• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do, times $1 Million?

What do you do?   

216 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

33 posts in this topic

a curious follow up to the "what would you do?" thread. Does the amount of money matter? What if it's a life changing sum of money?

Same situation; assume that you have sold a comic via eBay BIN for $5000. Once the BIN is hit, you immediately get a few email offers for the book just sold for $1 million dollars (This is obviously hypothetical). It is obvious you have badly mis-priced the book.

lol.. of coarse not sell it and get the extra 995k...lol... anybody who says otherwise is kidding themselves... in this case the 'ethics' equation is that it is unethical to short your kids and grandkids 995k for a smiley face sticker on your gravestone...

How does this hypothetical person figure out how to use a computer to list an auction if they are this completely stupid to begin with?

I would think keeping their autonomous nervous systems clicking along would be a challenge.

I am all for Reductio Ad Absurdum, but at this point why don't we just say you sold it for 10 cents and were immediately offered a lifetime of services from the Victoria's Secret Angels instead.

lol.. of coarse not sell it and get the extra 995k...lol... anybody who says otherwise is kidding themselves... in this case the 'ethics' equation is that it is unethical to short your kids and grandkids 995k for a smiley face sticker on your gravestone...

lol, do it for the children! At least it wasn't for the yacht.

the whole thing is hypothetical. Pretend you are selling an unopened video game instead of a comic book, if that makes it easier to think about....

Don't be a total tool and put a "BIN" on an item you know nothing about.

There. I've solved the idiotic hypothetical problems that we dream up on this board because we're all too consumed with manufacturing another controversy. doh!

the whole thing is hypothetical. Pretend you are selling an unopened video game instead of a comic book, if that makes it easier to think about....

There. I've solved the idiotic hypothetical problems that we dream up on this board because we're all too consumed with manufacturing another controversy. doh!

Yeah...Donut's here.

Don't set a price if you don't know what price to set. Bingo.

That's an interesting equivocation, bringing up the kids and grandkids, since I'm fairly certain selling a "million dollar book" for $5,000 doesn't stop one from doing what one normally does to support one's family.

If it was found money, it's found money, whether it's $5K or $1M. If it was bought for a lot more, then the hypothetical isn't possible, because no one is that stupid unless they've been impaired.

;)

Yeah...Donut's here.

Don't set a price if you don't know what price to set. Bingo.

(worship)

thi sis an absurd proposition. But my answer would be renege and take the million bucks,. Then tell the original BIBber what I did and pay him a bonus out of my $995K windfall!

that ought to solve thee ethics issues, mollify the original binners anger, and still net me a huge payday!

Refund the buyer and throw in a extra 5,000 for his inconvience, then keep the million dollar books.Buyer gets his money back plus bonus,seller gets to stay rich. Common sense here,I don`t think anyone would honor selling million dollar books for $5,000.

I understand the premise but as the buyer wouldn't you feel some obligation to tell the seller they are a little off on their price or would you laugh all they way to the bank?

it's a moot point because if you did make a million dollar boo boo you DEFINITELY would get sued...though the million dollar mistake is perhaps more defensible in court. and the reality is, the other buyer, the one with the million bucks, would likely not lay out the money given they know there's a party entitled to the book by contract. i'm assuming anyone with a million bucks is sophisiticated in this regard.

This is why you should never put a S/H price on something like this. That way, if you F-up, you can always insist on $995K for shipping and handling. When they refuse to pay it and neg you, then so be it. Ebay may suspend your account. Big deal. But the contract was never finalized. Or at least that's the argument you could make.

Or offer "free shipping" but save the $995K handling charge for "just in case."

Or put in really tiny fine print in every auction "buyer reserves the right to cancel this transaction within 24 hours of completion of auction/transaction and refund any monies paid to seller"