• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do, times $1 Million?

What do you do?   

216 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

33 posts in this topic

This is why you should never put a S/H price on something like this. That way, if you F-up, you can always insist on $995K for shipping and handling. When they refuse to pay it and neg you, then so be it. Ebay may suspend your account. Big deal. But the contract was never finalized. Or at least that's the argument you could make.

Or offer "free shipping" but save the $995K handling charge for "just in case."

Or put in really tiny fine print in every auction "buyer reserves the right to cancel this transaction within 24 hours of completion of auction/transaction and refund any monies paid to seller"

Well, that's highly ethical.

The answer is still the same.

Again, amount of money doesn't enter into it.

Hypothetically, this seller is such a big fool, I would have little sypathy anyway.

well, in this situation, YOU are the seller. ;)

The answer is still the same.

Again, amount of money doesn't enter into it.

Hypothetically, this seller is such a big fool, I would have little sypathy anyway.

well, in this situation, YOU are the seller. ;)

Ok, others should have little sympathy.

indeed I agree...why just a million, why not a bazillion? let me say the bigger the HYPOTHETICAL DOLLAR VALUE you want to attach to this pole, the bigger the insufficiently_thoughtful_person the seller will appear to be to ME. That is about the only correlation that can be derive here.

not in whose favor?

The point has already been proven.

For 33% of the people who answered the 2 polls, "losing" $10k on a sale is enough to make them renege on the sale.

For 80% of the people who answered the 2 polls, "losing" $1million on a sale is enough to make them renege on the sale.

Which means only 20% of the people who answered these polls will seemingly honor the initial sale no matter what the $ loss is to them. For the other 80%, they are willing to take a loss to honor the sale, but only until the dollar amount become too high for them to stomache.

What I find additionally interesting is that for all the replies to these threads, only 2 people are willing to publicly admit that they would not honor the sales. Everyone else who voted to renege on the sale has remained silent, apart from their vote.

not in whose favor?

The point has already been proven.

For 33% of the people who answered the 2 polls, "losing" $10k on a sale is enough to make them renege on the sale.

For 80% of the people who answered the 2 polls, "losing" $1million on a sale is enough to make them renege on the sale.

Which means only 20% of the people who answered these polls will seemingly honor the initial sale no matter what the $ loss is to them. For the other 80%, they are willing to take a loss to honor the sale, but only until the dollar amount become too high for them to stomache.

What I find additionally interesting is that for all the replies to these threads, only 2 people are willing to publicly admit that they would not honor the sales. Everyone else who voted to renege on the sale has remained silent, apart from their vote.

Matt, you're the last honest man. :baiting:

I liked Aman619's answer... keep the million, but compensate the buyer some amount by way of apology. Your point is well taken though -- when it comes to a life-changing amount as opposed to a "well, there's always tomorrow..." amount, it's pretty damn hard to say no.

Which means only 20% of the people who answered these polls will seemingly honor the initial sale no matter what the $ loss is to them.

I'll say it again - even hypothetically - the seller is not "losing" anything. Whatever BIN they choose, it MUST be above what they have in the book, therefore they are making a profit . If they are pricing the BIN below what they paid...well, then they are...mentally challenged. Or don't care about money anyway.

Which means only 20% of the people who answered these polls will seemingly honor the initial sale no matter what the $ loss is to them.

I'll say it again - even hypothetically - the seller is not "losing" anything. Whatever BIN they choose, it MUST be above what they have in the book, therefore they are making a profit . If they are pricing the BIN below what they paid...well, then they are...mentally challenged. Or don't care about money anyway.

Yeah, this is the point is continuing to be lost. Thanks for bringing it up again. (thumbs u

No one can "lose" what they never had to begin with.

The reality is, Matt, that someone who knows a comic book is worth "$5,000" will also be aware if it's worth "$1 million", so the hypothetical fails for lack of reasonability.

For someone to reasonably not know the item is worth "$1M", they have to have no real idea of it's worth, or of the worth of collectible comics in general, and would be likely to price such an item at $1, $10, or, at most, $100.

$5,000 shows a level of knowledge that would indicate they knew the difference between "ballpark numbers" and actual major differences in value, unless they've been on a desert island for the last 30 years. $6000+ and $15,000 is not *that* much difference in the grand scheme of things, and within the realm of reason to see happening.

For hypotheticals to be worth discussing, they have to be reasonable in the first place. It may be interesting to ask "what if the moon had a core of solid Gouda", but you won't get much debate on it.