• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB! Its almost time for a Shelly--Mission accomplished!!!

49 posts in this topic

I have been looking at getting an original Shell Moldoff drawing for my personal collection. I saw a very large one at a comic-con this weekend, but it seemed a little higher than I thought it would be. Does anyone have any for sale so I can judge the market on these?

Not just tire kicking here, I am interested in buying a piece, I just want to do a little research before jumping into a market I know nothing about!

Thanks guys!

joker-fish,

What size of water color by Shelly are you looking to buy? His larger paintings on heavy twice-up :luhv: artboard or smaller 8.5 x 11 inch paper?

Here's mine: Shelly GA ...it's a poster-size (24" x 36") tribute to GA superheroes with a prominent place on my wall :cloud9:

Indeed, artboard is heavy, double-thick and make the colors really POP!

joker-fish,

What size of water color by Shelly are you looking to buy? His larger paintings on heavy twice-up :luhv: artboard or smaller 8.5 x 11 inch paper?

Here's mine: Shelly GA ...it's a poster-size (24" x 36") tribute to GA superheroes with a prominent place on my wall :cloud9:

I had this exact piece and it always bothered me that there was more than one out there. Joker-fish, you'll have to be aware that apparently Shelly did multiple copies of different commissions. I am a big fan of his stuff, just be aware of this fact....It may not bother you, it's a personal thing.

And since you're looking for a Moldoff piece, I thought this was right up your alley ;)

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=7275&Details=1&From=Room

joker-fish,

I had this exact piece and it always bothered me that there was more than one out there. Joker-fish, you'll have to be aware that apparently Shelly did multiple copies of different commissions. I am a big fan of his stuff, just be aware of this fact....It may not bother you, it's a personal thing.

And since you're looking for a Moldoff piece, I thought this was right up your alley ;)

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=7275&Details=1&From=Room

I saw that piece yesterday on Mikes site when I was fishing for the perfect page, and I do like that one a LOT!

It doesnt bother me too much that there are multiple copies of the same piece out there, it actually gives me hope that I can find one that someone else has already!

I do see how it would be turn off though

Re: Multiple Copies of a Piece

My Swan Superman has at least one twin. If you click on the link, you'll see mine. If you scroll down to the Additional Images, you can click on a scanned image from Zeno's biography of Swan. The images are subtly different.

I've often wondered how many siblings are "out there."

Dino,

I know I mentioned it before, but your Moldoff is awesome. It's on my CAF favorites.

Alex

Likewise, I admire your Moldoff Batman piece...outstanding! (worship)

As a GA comics buff and knowing how scarce and expensive GA original art is, these huge Moldoff paintings really can be appreciated.

Dino

In my opinion, almost any Moldoff is worth having, I have three and I love them. A colorful and vibrant tribute to a bygone era. I have spent most of my collecting time tracking down artists of that era for commissions. Unfortuantely I started after Shelley stopped taking them, but was able to find some pieces I really like online. best of luck with your search.

My "theme" is simple - the artists and the characters with whom I associate them.

So, Moldoff/Batman was a must. I loved the stories - goofy as they were.

I'd love to find Sprang, Jerry Robinson, and Lew Sayre Schwartz pieces to complete the quartet. :)

Oh, yeah and that Adams guy, too.

Funny thing is, I have very little interest in anything Bob Kane drew.

Here are mine:

Untitled-1copy.jpg

Flash10.jpg

I don't know what happened with the color on the Flash cover. It looks faded, but the whites are still birght, so it looks more like just a light coloring job.

(shrug)