• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will SA DC continue its down trend? And watch Marvels go up?

30 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity, when does everyone feel Silver ends and Bronze begins.

I know what the guide says, but alot of early 15 centers to me are still in the Silver age catagory.

Do you all feel the same?

i think the article in the new cbm was great. It points out the rolling time line. Its not a definite month that redifined history, but a gradual change over a few years until all the old ways were gone & new attitudes prevailed. I really do like the idea of HOM174 as the 1st DC bronze, it not only was the first major shake to the silver status in '68, but the supernatural attitude really took over the look of comics at the start of the bronze age. Of course, i am biased since HOM is my fave. dc title.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Just out of curiosity, when does everyone feel Silver ends and Bronze begins.

A belated welcome to the boards!

Ah, The Great Debate!

This question originally brought me to these forums. There are certain forumites :cough MajorKhaos cough: absolutely sick of the discussion. But for the rest of us, and any newbies with several hours to kill, I say...

the answer to the question When did the Bronze Age begin? can be found

here

or here

or, maybe here.

acclaim.gifcloud9.gif

oh, and i want to point out that i think DC did instigate the change and marvel picked up on it later. Marvel saw the writing on the wall as the dc's began seperating themselves from the past and started to do books like ASM 96-98, 101, Conan 1, Marvel Feature1, Spotlight 2 etc. I think though, it let DC test the waters first though. Look atthe new books marvel put out in '68, IM1, subby1, surfer1, etc, these still feel like silver books, while the DC's were starting not to.

Yeah, I've always thought Marvel & DC were playing leapfrog from 1966-1974 or so. By 1968 DC woke up to the fact that upstart Marvel was eating its lunch! So promoting Carmine Infantino, hiring editor Giordano away from Charlton, bringing in EC great Joe Orlando as another editor, turning Neal Adams loose as cover artist all were attempts by DC to one-up Marvel. That continued in the early 1970s with DC doing Green Lantern/Green Arrow, then Marvel doing Conan, then DC doing Swamp Thing, etc. etc. etc.

But by 1974 it all came crashing down on DC. Too many higher-priced format experiments compared to Marvel. Too many failed 5 or 6 issue odd genre series. By December 1974, Adams was through doing interior work on monthly comics, Wrightson had left Swamp Thing, Kirby's 4th World series was cancelled, Goodwin had gone back to Marvel. Then, despite a few bright spots in the late 1970s (Marshall Rogers, Mike Golden), Marvel pretty much ruled, up until the early-to-mid 1980s when things got to be somewhat competitive again between the Big Two.