• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book pests!

37 posts in this topic

Get rid of the new books before your original collection and your house are infested. Seriously. If they are actually in the books, you've got a real problem. Get your money back.

Silverfish do like glue and sizing over paper, but it doesn't really matter, since they will destroy the paper while trying to eat the sizing. Typically, whenever you see insect damage on a book, it is from a silverfish.

I actually lived in an infested apartment for a couple of years, and I protected my collection by keeping it on wire shelves, with the legs in trays covered with a substance known as Dri-One, a very benign to human and effective substance. It was a mix of boric acid and cruched silica gel. My understanding is that the boric acid cut them, and the silica gel instantly began drying them out. Also, double sided carpet tape around the legs was great. Almost any insect will instantly get stuck anytime they as soon as they touch it.

Hmmm. I wonder what would happen if someone was bitten by a radioactive silverfish?

not certain it'd be a win for the budding superhero-the ability to eat paste is pretty common among elementary students.

But the villain "boric acid man" might be cool.

Silverfish can indeed feed on paper goods and glue from the binding of books.I am an Exterminator here in Calif.Dont have your pest technician spray near your boxes,go to your local Home Improvement center and ask if they carry silverfish packets.Place a couple of the packets under each counter Bathrooms,kitchen as they like to be around moisture.It's not a quick fix,but they should be gone in 2 weeks or so. (thumbs u

:signofftopic:Thinking of a career change, but I don't know what i want to do when i grow up. How does one go about being an exterminator? Steady employment? hm

The good thing about being an exterminator is there is always work,never had to worry about this economy thing.In California you have to be licensed for everything,stupid structural Pest Control Board doh! I am licensed for Branch 2 general pest,branch 3 Termite,Agriculture licensed,Wild Animal Trapping,Africanized Bees etc.The more licensing you have the more you get paid.I do make a good living and my benefits are great,the best thing I never had to worry about my job in hard times. :headbang:

Get rid of the new books before your original collection and your house are infested. Seriously. If they are actually in the books, you've got a real problem. Get your money back.

Silverfish do like glue and sizing over paper, but it doesn't really matter, since they will destroy the paper while trying to eat the sizing. Typically, whenever you see insect damage on a book, it is from a silverfish.

I actually lived in an infested apartment for a couple of years, and I protected my collection by keeping it on wire shelves, with the legs in trays covered with a substance known as Dri-One, a very benign to human and effective substance. It was a mix of boric acid and cruched silica gel. My understanding is that the boric acid cut them, and the silica gel instantly began drying them out. Also, double sided carpet tape around the legs was great. Almost any insect will instantly get stuck anytime they as soon as they touch it.

The silica gel-cuts

the boric acid-dries

(thumbs u

Silverfish can indeed feed on paper goods and glue from the binding of books.I am an Exterminator here in Calif.Dont have your pest technician spray near your boxes,go to your local Home Improvement center and ask if they carry silverfish packets.Place a couple of the packets under each counter Bathrooms,kitchen as they like to be around moisture.It's not a quick fix,but they should be gone in 2 weeks or so. (thumbs u

:signofftopic:Thinking of a career change, but I don't know what i want to do when i grow up. How does one go about being an exterminator? Steady employment? hm

The good thing about being an exterminator is there is always work,never had to worry about this economy thing.In California you have to be licensed for everything,stupid structural Pest Control Board doh! I am licensed for Branch 2 general pest,branch 3 Termite,Agriculture licensed,Wild Animal Trapping,Africanized Bees etc.The more licensing you have the more you get paid.I do make a good living and my benefits are great,the best thing I never had to worry about my job in hard times. :headbang:

Are there special classes to get certified or do learn as you go with an exterminaion company(Terminex,Orkin,etc)?

Are there special classes to get certified or do learn as you go with an exterminaion company(Terminex,Orkin,etc)?

A company will put you through the classes,don't quite know the requirements in Ohio.

Brian I am impressed,how do you get suspend SC ? I thought that was only available to professional techs. :applause: Very good advice as well,maybe a good tandem Silverfish packs under counters/spraying baseboards. (thumbs u

Its actually available over the counter here in AZ.

Man with all the tree huggers here in Calif. we have so many regulations.pretty soon we'll only be able to spray water. :makepoint:

Were "tree huggers" wrong about DDT?

Brian I am impressed,how do you get suspend SC ? I thought that was only available to professional techs. :applause: Very good advice as well,maybe a good tandem Silverfish packs under counters/spraying baseboards. (thumbs u

Man with all the tree huggers here in Calif. we have so many regulations.pretty soon we'll only be able to spray water. :makepoint:

No not wrong about DDT,but now they even complain that the smell from the "Eco friendly"mint oil bothers them.I mean come on,you want me to get rid of your bugs but are not willing to let me treat with anything that will kill them.Can't have your cake and eat it too!

I agree, I would take the books back and demand my money. damn I know my wife would have been upset with me infesting the house with bugs. :)

hopefully the collection can still be salvageable. good luck.

:wishluck:

A company will put you through the classes,don't quite know the requirements in Ohio.

(thumbs u

The tree huggers probably didn't care about DDT. However, the bunny huggers and frog lickers were probably on target about it.

Yes.

DDT, when used sparingly and efficiently, solves far more problems (specifically in the area of malaria deaths) than it creates.

Oh, sure, we've had two generations screaming about what DDT "does to the environment"....but the fact is, whatever it "does" (and actual science for decades has demonstrated that it "does" very little of the things for which it was banned) it's naturally reversible, and the good it does outweighs the harm.

The people of the 50's and 60's just coated everything with DDT. Everything, everywhere. That was not the correct way to use it, but because people screamed, and the public was misinformed, one of the most valuable resources to halt the spread of a deadly disease was banned.

Yes.

DDT, when used sparingly and efficiently, solves far more problems (specifically in the area of malaria deaths) than it creates.

Oh, sure, we've had two generations screaming about what DDT "does to the environment"....but the fact is, whatever it "does" (and actual science for decades has demonstrated that it "does" very little of the things for which it was banned) it's naturally reversible, and the good it does outweighs the harm.

The people of the 50's and 60's just coated everything with DDT. Everything, everywhere. That was not the correct way to use it, but because people screamed, and the public was misinformed, one of the most valuable resources to halt the spread of a deadly disease was banned.

(worship)

Silverfish do like glue and sizing over paper, but it doesn't really matter, since they will destroy the paper while trying to eat the sizing.

That's totally true.

It's not like they can separate the sizing from the paper...though that'd be a neat trick...

:insane: