• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did you find out about CGC?

53 posts in this topic

And how did you feel knowing that there was now a third party grading company for comics like there was for coins & cards?

Did you feel it finally Legitimized comic collecting? our did you think ''who would be stupid enough to pay for having books slabbed?

I thought it was a cool idea & still do.

Read about it in a CBG and thought...

interesting idea but lets see if it holds water in this hobby.

10 years later and i'm still curious about that... :insane:

:jokealert:

:hi: Nice to see a fellow Venture Bros fan.

I first saw it at one of the Chicago Wizard Shows way back when. I bought a Spidey #252 9.8 for the hell of it.

...I proceeded to get home, stare at the weird plastic case, made up my mind to see the inner workings of it, especially the inner well and broke it open - bending the book all to hell in the process. I looked like a monkey trying to hump a greased football. Good times!

In 2003 when I got back into comic collecting after a 13 year hiatus.

The first book I bought was an Iron Man #1 in CGC 9.2 blue label Western Penn. I proceeded to buy several different books in various grades to learn the "NEW" grading. I am glad CGC happened, as much as I am glad the internet way of collecting happened as it made me a far better grader of books than I used to be.

It was in 2007. A buddy of mine collected CGC books. When I walked into a LCS I saw the slabs on the wall. My first reaction was HOLY mess!

Then it went down hill from there :)

All I can think of nowadays is holy carp - why would you slab that piece of shiite? :o Or wow! The last time I saw that book in its old CGC case, it was a full two grades lower :cool:

And, every time I pick up SA slab for 9.95 on eBay, it's like...., wowzers, that seller-guy got hosed on grading fees, eBay fees, postage, and god knows what else :shrug:

But hey, I guess it feeds some grader guy his next Big Mac. :eek:

And, after a hard day of cracking books out of slabs, I feel bad for future generations that are going to have to live with all those shards of plastic waste, filling up their landfills and washing up on their beaches. It's a horrible legacy, man....., :sorry:

Pre-launch.

I had concerns, but also could see the benefits.

In ten years not much has changed, although the number of ways that an individual can 'game' the system has surprised me. I thought it could take the pain and worry out of buying. In some ways it has, in others it's simply added to them. doh!

Pre-launch.

I had concerns, but also could see the benefits.

In ten years not much has changed, although the number of ways that an individual can 'game' the system has surprised me. I thought it could take the pain and worry out of buying. In some ways it has, in others it's simply added to them. doh!

Same here on everything, but you can't deny the benefits it provides to buying books over the internet. I believe those same benefits greatly outweigh the disadvantages created by those who choose to 'game' the system. Tread carefully, I don't want this to lead to pressing thread 82,713.

I saw my first CGC at a local con in raleigh in 1999 or early 2000.

My first thoughts were, that is just cheesy I can grade books on my own accord

why in the world would I need that.

Little did I know that people were so damn good at resto so I slowly changed my tune.

I bought my first CGC book in 02, based on the fact it was a good deal on ebay

ASM 102 7.0 for $20 shipped. When I go it , this was the first time I had a chance

to hold one and was impressed by the quality of the holder.

I went to read more info about it and I saw these boards. I never was a "forum" type

so I was just a casual reader until '04 then I jumped in here. To this day this is the only

boards I have really stayed at more than a week.

Cool place. Cool company.

(thumbs u

First heard about them shortly before my join date.

Was just looking for a place to discuss comics and this came up at the top of the google results.

I'm not a slabbie and never will be.