• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The review is in! IRON MAN II Is a STINKER!

332 posts in this topic

I finally managed to coax a friend of mine to go with me to see Iron Man 2. I originally had extremely low expectations assuming Hollywood would feel they had to jazz up the amount of action in the film with more explosions, bombs, gattling gun wrist action and silly "comedy scenes" thrown in as breaks in the action.

Then I started reading this thread and how many of you enjoyed the film, so I went today with a much higher expectation.

Boy was I mislead.

What I got was exactly what I expected in the first place, alot of WHAM POW KABLAM with what could of been a very compelling story mixed in there and all fragmented via senseless action and a ridiculous scene of drunken Tony wearing the Iron Man suit doing the stale and old DJ wakka-wakka on the CD bit. Droid Iron men units ala Star Wars droids of uselessness were ineffective villains, and were a waste of time. And why did Whiplash have to appear in yet another variation of the Iron Man suit?

1.5 out of 5 stars for me.

Very disappointing film, the title of this thread rings true.

If they do actually decide to make another Iron Man film, may they please have no other Iron Man in it other than the main character.

WOW! That was brutal man ???

Maybe he's a DC fan lol

WOOHOO!!!! Iron Man 2 is still #1 movie in America :banana:

Screw you Robin Hood :P

Even though it was a far better film . :sumo:

Why do they keep making them? Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone and Olivia DeHaviland. Nuff said.

Actually,I heard its a pretty boring movie zzz

It was classic, old-fashioned, hokey fare that despite playing fast and loose with history and being a bit overplotted was thoroughly enjoyable. The point was that at least it looked as if the film-makers had put a bit of thought into it.

I guess I haven't tired of cynical overblown action-adventure epics as much as I have of cynical overblown super-hero fluff. :sumo:

Why do they keep making them? Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone and Olivia DeHaviland. Nuff said.

It was classic, old-fashioned, hokey fare that despite playing fast and loose with history and being a bit overplotted was thoroughly enjoyable. The point was that at least it looked as if the film-makers had put a bit of thought into it.

I guess I haven't tired of cynical overblown action-adventure epics as much as I have of cynical overblown super-hero fluff. :sumo:

Well,at least you liked it :grin:

For me I just want to see things go BOOM :headbang:

You need to remember what it was like to have to pretend the type of stuff that they can do on-screen now. For me it was the summer of '75 and i spent hours every day pretending to be the Vision or Iron Man (or Superman if i was wearing my cape).

Any comic fan that can't tap into that and enjoy the Iron man franchise is missing out big time. Talented actors, interesting concepts and great effects. Not Oscar winning, certainly, and there were some aspects that were ham-handed. But anyone with an inner little Marvel Zombie should be able to enjoy the heck out of them. If not, then that is too bad.

Any comic fan that can't tap into that and enjoy the Iron man franchise is missing out big time. Talented actors, interesting concepts and great effects. Not Oscar winning, certainly, and there were some aspects that were ham-handed. But anyone with an inner little Marvel Zombie should be able to enjoy the heck out of them. If not, then that is too bad.

I guess I've lost touch with my inner Zombie. :cry:

And who when they were kids didn't want to be a super-hero? I bet Greggy had fun with that magic lasso.

I guess I've lost touch with my inner Zombie. :cry:

And who when they were kids didn't want to be a super-hero? I bet Greggy had fun with that magic lasso.

Finally saw it Sunday. There were enough enjoyable moments to keep me

entertained. I just think it is cool that IRON MAN, a comic book that I read

40 years ago is in a movie TODAY and more importantly, it is the NUMBER ONE

movie in the country. The glass is half full. :sumo:

You need to remember what it was like to have to pretend the type of stuff that they can do on-screen now. For me it was the summer of '75 and i spent hours every day pretending to be the Vision or Iron Man (or Superman if i was wearing my cape).

This is what I remind myself every time I walk into the theatre to watch a hero flick.

I've been waiting to see this stuff for almost 30 years.

My but we get desensitized quick.

If this movie was released in 1980 it'd be an Oscar contender.

lol

This is what I remind myself every time I walk into the theatre to watch a hero flick.

I've been waiting to see this stuff for almost 30 years.

If this movie was released in 1980 it'd be an Oscar contender.

lol

It doesn't always work. It could barely suppress my impulse to vom when i saw Elektra. But for a movie as good as this one was, it worked just fine. :grin:

I wouldn't say that - there have been one or two films that have surprised and enthralled me in the super-hero genre, and yes, have brought back memories of those golden days when comics dominated your imagination, as opposed to these days where they just dominate your wallet.

Dark Knight was an example of what could be achieved by a film-maker who understood the super-hero mythos and how to make it work (and also transcend it) in another medium.

Although not a super-hero film, Pan's Labyrinth was inspired by a classic House Of Mystery story (illoed by Neal Adams no less) that was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. The film itself is my favorite movie of the last several years.

So yes, I may be a cynic, but that communal feeling of comic magic that exists in our memories does still manifest itself occasionally.

Dark Knight was an example of what could be achieved by a film-maker who understood the super-hero mythos and how to make it work (and also transcend it) in another medium.

It's funny that you mentioned Dark Knight. I loved that movie. But I commented to whomever i saw that movie with that it could have been just as good if it had Denzel Washington portraying a detective as the protagonist as it was with Batman as the protagonist.

I finally managed to coax a friend of mine to go with me to see Iron Man 2. I originally had extremely low expectations assuming Hollywood would feel they had to jazz up the amount of action in the film with more explosions, bombs, gattling gun wrist action and silly "comedy scenes" thrown in as breaks in the action.

Then I started reading this thread and how many of you enjoyed the film, so I went today with a much higher expectation.

Boy was I mislead.

What I got was exactly what I expected in the first place, alot of WHAM POW KABLAM with what could of been a very compelling story mixed in there and all fragmented via senseless action and a ridiculous scene of drunken Tony wearing the Iron Man suit doing the stale and old DJ wakka-wakka on the CD bit. Droid Iron men units ala Star Wars droids of uselessness were ineffective villains, and were a waste of time. And why did Whiplash have to appear in yet another variation of the Iron Man suit?

1.5 out of 5 stars for me.

Very disappointing film, the title of this thread rings true.

If they do actually decide to make another Iron Man film, may they please have no other Iron Man in it other than the main character.

I liked the North Korean Iron Man. :shy:

Vey true. (thumbs u

I wouldn't say that - there have been one or two films that have surprised and enthralled me in the super-hero genre, and yes, have brought back memories of those golden days when comics dominated your imagination, as opposed to these days where they just dominate your wallet.

Although not a super-hero film, Pan's Labyrinth was inspired by a classic House Of Mystery story (illoed by Neal Adams no less) that was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. The film itself is my favorite movie of the last several years.

So yes, I may be a cynic, but that communal feeling of comic magic that exists in our memories does still manifest itself occasionally.

THAT was a great movie....I hope to own it eventually. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a frind of jesus) (thumbs u

We just watched it and I think it was just okay. My wife didn't really like it and see liked #1, My 9 year old thought it was boring until the last 10 minutes, he kept asking when it was going to be over.That's too bad since he usually enjoys most super hero movies. I thought it was just okay, not good certainly not great.

Over all I was disappointed with the movie. I don't really like Scarlet but she was a decent Black Widow. She certainly has the figure for it, she looked real good in that leather suit.