• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Marvel Mystery Comics #30

19 posts in this topic

I would appreciate any opinions on this book. CF is detached. Does anyone think it is worth it to have the cover cleaned and stamps removed? What would you grade it in current state, after cleaning?

rfv23.jpg

Thank you for the reply. From reading grading guidelines I thought the store stamps on the cover would keep it in the 2.0 range, is this outdated information?

Thank you for the reply. From reading grading guidelines I thought the store stamps on the cover would keep it in the 2.0 range, is this outdated information?

CGC downgrades for them, but not nearly so severely. I have a slabbed 7.0 with a store stamp--granted it's not as extensive as what's on your book.

Stamps won't hurt too much on this book. It looks like somebody erased 20 cents on the cover? That's stands out more. There is nothing wrong with a dry cleaning that only removes soil, in my opinion, but it likely would not effect the grade much here.

The centerfold being detached may be a small issue, depends on what grade CGC would ascribe to this book. I could see this come back as 4.0 easy. I could also see it come back as 5.0 qualified easy.

That scuff in the lower front right, is the main problem to me.

At a minimum this book is VG.

Thank you all for the comments. Sounds like no one thinks it is worth having it professionally cleaned. I saw a few posts about absorbine which might be worth looking into since I think it would help the eye appeal of the book to get some of that dirt off. Looks like it could come back anywhere from 2.5-4.0, I'd be happy with a 2.5 blue label to be honest.

I'd think 3.0 is conservative. I wouldn't do anything to the book that would qualify as restoration. I'd have to agree with dry cleaning, if you want to brighten it up. # 30 is one of my favorite MM covers. Welcome to the Boards!

Dont clean !!!!

Store Stamps and date stamps are one of the cool things about the hobby !

IMHO

I agree when they are from the era of the book, but these seem to be from some second hand store that must have had this book at some time.

After this discussion, I am going to look into getting the book "dry cleaned" professionally but not restored in any way so that I can get a blue label. I suspect it will get a 2.5-3.0 but at least the yellow will be brighter if I get it dry cleaned and it will present better. I love the yellow Marvel Mystery covers and hate to leave all that grime especially if it will still get a blue label.

I would appreciate any opinions on this book. CF is detached. Does anyone think it is worth it to have the cover cleaned and stamps removed? What would you grade it in current state, after cleaning?

You know, I saw this book in Harley's auction and when it said "centerfold out", I took that to mean the CF was missing, not detached. Is the CF definitely there? Awesome deal if so.

Dont clean !!!!

Store Stamps and date stamps are one of the cool things about the hobby !

IMHO

I agree when they are from the era of the book, but these seem to be from some second hand store that must have had this book at some time.

After this discussion, I am going to look into getting the book "dry cleaned" professionally but not restored in any way so that I can get a blue label. I suspect it will get a 2.5-3.0 but at least the yellow will be brighter if I get it dry cleaned and it will present better. I love the yellow Marvel Mystery covers and hate to leave all that grime especially if it will still get a blue label.

:sorry:

So turns out the centerfold is missing and not just detached :sick:

Any ideas on how it would be graded? Would it just get a straight up 0.5 or a qualifed 4.0?

Thanks

You obviously have no experience with comic books...please allow me to evaluate you book in a honest and professional manner. Please allow my unsurpassed wisdom to set you on the correct path...

Dude...the staining on front is due to radioactivity...immediately put the book aside, package it up - be sure to pack it well in between two heavy duty pieces of cardboard and carefully wrap it up and place it in a large box with packing peanuts - then send it directly to me where I will dispose of it for you at my local radioactivity recycling centre. Please spare yourself and send me that book right away for your own health and security... :grin:

So turns out the centerfold is missing and not just detached :sick:

Any ideas on how it would be graded? Would it just get a straight up 0.5 or a qualifed 4.0?

Thanks

PS...all Timelys are great - even those that are missing their CFs... (thumbs u

Nice book none-the-less.

:signfunny:

Truth is I used to collect comics but now just wanted to pick up a few cool Golden Age covers to put up on the wall of my Man Cave :cool:

Just not sure how the whole qualified grade thing works...

So I guess the question is:

Should I slab this book to preserve it or leave it raw? I think if it was going to get a 0.5 I would rather leave it raw if it was going to get a 4.0 qualified I would be happier to get it slabbed, seems dumb but the 0.5 would bug me I think :blush:

Let me know what you guys think

Leave it raw, you never know if you'll find a coverless copy or a centerfold to marry it.

Lots of collectors love the slightly damaged goods for the right price.