• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My great Joe Kubert story at Wondercon, with SS pictures and the end of my story

44 posts in this topic

I've never attended a comic con before. I had been slowly collecting the great Joe Kubert's DC war comics over the past year in the hope that I would one day be able to have someone get his autographs on them. Thanks to the post in this year's SF Wondercon thread by Joel Elad (thanks Joel (thumbs u I found out that Mr. Kubert and his son Adam would be attending. So I decided to attend the show.... hm

I went on Friday and arrived around one. I got to meet the the very nice guys at the CGC booth. I had brought all my Joe Kubert comics and didn't know what to do. The guys at CGC were very cool and welcoming to me. I sat down with Joe from CGC and he helped me arrange my comics and was very patient with me. It was very cool to think I would get Mr. Kubert's autographs.

After this I wandered around for a few hours. I met with Jesse (fingerprint.ink) who helped me get an awesome David Finch sketch. Since I've never been at a con before it was fun to see all the people in their costumes and everything. I looked at my schedule and saw that Joe and Adam were going to start their signing in a few minutes. I didn't know where they were, so I asked a lady at the Con booth to show me where to go, and after a few minutes of her looking through the guide, she said she didn't know and couldn't help me! doh!

I was pretty hungry at this time, a little woozy, and felt pretty disappointed. I decided to go back to the CGC booth and Joe was sitting there. I was about ready to go find something to eat. Joe asked me how I was doing so I said I tried to find the Kubert signing. He quickly looked it up and showed me where to go. It just so happened that as I arrived to watch the great Joe Kubert in person, Mike from CGC was next in the line. And he was holding my books.... :angel:

Mike saw me and recognized me. He said, "Here, these are yours, come get them signed." I was stunned :o I had my books, and all of a sudden I was shaking the great Joe Kubert's hand! I told him how I come from military family so his work is very important to me. He was the most gracious person and signed all my stuff. He said to come back to his booth later to talk more :D I then met with Adam Kubert too!

I still can't believe how fortunate I was. My story continues, but here are some of the books I had signed first:

Joe Kubert's first DC war comic cover, All American Men of War #18

img011.jpg[/img]

Star Spangled War Stories #151 first appearance of the Unknown Soldier!

img012.jpg[/img]

Our Army at War #151 first appearance of Enemy Ace!

img015.jpg[/img]

Our Army at War #168, also the first appearance of the Unknown Soldier!

img013.jpg[/img]

Star Spangled War Stories #139, origin of Enemy Ace.

img016.jpg[/img]

Star Spangled War Stories #154, origin of the Unknown Soldier.

img014.jpg[/img]

Batman: Black and White #1, also signed by Jim Lee and inker Scott Williams. Joe contributed to the interior art.

img010.jpg[/img]

This is all for now, I will continue my story and post more photos later. Thanks for reading! Mervin

My thanks to those of you who've read this, and (thumbs u to all who've posted :)

After I shook the great Joe Kubert's hand I told him how I come from a military family. I told him that in World War Two I had 17 family members who saw combat as members of the United States military forces. I told him how my late grandfather Stanley served as a Sergeant (that's why I love Sgt. Rock!) in the 99th Infantry Division and fought in the Battle of the Bulge, and his division liberated a part of the Dachau concentration camp system.

I told him how my grandfather's brother Leonard served as a captain in the 32nd Infantry Division during WW2, and saw combat on New Guinea, Leyte and Luzon. I told him how both men earned Silver Stars (my grandfather Stan for taking 12 men deep behind Nazi lines right after they crossed the bridge at Remagen, my great-uncle Leonard for guiding an attack on Imperial Japanese positions atop a crucial hillside on Luzon).

I'm sure I spoke rapidly :blush: But Mr. Kubert was very patient, and said he wanted to hear more about my family. I also realized that I had brought a very big stack of books :blush:

Here are some more signed books. I'll write about how I got to spend 20 minutes BY MYSELF with Joe Kubert in a short while!

Men of War # 11. An emotional cover.

img022.jpg[/img]

Our Army at War #185. The flag as a symbol and as a character. A classic cover IMO.

img033.jpg[/img]

Our Army at War #158. This cover makes me think of my grandpa and all those men who fought in the Bulge in the coldest winter in about 100 years. Plus, who can go wrong with the evil Iron Major!

img032.jpg[/img]

Our Army at War # 191. An awesome cover! The detail, the composition, the two warriors, Rock and Johnny Cloud together, and the topper, Sgt. Rock blazing away with a machine gun from the plane's cockpit!

img034.jpg[/img]

I'll post more later!

Best,

Mervin

Three more covers!

Our Fighting Forces # 123. The first appearance of The Losers!

img017-1.jpg[/img]

Our Fighting Forces #181. Last issue.

img024.jpg[/img]

G.I. Combat #288. Last issue.

img023.jpg[/img]

Here are a couple of Enemy Ace comics I had signed too. I'll post the end of my story tomorrow, with an awesome photo! Thanks for reading and posting (thumbs u

DC Special from 1977.

img026.jpg[/img]

Enemy Ace Special from 1990.

img029.jpg[/img]

Showcase #57

img027.jpg[/img]

Showcase #58

img028.jpg[/img]

Star Spangled War Stories #138

img025.jpg[/img]

Here are my last four Kubert signed comics!

Sgt. Rock #412. Love this cover; the different tones and scenes in the background are great. Plus, Sgt. Rock gets the girl, Mlle. Marie!

img031.jpg[/img]

Star Spangled War Stories #157. A great story that bridges the two "first appearance" stories regarding the Unknown Soldier.

img035.jpg[/img]

D.C. Super-Stars #15. The Unknown Soldier and Sgt. Rock with Mlle. Marie! An awesome cover!

img036.jpg[/img]

Sgt. Rock #422. The first time Joe and sons Adam and Andy all worked together on a comic! Plus, the last issue of Sgt. Rock :(

img030.jpg[/img]

My last post on this coming soon...