• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

What do you do?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

84 posts in this topic

This happened to me with a tough FF book in 9.6...won it on a buy-it-now of $750 but it was worth 2x-4x that and both myself and the seller were flooded with requests to buy it after the sale, including from multiple boardies. The seller thought he was doing fine listing it at about 4x Overstreet NM, but he learned that apparently he hadn't! He did go through with the sale. :cloud9:

Was that the #52 ? :cloud9: What's that, a $5k book now in 9.6 ?

Had to be that book.

In the case below, I personally would feel a moral obligation to the little old lady. I may feel entitled to some reward, or I may decide to sell the book and surprise her with a 50% split of the proceeds...or something. But I would not be able to sleep well at night if I bought the book for $1, knowing it was worth vastly more, and reaping all the rewards.

Now, I'm not sure what "vastly more" means, even to myself...

If it's a $100 book, I would not say anything.

A $1000 book? I probably would.

Where do you draw the line? Is it ok to buy an Action #1 from an old lady for $1 without her knowing any better? Is it OK to take advantage of someone's ignorance?

If that old lady priced it at $1, then it was a fair deal. it is not the ethical obligation of *anyone* to educate a seller on what they have. If you want to tell her how much it's worth, great. But you're not ethically obligated to do so.

The only obligation you would have is if the old lady asked you what thought it was worth...then you have an ethical obligation to answer honestly.

(forget what the seller should or should not have known. he obviously did not know the value. The "why" doesn't really matter to me.)

You can say that there is a difference between the 2, but really there are only shades of gray.

No, there's quite a clear line.

A deal is a deal. If you under researched that badly, nobody to blame but yourself.

I can't believe 31% on here chose the other option. Combined with other recent happenings, makes me start to wonder about the caliber of the people here...

At least the newer members.

I'm not sure but I think I might be offended by this. I've been buying/selling comics for 25+ years and I've never taken advantage of anyone on a deal either way. I'm not saying what this guy did was right, especially since he plugged in the BIN amount but... see my previous post in this thread.

On a side note, I've only been on this board since August of 2009 but there seems to be a certain degree of superiority complex displayed by some, but not all, of the members who have been posting here the longest. I for one would appreciate seeing newer members treated with a little more respect than they get by those aforementioned members. Just because you've been a member here for a longer period of time doesn't mean you know more, are more trustworthy, can grade more accurately or are automatically due respect from newer members.

I didn't mean to paint all newer members with a wide brush. The poll is anonymous, so who knows. But, there has been a noticeable wave of posters in the selling forum that haven't been here very long with low post counts. And they generally post nowhere else, or very little. It seems their only purpose here is to sell.

Again, no offence meant to anybody; there are undoubtedly many honest and good people among the newest members. The results of the poll simply stunned me. The question seemed a no brainer....I was expecting the response to reneg to be in the single digits, low single digits at that. 31%...wow.

As far as the amount "left on the table" being related to people's incomes, I just don't buy it. Again, if they are in position to have such a book, and the knowledge/sense to sell it on Ebay, etc. they should know the difference between a $500 book and a $15,000 book. And princible doesn't come to a screaching halt at some dollar amount...

"I didn't mean to paint all newer members with a wide brush. The poll is anonymous, so who knows. But, there has been a noticeable wave of posters in the selling forum that haven't been here very long with low post counts. And they generally post nowhere else, or very little. It seems their only purpose here is to sell."

I can understand your point on this. I don't sell here much or post much for that matter. The main reason I'm on here is to find out about SS opportunities.

"Again, no offence meant to anybody; there are undoubtedly many honest and good people among the newest members. The results of the poll simply stunned me. The question seemed a no brainer....I was expecting the response to reneg to be in the single digits, low single digits at that. 31%...wow."

Not making excuses but times are tough for a lot of people. I personally know several people that are struggling just to get by and as we all know, money makes people do funny things.

"As far as the amount "left on the table" being related to people's incomes, I just don't buy it. Again, if they are in position to have such a book, and the knowledge/sense to sell it on Ebay, etc. they should know the difference between a $500 book and a $15,000 book. And princible doesn't come to a screaching halt at some dollar amount... "

I'm not saying the amount is related to a person's income. Regardless of a person's income that's a large amount to leave behind. I agree that the seller should have more knowledge of what they've got. As far as having possession of a book like that, there are those rare occasions where one can stumble across a nice find. I don't think that was the case here though. He seems to be knowledgeable about comics though and should have known better. The principle of it: I'm not saying that what the seller did was right but I can certainly understand why he did it. For most people $10,000 is a significant amount but in my opinion there's a certain amount of responsibility on the buyer's part in a case like this as well to inquire whether there's an error in the listing. If I was the seller's in this scenario I don't think I'd feel good about the outcome either way.