• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My great Joe Kubert story at Wondercon, with SS pictures and the end of my story

44 posts in this topic

"You have a great heritage, and deserve to be proud of it."

- Joe Kubert

After the whirlwind of getting all my comics signed and handed over to the swell guys at CGC, I went and grabbed something to eat. I wandered the artist's alley and was able to look at the late Michael Turner's original cover and interior art at the Aspen booth. That was a great experience too, as I collect his work.

I'm not sure what time it was, but I decided to go back to the Kubert booth. I didn't really expect to see Joe Kubert again, or to talk with him, even though he had politely asked me to come back. As I rounded the corner I couldn't believe it....there was Joe Kubert, sitting by himself :o

He was just sitting there! He had a friend or business partner who was standing there too, so I decided not to intrude on Mr. Kubert's space. I figured maybe he was taking a well-deserved break. So I spoke to his assistant. His assistant recognized me and said, "Oh yes, Joe mentioned that you might be coming back. Did you want to talk to him now?" (worship)

If I was stunned before I was completely blown away now! :banana:

I stammered out, "Sure." He went over to Joe and I was then able to sit with the great Joe Kubert for about 20 minutes! I told him more about my late grandfather and he was very interested in his story. You see, I am of Native American ancestry. My late grandfather was of Maidu and Achumawi Native American ancestry. The fact that he was an officer in World War Two in the segregated military is a very significant story. And Joe Kubert, who's been in the service, took great interest in this. The quote above is the last thing he told me.

Before I left, Joe's assistant brought over a new book that compiles several of Joe, Adam, and Andy's art pieces from over the years. I said I wanted to buy several for my family. I flipped through one very fast, and saw a piece that caught my imagination. This piece represented my grandfather! I asked the great Joe Kubert if he would sign them for my family. He was very gracious and said yes :cloud9:

Here is the page he signed:

IMG_3069.jpg[/img]

And here is a close up that reads:

"To Chag (my nickname) Lowry, in honor of Sgt. Stan Lowry. Joe Kubert"

IMG_3070.jpg[/img]

And here is a photo of my late grandfather in 1997 with two of his soldiers from a reunion of the U.S. Army's 99th Infantry Division, the "Battle Babies." My grandfather was always a humble man who never attended a reunion prior to this one. He never spoke of the terrible things he saw and had to do in the war. He was a very quiet man. But my aunt persuaded him to dress in uniform, with all his medals, and walk into the ballroom where his men could see him for the first time since 1945. Needless to say, they were astonished. My aunt said that Stan was embarrassed by the attention, but he didn't need to be in my opinion. So, this is my story of how I met the great Joe Kubert, and a glimpse into why his art has meant so much to me and my family. Thank you to everyone who's read this post and commented on it! Mervin "Chag" Lowry

img007.jpg[/img]

These types of stories are the reason I love the boards.

Thank you for reminding me why the boards are amazing.

Thank you (thumbs u and thanks again to all who've taken the time to read through my thread here. I deeply appreciate it!

Mervin

That was a truly incredible story and many thanks to all of your relatives who have served to protect our country!

Thank you (thumbs u

Thanks again for the kind comments everyone! Guess what? When I first met with Joe Kubert and he signed my comics, Mike from CGC was there. He said he'd take a picture of me with Joe. So we posed really quickly.

Mike just emailed me the picture! ( (worship)(worship)(worship)

The awesome, talented, and gracious Joe Kubert and me!

JoeKubertandme.jpg[/img]

I need to visit the sig forum more often. I missed this awesome thread doh!

I was fortunate to meet Joe twice. Would love to again. Nicely done on those books. :golfclap:

I need to visit the sig forum more often. I missed this awesome thread doh!

I was fortunate to meet Joe twice. Would love to again. Nicely done on those books. :golfclap:

Thank you (thumbs u

I'll have a couple more pics of more books from this signing to share soon. :)