• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie Comics introduces first Gay Character.

115 posts in this topic

When I started this thread, I wasn't aware of the first thread and was foolish enough to think that an actual discussion could ensue, but the attempts to derail began almost immediately. As far as intolerance goes, one form of intolerance I can accept is intolerance towards hatred.

I think my post about Reggie was on topic.

In what way was "I bet Reggie will be the first to get *spoon* in the *spoon*." on topic?

When he said "I bet Reggie will be the first to get *spoon* in the *spoon*." What he really meant by "*spoon* in the *spoon*" was "*spoon* in the *spoon*". You probably interpretted it as "*spoon* in the *spoon*" when that would just be gross and off topic. Really "*spoon* in the *spoon*" should read "*spoon* in the *spoon* no matter what" then you can see that *spoon* meant *spoon* and *spoon* meant *spoon*.

You see where you got confused?

When I started this thread, I wasn't aware of the first thread and was foolish enough to think that an actual discussion could ensue, but the attempts to derail began almost immediately. As far as intolerance goes, one form of intolerance I can accept is intolerance towards hatred.

In what way was "I bet Reggie will be the first to get *spoon* in the *spoon*." on topic?

When he said "I bet Reggie will be the first to get *spoon* in the *spoon*." What he really meant by "*spoon* in the *spoon*" was "*spoon* in the *spoon*". You probably interpretted it as "*spoon* in the *spoon*" when that would just be gross and off topic. Really "*spoon* in the *spoon*" should read "*spoon* in the *spoon* no matter what" then you can see that *spoon* meant *spoon* and *spoon* meant *spoon*.

You see where you got confused?

"Not that there's anything wrong with that"

He's a character in Archie Comics and I figured he would be the first to take advantage of this new plot twist.

So, if it was a new female character you would have said a similar thing?

No, I would have made a crack about Betty or Veronica and used the term "lickity split" in some manner.

:roflmao:

You must be quite popular with the ladies.

Back to the discussion. I was a bit surprised Archie Comics made this move. I can't see this character developing much as it would open up too many cans of worms. HIV, Gay marriage, hate crimes, discrimination, Broadway musicals.

I'm betting he gets quickly phased out or remains in the closet. Maybe Veronica will try to cure him of his gayness.

It's just not Archie.

Archie seems to be desperate these days. How else can one explain their current "Jersey Shore" arc.

I imagine their circulation is down quite a bit, just like the rest of the industry.

I have not read, bought or sold an Archie in years, so it really makes little difference to me.

As far as how they will handle the character, it seems having only one gay character is pretty useless. You need two to tango,so to speak.

I remember the fanfare when Archie brought in its first minority characters, but I've never read anything with them. Are they still around and featured or have they been shunted to the background?

They're are certainly trying to reboot somehow. They can't survive on nostalgia for their Golden and silver age. They need a genius to make a movie about Archie that actually works. But who?

A great new line of toys would help as well, and given this new direction the comic appears to be taking, I'd say that the vision of the person who designed this awesome toy squirt gun is a perfect match for helping us all enjoy Archie in an entirely new way.

21898.jpg

Care to guess which end you put the water into? hm

If it is irrelevant, why point it out? You're one of the most intolerant people I've met here, so why don't you practice your own preachings.

I'm intolerant for pointing our your intolerance? :lol:

No - this isn't the first time you've pulled kraap like this.

My kids are tolerant. I'm tolerant. That doesn't mean that I can't have an opinion different than yours. Go back and look at what you wrote, Mr. Tolerant.

I'm saying I don't necessarily want my kids reading about gays in Archie Comics.

Then don't buy them Archie books. Problem solved. If you want to be a small minded bigot you'll have to do it in some other comic.

Why do you have to start name calling?

People are allowed to have differing opinions based on spiritual beliefs without singling them out as bigots.

(shrug)

Not in today's society - the left firmly quashes any "freedom of speech" that they don't like, attacking the person for being "intolerant" or calling them "bigots" because they have a differing opinion. They've got it down to a science.

Yet it's perfectly okay for the left to call, Tea Partiers "Tea-Baggers". Double-standard anyone?