• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did you find out about CGC?

53 posts in this topic

I think it was around 2003-2004 when I first learned about CGC. It took me awhile to warm up to the idea of having my comics entombed, but now I've gone slab bonkers and now have well over 500 slabs. (thumbs u

I first saw it at one of the Chicago Wizard Shows way back when. I bought a Spidey #252 9.8 for the hell of it.

...I proceeded to get home, stare at the weird plastic case, made up my mind to see the inner workings of it, especially the inner well and broke it open - bending the book all to hell in the process. I looked like a monkey trying to hump a greased football. Good times!

You, sir, just joined my sig line club. Enjoy the perquisites!

I was at the Comics show near the old stadium in Philly around Christmas of 1999(I could be wrong about the date). Steve Borock was there, selling books. He told me about what was soon to be CGC and answered my objections(I didn't like the idea of slabbed books). I also got a low grade but nice Batman #8 from him.

And how did you feel knowing that there was now a third party grading company for comics like there was for coins & cards?

Did you feel it finally Legitimized comic collecting? our did you think ''who would be stupid enough to pay for having books slabbed?

I thought it was a cool idea & still do.

Ditto on thinking it was a cool idea.

I was on the ComicPriceGuide boards when encapsulation arrived and I really thought it was a great idea...as originally presented.

What slowly evolved / revealed was a wild, wild west wilder than ever imagined. :o:(

It's probably an idea that will never happen. If there was any money in inspecting comics and providing a detailed report someone would be doing it by now. (shrug)

I was at a Big Apple Con in 2001 and Blazing Bob had a FF #1 CGC 8.0. (It was 8.0, if memory serves me correctly). He was showing it to a group of us standing around his table and he was commenting that he thought it should have been graded .5 higher. And he showed another higher graded book which did not present nearly as nicely (yellowed) as the FF #1.

I remember asking Bob why a .5 difference was such a big deal. lol He was very cool in explaining to the CGC rookie how .5 can make a big difference on a book like FF 1.

A few years ago when I got back into collecting and reading, I was a ta comic show in Portland. I overheard a conversation where a dealer said CGC would be a passing fad. I wonder if he feels that way now?

Does the discussion about having a professional comic grading company that took place in the late 80's/early 90's count...? ;)

I first heard about actual CGC in 1999, probably on the eBay comics board or maybe that summer working "in the industy."

Knew it was coming. Read about how they were going to do it. First 3 books I saw. Disagreed with 2 of the grades. Got a lot of early bad reactions from most collectors dealers I knew. Few years later, came on these boards, gave Steve a bad time on his Action 1 grading.

Over time, started to like them more and more.

They still have problems, but they are the best graders out there.

Other than myself of course. :grin:

Read about it in a CBG and thought...

interesting idea but lets see if it holds water in this hobby.

10 years later and i'm still curious about that... :insane:

:jokealert:

:hi: Nice to see a fellow Venture Bros fan.

Hell yeah! For you my friend :foryou:

I love that show :roflmao: