• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX Bashers

144 posts in this topic

Any company lives or dies by its reputation. PGX apologists, what few there are, need to understand that PGX doesn't just "make mistakes"...it (Daniel Patterson) has, at the very least, been complicit in fraud.

Why would anyone defend a company that even HINTS of fraud, much less complicity (if not outright commission)...?

A reputation, once tarnished, cannot be repaired. PGX will never be legitimate competition for CGC. The only legitimate competition for CGC will be a totally different company with even higher standards, and not even a hint of controversy.

Any company lives or dies by its reputation. PGX apologists, what few there are, need to understand that PGX doesn't just "make mistakes"...it (Daniel Patterson) has, at the very least, been complicit in fraud.

Why would anyone defend a company that even HINTS of fraud, much less complicity (if not outright commission)...?

A reputation, once tarnished, cannot be repaired. PGX will never be legitimate competition for CGC. The only legitimate competition for CGC will be a totally different company with even higher standards, and not even a hint of controversy.

I stand 100% on the pretty little cases that PGX provides...I am a stubburn old mule...and love the fact that I spend lil money to do so. I don't go to them to re-sale, its for me, and me only..My beat up old editions of unheard of comics, gain or loose nothing by slabbing them with CGC or PGX..I have said my peace.

Now if I owned a lot of really expensive books, I guess, I might think different..I know I stand alone...I don't care for the "legit" arguments... 2c

I stand 100% on the pretty little cases that PGX provides...I am a stubburn old mule...and love the fact that I spend lil money to do so. I don't go to them to re-sale, its for me, and me only..My beat up old editions of unheard of comics, gain or loose nothing by slabbing them with CGC or PGX..I have said my peace.

Now if I owned a lot of really expensive books, I guess, I might think different..I know I stand alone...I don't care for the "legit" arguments... 2c

There's nothing wrong with that. Can't argue with personal preference.

So long as everyone knows the facts going in, no harm, no foul.

It's not people like you who are the problem...it's PGX themselves. Patterson represents himself as something he's not.

That all makes sense, I'm just curious as to why you even like the case. If you agree that the label text is less than worthless since it's not legitimately trustworthy, then how is the case not inferior to something like a Fortress or one of Cole's comic frames where you can swap other comics into the case? I still have never slabbed a single book in my collection that wasn't bought that way, and when I want to display them, I want something that both looks great and is functionally useful...neither the PGX or CGC cases are functionally useful enough for me as compared to this:

UniversalArchival.jpg

Look, all you need to know is this:

PGX is one guy who has a slabbing machine in his garage.

is it his garage or his mothers basement?

I have heard it both ways

I'm going with "does it really matter which is correct?" :whistle:

It's not people like you who are the problem...it's PGX themselves. Patterson represents himself as something he's not.

I am going to disagree with this, and realistically this is directed more at Chespirito than you, RMA.

Chespirito, you are, based upon my observations, a good guy. I enjoy your posts and interact with you a lot in the Signature Room. It appears that there is a lot you don't know about PGX.

The turning point for me was reading up about the Disney books that were purchased, trimmed and then wound up in PGX 9.9 slabs. Do yourself a favor and read up about the business practices of this business. Based upon what i have perceived of your personality on the boards, you would not approve of the types of behaviors. It will be a guaranteed eye-opener. I find it hard to believe that you would still want to support that type of business.

--Sean.

That all makes sense, I'm just curious as to why you even like the case. If you agree that the label text is less than worthless since it's not legitimately trustworthy, then how is the case not inferior to something like a Fortress or one of Cole's comic frames where you can swap other comics into the case? I still have never slabbed a single book in my collection that wasn't bought that way, and when I want to display them, I want something that both looks great and is functionally useful...neither the PGX or CGC cases are functionally useful enough for me as compared to this:

UniversalArchival.jpg

That is not true, the label provides basic information on the book. All I want is Name, year, and Publisher perhaps..and saying that they cannot be properly displayed is just ridiculous,its all on the owner really..

How much are these display cases that you are showing, I don't any of those..

rantrant While we're talking about display of slabbed comics, I must point out how much I hate the PGX label from a graphic design perspective...it looks like a 9-year old designed it in WordPad and hadn't figured out the best uses of serifed type, bold type, and spacing yet. I do love the fact that it puts the date-of-grading on it though. Worst looking label around is PGX, second worst is the old CGC design, current best is the circa-2003 to present CGC label design.

I am going to disagree with this, and realistically this is directed more at Chespirito than you, RMA.

Chespirito, you are, based upon my observations, a good guy. I enjoy your posts and interact with you a lot in the Signature Room. It appears that there is a lot you don't know about PGX.

The turning point for me was reading up about the Disney books that were purchased, trimmed and then wound up in PGX 9.9 slabs. Do yourself a favor and read up about the business practices of this business. Based upon what i have perceived of your personality on the boards, you would not approve of the types of behaviors. It will be a guaranteed eye-opener. I find it hard to believe that you would still want to support that type of business.

--Sean.

Sean,

I don't support fraud at any level but, are really saying that unreliable grading services can be misconstrued as fraudulent practices...I mean, I have yet to meet a person who uses them for re-sale... all PGX books on ebay are pretty much Modern, and are very affordable..IMO

rantrant While we're talking about display of slabbed comics, I must point out how much I hate the PGX label from a graphic design perspective...it looks like a 9-year old designed it in WordPad and hadn't figured out the best uses of serifed type, bold type, and spacing yet. I do love the fact that it puts the date-of-grading on it though. Worst looking label around is PGX, second worst is the old CGC design, current best is the circa-2003 to present CGC label design.
So where do you place the old ACE label at in your categories..

That is not true, the label provides basic information on the book. All I want is Name, year, and Publisher perhaps..and saying that they cannot be properly displayed is just ridiculous,its all on the owner really..

All of that is fine, but it's all sullied by that questionably pesky grade and restoration assessment that's also on there...questionable authentication just makes the whole label DIRTY! :o

Cole's display frames are $25 and have something on the back to hang it on a wall with. I own a few, but I hung them like eight years ago and can't remember what they clasp onto the wall with, a clamp or a wire--I think it's a wire but I could be wrong. :blush:

http://www.bcemylar.com/display_frame.cfm

--Sean.

I was trying to be nice to Chespy, ya big meanie.

lol

In no way was it an attempt to hold PGX blameless. As I and others have pointed out, PGX's deceptions and lies are many.

The point was that if people choose to use PGX, with full knowledge of their fraudulent practices, that's their right. But they have to do it with that knowledge in mind.

All of that is fine, but it's all sullied by that questionably pesky grade and restoration assessment that's also on there...questionable authentication just makes the whole label DIRTY! :o

Cole's display frames are $25 and have something on the back to hang it on a wall with. I own a few, but I hung them like eight years ago and can't remember what they clasp onto the wall with, a clamp or a wire--I think it's a wire but I could be wrong. :blush:

http://www.bcemylar.com/display_frame.cfm

I ma going to buy one to test the "better than" theory...

--Sean.

Sean,

I don't support fraud at any level but, are really saying that unreliable grading services can be misconstrued as fraudulent practices...I mean, I have yet to meet a person who uses them for re-sale... all PGX books on ebay are pretty much Modern, and are very affordable..IMO

That is exactly my point. It is not "unreliable grading services." There is proof of real fraud. And the trimmed Disney books are just the tip of the iceberg. There was also some amazing work done by the Board detectives involving certain Golden/Atomic age books that were "remainder" type books where coverless books were married to a NM cover that was discovered in warehouse-type bulk. These ended up in ultra high grade blue PGX label slabs.

Look, all you need to know is this:

PGX is one guy who has a slabbing machine in his garage.

is it his garage or his mothers basement?

I have heard it both ways

I'm going with "does it really matter which is correct?" :whistle:

on 4-21-10 you posted this in another thread

"Because PGX is a guy in his basement with a slab machine. "

not making trouble, just looking for clarity

a. his garage

b. his basement

c. his mothers basement

:jokealert: