• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We all know who sketches, but who doesn't?

42 posts in this topic

Excuse me if this has been done before but I figured I'd throw this out there.

We all have a pretty good idea of who will sketch on a blank cover at conventions, the question is who won't. I'm not talking sketch books here, this is strickley blank cover comics. This thread has two benefits, first that we don't waste our time waiting on lines just to be turned down and second that we don't annoy the artist. Some do get a little put off by it.

Here's a few that I have been turned down by in the past and some I have heard about on these very boards. Some artist won't sketch at all and some stopped sketching at some point in time. I'm looking for a list of both.

Stuart Immonen (turned me down and then I bought one off a board member)

Todd Mcfarlane

Jim Steranko (turned me down year after year)

Gene Colan (I believe did at one time and stopped, plus I heard he's done with cons)

Don Rosa

I'm sure there's more that I just can't think of.

Important side note:

Ebas has quit sketching on slick comic blanks like Aphrodite IX preview because the covers are too slick. He demonstrated what he meant on one corner of mine & told my contact that he will never do one on an AIXp again. I was pretty bummed about that because I have a Shi by him already & was hoping for an AIX & a Red Sonja following that. Time to get my hands on a Jay Co blank AIX, I guess.

Chris,

I think the list should only consist of those who won't sketch AT ALL. I've seen CGC SS sketch examples from all of the above, so all can be gotten...it's just harder.

Agreed Danny.

We both know one board member in particular who has most, if not all, of the tough to get artist. ;)

There are sketches out there from just about every artist that will find their way to this list, but I'm looking for those that say no 99% of the time.

Gene Colan is iffy, I just read an interview with him and he said he still feels the need to draw, and he didn't rule out conventions in the future, but air travel is likely out.

Joe Kubert doesn't sketch at cons at all, and get the impression Adam and Andy don't either.

Although Michael Zulli was a no show at Chicago, he announced on his site before hand that he would not sketch.

P. Craig Russell has not sketched at any of his appearances in the last couple of years.

andy will do a raffle sketch for heroes initiative at any show he's at. Usually does a few and charges $250 for a head sketch. You can sometimes find Joe Kubert sketches in HC that he has donated to HI. Adam I think, also does sketches for HI at shows.

DON ROSA will sketch, just NOT on blank comics.
Must be a new thing, I've seen him do it before ???

Do a search of ebay for don rosa SS. There is a colored uncle scrooge cap on there that was personalized then colored over. That was the last straw :(

andy will do a raffle sketch for heroes initiative at any show he's at. Usually does a few and charges $250 for a head sketch. You can sometimes find Joe Kubert sketches in HC that he has donated to HI. Adam I think, also does sketches for HI at shows.

I haven't seen Joe sketch for HERO, but I have seen him do them in HC's for his school on a very limited basis.