• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book pests!

37 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a collection from a friend who had his boxes in a storage container. I brought the boxes in to my hobby room and set them near my collection. Since then, I've seen some silverfish around the room.

I'm trying to figure out how worried I should be, if at all - all my stuff is bagged and boarded, and the majority of stuff is off the floor. How damaging can these pests be?

Does anyone have any experience or advice in this realm? We have a exterminator who comes every few months - he usually sprays the outside, but I can get him to come in and spray around the boxes. I don't know if that would be worse or better :pullhair:

Silverfish consume matter that contains polysaccharides, such as starches and dextrin in adhesives.[2] These include glue, book bindings, paper, photos, sugar, coffee, hair, carpet, clothing and dandruff. Silverfish can also cause damage to books and tapestries. Other substances that may be eaten include cotton, linen, silk and synthetic fibres, and dead insects or even its own exuvia (moulted exoskeleton). During famine, a silverfish may even attack leatherware and synthetic fabrics. Silverfish can live for a year or more without eating.

:eek:

We used to have them when I lived on the westside - I think they preferred to eat carpet vs. comic books, so my books never got any damage from them. If your books are bagged, they can't do much damage, as if they can even find their way into the bag, they basically get lost in the bag. You should be able to buy some bug bombs at the hardware store and nuke them.

Silverfish can indeed feed on paper goods and glue from the binding of books.I am an Exterminator here in Calif.Dont have your pest technician spray near your boxes,go to your local Home Improvement center and ask if they carry silverfish packets.Place a couple of the packets under each counter Bathrooms,kitchen as they like to be around moisture.It's not a quick fix,but they should be gone in 2 weeks or so. (thumbs u

Did you remove the collection from your room yet? That would be the first thing so no more eggs hatch around your collection. I wouldn't wait go out to the local Bug and Weed store and buy Suspend SC. Its a white milky professional strenght insectide that you mix with water and put in a sprayer. Its pretty safe for indoor use. Spray all around the base boards door way and window. Do a light spray on the carpet where you store your boxes of books( after you remove them of course) after its dry put back your collection. I use this stuff inside and out of my house and never so much as hear a cricket chirp. Its high quality and lasts a long time.

Brian I am impressed,how do you get suspend SC ? I thought that was only available to professional techs. :applause: Very good advice as well,maybe a good tandem Silverfish packs under counters/spraying baseboards. (thumbs u

Silverfish packets - I'll check them out. Thanks for the advice! (thumbs u

They look like square pieces of paper and inside the paper is a product called boric acid,which is a powder that literally dries them up. (thumbs u

Brian I am impressed,how do you get suspend SC ? I thought that was only available to professional techs. :applause: Very good advice as well,maybe a good tandem Silverfish packs under counters/spraying baseboards. (thumbs u

Its actually available over the counter here in AZ.

Man with all the tree huggers here in Calif. we have so many regulations.pretty soon we'll only be able to spray water. :makepoint:

M

?? Its expensive 50.00 for a pint , but a little bit goes a long way as you know.

Are the packets pet safe? One of our cats lives in that room full time.

You don't place them where pets can get to them.Place the packets under the kick plate of your counters,you'll never have to remove them.

Man with all the tree huggers here in Calif. we have so many regulations.pretty soon we'll only be able to spray water. :makepoint:

But on the bright side, at least you'll have lots of sand to pound :grin:

:roflmao::taptaptap:

:roflmao::taptaptap:

Uhhhh......., lots of beaches in California...., :shrug:

Silverfish can indeed feed on paper goods and glue from the binding of books.I am an Exterminator here in Calif.Dont have your pest technician spray near your boxes,go to your local Home Improvement center and ask if they carry silverfish packets.Place a couple of the packets under each counter Bathrooms,kitchen as they like to be around moisture.It's not a quick fix,but they should be gone in 2 weeks or so. (thumbs u

:signofftopic:Thinking of a career change, but I don't know what i want to do when i grow up. How does one go about being an exterminator? Steady employment? hm