• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best reads

51 posts in this topic

Justice League

which then became.......

Justice League International

And then finally.......... :P

Justice League America

From 1-60 are some of the funniest and most entertaining comics ever produced. Annual # 4 is particularly hilarious.

The Guy Gardner-Batman showdown story is still some of my favorite material from that run.

Justice League

which then became.......

Justice League International

And then finally.......... :P

Justice League America

From 1-60 are some of the funniest and most entertaining comics ever produced. Annual # 4 is particularly hilarious.

:whee:

Oh, man. Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League is one of the single best runs of the era.

If you do not shed a tear at issue #40, you have no heart.

John Marc DeMatteis has an understanding of pathos in the field that is absolutely unmatched. From the most hilarious comedy (Giffen's forte) to the most heart wrenching tragedy, he's the best there is at mining emotion from a story.

DO NOT pass this run up. You WILL NOT be disappointed!

Seriously, there is SO MUCH that is just unbelievably good about the 1980's-early 1990's, it truly was the Golden Age of comics from a reader's standpoint.

Indeed it was :cloud9:

Agreed :luhv:

It was a great time to be a reader and hit the LCS on a weekly basis :) And then .. the 90's hit .. :cry:

Seriously, there is SO MUCH that is just unbelievably good about the 1980's-early 1990's, it truly was the Golden Age of comics from a reader's standpoint.

It was a great time to be a reader and hit the LCS on a weekly basis :) And then .. the 90's hit .. :cry:

The 90s wasn't a good decade for comic books from a reader's standpoint :sick:

Sure it was. If:

1) You wanted plenty of artwork-focused books, with little story drive.

2) Plotlines that a 5-year old could predict the end result.

3) Female characters with 40EE chest plates.

4) More covers for the same issue than you ever dreamed of buying (and bought them nonetheless doh! ).

5) No real rare issues, so you could purchase all the copies you wanted.

Great times! :screwy:

Oh, there's a lot of stuff in the 90's that was amazing. Pre-Unity Valiant, Bone, Strangers in Paradise, Poison Elves, Kingdom Come, Astro City....there is a LOT of stuff from the 90's....you just have to look outside Marvel and DC.

Oh, there's a lot of stuff in the 90's that was amazing. Pre-Unity Valiant, Bone, Strangers in Paradise, Poison Elves, Kingdom Come, Astro City....there is a LOT of stuff from the 90's....you just have to look outside Marvel and DC.

I forgot about those titles doh!

daredevil born again and the beta ray bill saga in thor were both amazing and i dont even really like marvel! for dc, any alan moore books obviously and new teen titans 1 to 44. particularly 39 to 44...amazballs

Oh, I was ground floor on Valiant, definitely some good stuff there. (thumbs u Wish I hadn't sold all of it when I quit. After I got out of collecting, a friend bought me Kingdom Come to read .. but I quit the hobby in '92 due to sheer annoyance with the industry as a whole so I really don't know about the rest of the '90s. I'll take your word on it though :)

daredevil born again and the beta ray bill saga in thor were both amazing ...

I have re-read both of those in the past year! The Thors are still excellent, and the ending to Born Again still bugs me :P But both are definitely worth reading!

(thumbs u Ditto on it being a Golden Age of comics. :cloud9:

I remember some Eclipse titles fondly. Mr. Monster was a unique and fun read. And Airboy had Tim Truman art and was pure 80's with mercenaries and South American dictators as the backdrop.

Also, Gaiman's Books of Magic deserves a mention, and I'm not sure why (early 90's Vol.3) Spectre by Ostrander doesn't get more love. It was very well written imho.

Great thread! :)

(thumbs u Ditto on it being a Golden Age of comics. :cloud9:

I remember some Eclipse titles fondly. Mr. Monster was a unique and fun read. And Airboy had Tim Truman art and was pure 80's with mercenaries and South American dictators as the backdrop.

Also, Gaiman's Books of Magic deserves a mention, and I'm not sure why (early 90's Vol.3) Spectre by Ostrander doesn't get more love. It was very well written imho.

Great thread! :)

Gaiman's mini was fantastic and speaking of Ostrander, I loved his Suicide Squad run.

I'll toss one more "best read" on the pile. One of my favorites to this day, and would put it up against any of the 80's top drawer offerings.

A Jim Starlin universe-spanning space epic. (thumbs u Mike Mignola art. (thumbs u Plus events that actually mattered to the evolution of main characters. (thumbs u

And, oh yeah, DC universe. :applause:

(1988?) Cosmic Odyssey . :cloud9:

Oh, I was ground floor on Valiant, definitely some good stuff there. (thumbs u Wish I hadn't sold all of it when I quit.

Valiant stuff back then was very good. I enjoyed X-O Manowar through pretty much the whole run.

I'll toss one more "best read" on the pile. One of my favorites to this day, and would put it up against any of the 80's top drawer offerings.

A Jim Starlin universe-spanning space epic. (thumbs u Mike Mignola art. (thumbs u Plus events that actually mattered to the evolution of main characters. (thumbs u

And, oh yeah, DC universe. :applause:

(1988?) Cosmic Odyssey . :cloud9:

Agreed. Great mini series