• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Comic Book History Lesson--The Story of the Outlaw Sam Bass

35 posts in this topic

Very cool, man... thanks for sharing! The history of the Old West is a fascinating subject, filled with characters of larger-than-life proportions :D Good to know the true story.

Very interesting stuff, thanks. I spend a week or so every year in the southwest taking landscape photos (amateur) and I always make a point to photograph the graves of the famous Old West figures when I get the chance.

I am in Austin a lot for business, the company I work for is headquartered there, I am now going to find time during my next trip to Tx to head up to Round Rock for some siteseeing, this is great stuff. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the comic history lesson. I'm pretty sure there was at least one other Golden Age story about Sam Bass. Not sure if it was a Hillman, Atlas, or other western comic.

There seem to be quite a few:

Desperado #1 (Lev Gleason)

Sam Bass, the Cross-Eyed Dead Shot!

story / 9 pages

June-July 1948

Four Color #357 (Dell)

Sam Bass

filler / 2 pages

November 1951

Gunsmoke #8 (Youthful)

Sam Bass and the Deadwood Stage

story / 6 pages

August 1950

Kit Carson #8 (Avon)

Wild Bill Hickok and the Fight with Sam Bass (reprint most likely)

story / 5 pages

August-September 1955

Six-Gun Heroes #71 (Charlton)

Sam Bass

story / 1 page

November 1962

Western Killers #60 (Fox)

Sam Bass the Kind-Hearted Killer

Sam Bass / story / 11 pages

September 1948

Western Outlaws And Sheriffs #61 (Marvel)

The Double Cross of Sam Bass!

story / 8 pages

March 1950

Western Winners #7 (Marvel)

Chance Pagan / Sam Bass

story / 9 pages

December 1949

Wild Bill Hickok #10 (Avon)

Wild Bill Hickok and the Fight with Sam Bass

story / 5 pages

February 1952

There's Sam in the upper left.

KingoftheBadMenofDeadwood.jpg

I guess I was basing my initial impression on the cover appearances of Sam. I actually just saw this book in the CLink auction and feel that I am compelled to make a go at it. :) It is obvious that my boy Sam was alot more popular than I ever realized. Should have checked the GCDB for all of his appearances. Oh well, you all get the idea of what I was trying to do...share a "story" and the truth about our Round Rock legend.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Just getting around to reading this and, while it was quite interesting, I was puzzled as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Action 1. (shrug)

Just getting around to reading this and, while it was quite interesting, I was puzzled as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Action 1. (shrug)

Alan,

I actually started this thread before i was notified of my "penance" I will try to get the first Action 1 thread started tomorrow. lol

There's Sam in the upper left.

KingoftheBadMenofDeadwood.jpg

I guess I was basing my initial impression on the cover appearances of Sam. I actually just saw this book in the CLink auction and feel that I am compelled to make a go at it. :) It is obvious that my boy Sam was alot more popular than I ever realized. Should have checked the GCDB for all of his appearances. Oh well, you all get the idea of what I was trying to do...share a "story" and the truth about our Round Rock legend.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Sorry, but this is the comic that WAS on Comic Link's auction. I asked them last Thursday if I could pull it out because I all of a sudden got an itch to start collecting westerns. They agreed to if they received something to replace it in the same price range before the auction started. I'll pm you if I come across any Bass covers in my searches though.