• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are you buying at the LCS tomorrow 2/18/04 and why?

42 posts in this topic

I can't comment on that, as I have only ever read a few Flash stories, and they were by the current writer (Geoff Johns). I thought that it was pretty good, and will probably buy the new trade that came out last week.

But from the overall "tone" and "mood" of the book, I would guess that Waid would have been able to nail it pretty good. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've been enjoying Waid and Wieringo's FF, but it still doesn't hold a candle to Byrne's run on the title from 232-296. THOSE were the best FF comics since Lee and Kirby and still are.

Byrne nailed every note perfectly... Waid has had some bumpy spots, and Wieringo's Doom "shudder" - easily one of the worst redesigns IMO.

I thought Carlos Pacheco's run was pretty solid as well.

Kev

I read a TPB of the first 10 issues or so of that run and it was some of the most painful comic reading I've ever done. I loved the Byrne X-Men run and thought I might like the FF run. I was wrong.

To each his own, but I suggest you look again. Try the issues between 236 and 270. Take a very close look at 242-244's Galactus story and then tell me that Waid's Fantastic Four is still the best thing since Lee & Kirby.

Kev

To each his own, but I suggest you look again. Try the issues between 236 and 270. Take a very close look at 242-244's Galactus story and then tell me that Waid's Fantastic Four is still the best thing since Lee & Kirby.

Kev

Just for the record, I'm not reading FF so I have no opinion on the Waid Run. I tried the $.09 priced FF last year and only got about halfway through it before I decided to read something I would actually like. I have however read FF #1-50 and loved them. thumbsup2.gif

I have to agree. I LOVED Byrne's Fantastic Four in general and that Galactus story is just awesome.

Back to the topic at hand, in addition to my planned purchases I grabbed Silent Hill #1 and last three decent copies of Action 812 (when does the money start pouring in?)

Why three copies of Action 812?

Back to the topic at hand, in addition to my planned purchases I grabbed Silent Hill #1 and last three decent copies of Action 812 (when does the money start pouring in?)

It's the "hot new thing." Michael Turner on Superman begins. I bought those puppies and now I'm just going to watch the money pour in.

It's the "hot new thing." Michael Turner on Superman begins. I bought those puppies and now I'm just going to watch the money pour in.

Speculator! stooges.gif I've been reading new comics for four years now and I have no idea who Turner is. What has he written in the last four years?

Speculator! stooges.gif

You know it!

Actually I only picked them up because I knew they were already commanding a premium (it came out last week.)

I've been reading new comics for four years now and I have no idea who Turner is. What has he written in the last four years?

He's best known as an artist:

fathom.jpg

laracroft.jpg

sign-rantpost.gifImagine my surprise when I goto the LCS to get Adv. of Supes 625, and the guy says, "It's sold out." Already I ask in bewilderment (it's 2:30). "Yeah, they never even hit the shelf." I'm wondering what the hell is going on, when his buddy, the LCS lurker says that he'll sell me one for $10.00. Clearly I was curious if he'd kiss me when he [!@#%^&^] me, but he didn't answer my querry. Fortunately, there's a second LCS that had plenty, so I'll never be going back to the numbnuts of the Northern store. Is this SOP now? I just can't imagine. foreheadslap.gif

Speculator! stooges.gif

You know it!

Actually I only picked them up because I knew they were already commanding a premium (it came out last week.)

Not a very good one. frown.gif they are selling for less then cover on E-bay. But they sure do look purdy.

DAREDEVIL #57

DC THE NEW FRONTIER #2 (Of 6)

FANTASTIC FOUR #510 (#81)

PULSE #1

RUNAWAYS #12

SUPERMAN BATMAN #6

SUPERMAN SECRET IDENTITY #2 (Of 4)

ARKHAM ASYLUM LIVING HELL TP

MARVEL MASTERWORKS AMAZING SPIDER-MAN VOL 5 2ND ED

SOJOURN VOL 4 THIEFS TALE TP

WONDER WOMAN GODS AND MORTALS TP

Aside from the above, I also picked up:

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #625

SPIDER-MAN/DOCTOR OCTOPUS: NEGATIVE EXPOSURE #5

THE COMICS JOURNAL #258 (for the Ditko article and Sim letter)

Kev

I stayed true to my promise and avoided New X-Men #153.

they are selling for less then cover on E-bay.

The second prints maybe. These are just the next three first prints closing:

$5.50 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2225044726&category=17084

$3.25 (with $4.00 shipping) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2225002037&category=17084

$3.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2225148864&category=17084

I'm buying too damn much now!

I've been sucked back in and am buying 15+ titles a month with more anticipated. I made a deal with my LCS owner since I'm spending a fair amount. 20% off across the board with 1st opp to screen/select my books when they come in... and 40% off any duplicates I pre-order. I realize I have to spec on some new books to feed the habit now.

I grabbed

(4) 9.8 Action 812 1st print...................ca$h in insane.gif

(2) Adventures of Superman 625.........ca$h in insane.gif

(5) Pulse 1.....................(Loved Alias and ca$h in) cloud9.gif + insane.gif

Weapon X 17 & 18........(I've followed since the beginning, not bad)

Wolverine 11..................(I guess this is obvious)

Cap & Wolverine 3.........(I guess this is obvious)

New X-Men 153.............(I've enjoyed it since Zorn/Magneto??) confused-smiley-013.gif

X-Men 440.....................(?) sleeping.gif

DD 57............................(I like the run so far, except that damn collage-art crud)

Hey Kev/Darth... I've enjoyed New X-Men the last several issues. I started buying/reading around the Zorn/Magneto issue. Its better than any other of the X-books... which may not be saying too much. Uncanny and Extreme have not been page turners at all. Exiles is not bad though. I like the crawler clones.

Any good reads coming out tomorrow? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I have money in my pocket and I am ready to spend.

Nobody picked up Abadazad #1???

I thought it might be a sleeper hit with the return of Mike Ploog...it's got potential children's film franchise written all over it as well.

Gene

Picked up today (only a few):

FF#510 - Waid outdoes himself again! This book is so good. And after reading that garbage, "4", it was good to read the "real" FF.

Daredevil #57 - A little wordy, but still a great read. Bendis throws in a real good surprise at the end!

Goon #5: Hilarious as is the norm on this title. The art and writing match perfect. The book is so ridiculously simple. Didn't even know it was coming out today. Made my day! If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. Pick up the first trade.