• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In loving memory of Krazy Kat.....

22 posts in this topic

He's banned from these boards so why would anyone want to pay homage to him in a thread even if in jest? Why enter into the same lame debates with him?

:troll:

I would hit the notify button to alert the moderators of his latest alias but it looks like someone already did.

He's banned from these boards so why would anyone want to pay homage to him in a thread even if in jest? Why enter into the same lame debates with him?

I would hit the notify button to alert the moderators of his latest alias but it looks like someone already did.

Such a go getter.

For a second I got excited. I thought this thread was actually going to be about the strip Krazy Kat. Silly me to think there would be enough interest to sustain a thread about classic comic strips (besides discussing Schulz prices).

Oh well.

I think it was not only done in jest, it was just a way to point out an interesting article of a historical sale....Even though it wasn't comic art related. There have been countless threads posted in here regarding art, whether it's comic or other types of art....

While this isn't geared towards Nelson personally, the amount of garbage on these boards that gets posted, from my dog barks "Happy Birthday", to someone talking about how Greggy is a dork or how the sky is blue is insane !!

People act like the Comics General is a forum to post like it's their own personal blog.....Even when matters start in one direction, then they go off in the most irrelevant directions...

When are people going to start calling people on those things ?!......

I don't spend too much time in the "General" category because I agree, IMHO there is too much garbage. However, the "Notify" button is available to anyone that is logged on. If anyone thinks there is too much stuff that violates CGC's rules, by all means, notify the moderators and let them decide.

Just to put things in context for comicartfan and others joining the party late, prior to my post, there were several posts deleted by the moderators. It was the same lame stuff so no need to repeat them.

Cheers!

N.

I think it was not only done in jest, it was just a way to point out an interesting article of a historical sale....Even though it wasn't comic art related. There have been countless threads posted in here regarding art, whether it's comic or other types of art....

While this isn't geared towards Nelson personally, the amount of garbage on these boards that gets posted, from my dog barks "Happy Birthday", to someone talking about how Greggy is a dork or how the sky is blue is insane !!

People act like the Comics General is a forum to post like it's their own personal blog.....Even when matters start in one direction, then they go off in the most irrelevant directions...

rantrant There I called you on your blabber. Feel better.

I doubt he does, but I'm sure you do.

touche.jpg

Maxfield Parrish's masterpiece "Daybreak" is coming up for sale again, though is projected to sell at a loss this time around... :eek:

Mel Gibson, Wife Put $15 Million Parrish Works on Auction Block

By Lindsay Pollock

May 7 (Bloomberg) -- Mel Gibson and his wife, Robyn, who filed for divorce last year, are selling a $15 million Maxfield Parrish collection at Christie’s International on May 20 in New York, according to two people familiar with the situation. Christie’s declined to identify the seller.

The works are identified in the auction catalog as “property from a private American collection.”

The priciest painting is expected to be Parrish’s famous neo-classical “Daybreak” (1922), rendered in luminous glazes, including the artist’s signature cobalt blue.

The painting depicts an encounter between a young girl and a reclining toga-clad maiden, framed by columns and a heroic mountain landscape. The work is estimated at a recession- friendly $4 million to $7 million.

Robyn Gibson acquired the painting at Christie’s in New York in May 2006 for $7.6 million, setting a record price for Parrish at auction. The painting previously fetched a record $4.3 million at Sotheby’s in 1996, selling to billionaire James Jannard, founder of the Oakley Inc. sunglasses company.

“’Daybreak’ is an idealized view,” said Judy Goffman Cutler, executive director of the American Illustrators Gallery. “It’s beautiful, calming and romantic.”

The painting was originally created for reproduction as a print and was wildly successful. Reproductions were owned by a quarter of American households, according to Cutler. Parrish dubbed the work his “Magnum Opus,” according to Christie’s.

Robyn Gibson acquired many of her Parrish paintings from Cutler’s gallery, buying since the mid-1990s, according to Christie’s auction catalog.

Whoopi Goldberg

Parrish, who died in 1966, is perhaps best known for his illustrations for magazines such as Hearst’s and Life, as well as his advertisements. After his death, demand grew for his original paintings. Well-known Parrish collectors include comedian Whoopi Goldberg and director George Lucas.

The May auction also includes a 13-foot-long 1910 mural “Sing a Song of Sixpence,” based on the children’s nursery rhyme. The Gibsons acquired the painting in 1995 from the American Illustrators Gallery, and it hung in the dining room of their Greenwich, Connecticut, estate. It’s estimated to sell for as much as $3.5 million.

The mural was originally in Chicago’s Sherman House Hotel. Parrish created 11 murals during his lifetime, according to Christie’s, including “Old King Cole,” which adorns the bar at the St. Regis Hotel in New York.

The sale also includes the 1912 “Sleeping Beauty in the Wood,” originally made as a cover for Hearst’s magazine. The painting features a trio of slumbering nymphs and is estimated to sell for as much as $2.5 million.

To contact the reporter on the story: Lindsay Pollock in New York at lindsaypollock@yahoo.com;

Last Updated: May 7, 2010 00:01 EDT

Mel Gibson Sells Art At A Loss

by Deidre Woollard (RSS feed)

May 21st 2010 at 3:01PM

Mel Gibson may be a fan of Maxfield Parrish's art but it's looking like the art wasn't such a good investment for the actor and his soon-to-be ex-wife Robyn. One of their paintings, Maxfield Parrish's famous 1922 "Daybreak" sold for $5.234 million at Christie's in New York, on the lower end of the $4 million to $7 million presale estimate. Bloomberg News reports that Robyn Gibson paid $7.632 million for the painting at Christie's in 2006 setting an auction record for the work of the American artist.

The field of Maxfield Parrish collectors is far smaller than artists like Picasso or Warhol. Parrish's unabashed sentimentality isn't popular with most people. It's no surprise that Michael Jackson was a fan of Parrish's idealized scenes. In fact the video for "You Are Not Alone" was inspired by Daybreak. Jim Halperin, co-chairman of Dallas-based Heritage Auctions, was one of the bidders on Daybreak but lost out to another bidder. He told Bloomberg that the sale was a great deal, a view confirmed by other experts. The piece is the most coveted and famous of Parrish's works.

Another Gibson Parrish, "Sing A Song of Sixpence," a mural which hung at Old Mill Farm in Greenwich, Connecticut, sold for $2.2 million against an estimate of $2.5-$3.5 million. The Art Newspaper reveals that the Gibson consignment brought $10,991,500 against estimates of $9,789,000-$15,657,000.

Faring far better was Andrew Wyeth's "Off Shore", 1967, which sold for $6,354,500 against estimates of $1.2 million -$4.8 million.

Mel Gibson Sells Art At A Loss

by Deidre Woollard (RSS feed)

May 21st 2010 at 3:01PM

Mel Gibson may be a fan of Maxfield Parrish's art but it's looking like the art wasn't such a good investment for the actor and his soon-to-be ex-wife Robyn. One of their paintings, Maxfield Parrish's famous 1922 "Daybreak" sold for $5.234 million at Christie's in New York, on the lower end of the $4 million to $7 million presale estimate. Bloomberg News reports that Robyn Gibson paid $7.632 million for the painting at Christie's in 2006 setting an auction record for the work of the American artist.

The field of Maxfield Parrish collectors is far smaller than artists like Picasso or Warhol. Parrish's unabashed sentimentality isn't popular with most people. It's no surprise that Michael Jackson was a fine of Parrish's idealized scenes. In fact the video for "You Are Not Alone" was inspired by Daybreak. Jim Halperin, co-chairman of Dallas-based Heritage Auctions, was one of the bidders on Daybreak but lost out to another bidder. He told Bloomberg that the sale was a great deal, a view confirmed by other experts. The piece is the most coveted and famous of Parrish's works.

Another Gibson Parrish, "Sing A Song of Sixpence," a mural which hung at Old Mill Farm in Greenwich, Connecticut, sold for 2.2 million against an estimate of $2.5-$3.5 million. The Art Newspaper reveals that the Gibson consignment brought $10,991,500 against estimates of $9,789,000-$15,657,000.

Faring far better was Andrew Wyeth's Off Shore, 1967, which sold for $6,354,500 against estimates of $1.2 million -$4.8 million.

Gene is KK

:devil: