• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

What do you do?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

84 posts in this topic

So, a situation came up regarding an eBay BIN sale recently. Curious to see what people thought. (I am not the real seller, and have no horse in this race)

Assume you are the seller of a comic, you put it on eBay as a BIN at what you think is market value: $5,000.

The BIN is immediately hit, after which you get multiple emails offering you $15,000 for the book. It's obvious that you have badly under priced the book.

What would you do?

If I had a book to sell that was worth anywhere close to that amount, I'd have to be pretty damned stupid to not do a modicum of research on value.

And if I was that stupid, and did undervalue it and it was bought, I'd have to honour the price I sold it for. Golden Rule scenario, as far as I'm concerned

If I had a book to sell that was worth anywhere close to that amount, I'd have to be pretty damned stupid to not do a modicum of research on value.

And if I was that stupid, and did undervalue it and it was bought, I'd have to honour the price I sold it for. Golden Rule scenario, as far as I'm concerned

What he said.

Anybody who values money over ethics is leading a shallow life.

I hope that I would do "A" even with 10g's staring me in the face.

Ditto. It's tough to put yourself in those shoes as an outsider and say "I'd do the right thing" but I do know that I'd have a tough time sleeping at night with that extra $10K in my pocket.

What he said.

Anybody who values money over ethics is leading a shallow life.

As another boardie mentioned, it was Dr. Frankenstein/Muscleshark that was the buyer. That's a lot of irony right there.

It was a "multiples of guide" kind of comic that rarely comes to market. I think the seller used OSPG as a guide. :screwy:

I'll stick my neck out here, and be the first to say I would not go through with the initial sale. $10k is too much to throw away on an honest mistake. I'd rather put that money toward my kid's college fund, and I'd sleep well at night.

(In actuality, the real seller gave some BS excuse as to why he could not go through with the sale. I would have just been honest about it, if it were me.)

I hope that I would do "A" even with 10g's staring me in the face.

Ditto. I have done it here on the boards before but certainly not to that degree. I have left $400 on the table before because I sent an reply offer via PM and was waiting for a response but in the meantime I received a higher offer. I had to wait and at least let the guy respond to my counter (which he did).

Having said that if I under estimated the value of a book by $10K I would be kicking myself in the nuts.

I'll stick my neck out here, and be the first to say I would not go through with the initial sale. $10k is too much to throw away on an honest mistake. I'd rather put that money toward my kid's college fund, and I'd sleep well at night.

(In actuality, the real seller gave some BS excuse as to why he could not go through with the sale. I would have just been honest about it, if it were me.)

Really? Because I don't see it as a mistake. I see it as a lesson that next time you need to do a little more research. That original sale needs to be honored.

So, a situation came up regarding an eBay BIN sale recently. Curious to see what people thought. (I am not the real seller, and have no horse in this race)

Assume you are the seller of a comic, you put it on eBay as a BIN at what you think is market value: $5,000.

The BIN is immediately hit, after which you get multiple emails offering you $15,000 for the book. It's obvious that you have badly under priced the book.

What would you do?

It would be an agonizing decision but (IMO) I would most likely go through with the sale. I'd put myself in the buyer's shoes, and think how pissed I would be if someone yanked back a book they'd sold me to make more money... then chalk it up to my own stupidity, and move on. I can certainly see the case for the opposite decision though.