily just to get it. Perhaps he's into his other keys at remarkablt low prices and has upside to spread around.... either way, a HIGH price but not a 'stupid' one for an uncommon HG key. (not like 30K for Avengers 4 would be)

Who remembers Hoo-dee's video of that NY Con a few months back? When he asked Brulato about the grades on all his Silver Marvels ("Spidey 1?" asks HD, "9.8!" TB grins grin.gif) all was hunky-dory until he asked about the TTA 27 - Tom's answer - "I don't have one.". 893whatthe.gif

gotcha... but that a pretty ham-fisted approach that only seems necessary if 5000 is too a high price itself. You would still elicit a 5K offer on a 5K book when its was listed for 7 or 8K, right? And , maybe get a final offer over 5 as well...

Who remembers Hoo-dee's video of that NY Con a few months back? When he asked Brulato about the grades on all his Silver Marvels ("Spidey 1?" asks HD, "9.8!" TB grins grin.gif) all was hunky-dory until he asked about the TTA 27 - Tom's answer - "I don't have one.". 893whatthe.gif

I didnt mean TB specifically, not knowing him or what he needs (if ANYTHING the lucky pecker!), but yeah - -thats exactly the situation I was referring to...

You must not have heard of the new "Ant-man" movie - soon to be followed by antman cereal, figures, pjs, tooth paste etc! Antman mania will make Spidey mania look like Howard Dean after the Iowa caucus! Antman - the hero the troubled modern world needs. he would be a great anti-terrorist fighter a bet! He could travel along unnoticed in long beards and surprise the enemy with a ferocious insect attack.

Prices for Key books will most likely continue to climb higher because people see other people making a profit on them. New money will come into the hobby if people think they can make a profit safely in the future. Novices are more likely to over pay for a book at first. But I think CGC adds a bit of security for the new collector knowing that the book meets a certain grade requirement. I think people are pushing the buy button on Comiclink without knowing or caring about negotiation. They must feel that if they don't pull the trigger the books will be gone in a short period of time.

You must not have heard of the new "Ant-man" movie - soon to be followed by antman cereal, figures, pjs, tooth paste etc! Antman mania will make Spidey mania look like Howard Dean after the Iowa caucus! Antman - the hero the troubled modern world needs. he would be a great anti-terrorist fighter a bet! He could travel along unnoticed in long beards and surprise the enemy with a ferocious insect attack.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

TTA #27 is a tough book in high grade. We had the only 9.4 about a year and a half ago. However, it would be hard to place this book as a top tier Marvel key given the popularity of Ant-Man when compared to characters such as Thor and Iron-Man.

True. And it may not remain a Marvel key forever either. But for 40 years now it has, and for the forseeable future. If I had 9.4 or better of all the other keys, I would have jumped on this copy too. But since I dont, I would draw the line above buying this 'weaker' Key... (as it was I didnt have to decide - - it was gone before I saw it.)

TTA #27 is a tough book in high grade. We had the only 9.4 about a year and a half ago. However, it would be hard to place this book as a top tier Marvel key given the popularity of Ant-Man when compared to characters such as Thor and Iron-Man.

I'm in the market for a Vgish TTA27,as that is the last of the keys that I collect.. I know that I'm going to hear about that $19,000 book as a dealer expains that his 2.0 is a bargin at five percent of the going rate.At the Big Apple show,I picked up a TOS39 just as trade bait for the 27.Since I collect only 12 to 25 cent books,I can get away with no FF1,saving myself a few grand.So far this year I've gotten some great deals on Avengers4,Cap 100-110,Conan1 and a FF52-no bargins on early Antmans for some reason.Are these books the sleepers we've been overlooking?