• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL WTF?!???

35 posts in this topic

so i head out to the comic shops today to get my weekly comics, this week from marvel i was getting uncanny #440, new x-men #153 and pulse #1, and, as usual, i couldnt find ONE SINGLE nice copy of these titles! i went to 3 different shops here in Ottawa and went through every single copy each shop had of these books and NOT ONE was deffect free!!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif they either had these weird sorta wrinkly pressure-creases (along the edge of the spine on the cover or along the bottom edge) or indented sides (it looks like someone pressed really hard on the edge of the cover in one spot and the cover in that spot is sort of depressed...most likely a result of the stack of comics being pushed against something during shipping...)

what gives!?! these defects seem more and more common and i find it totally unacceptable! i only notice this trend with MARVEL comics, my dc's and whatever else are always absolutely perfect...

what i'm most curious about is how these pretty minor (BUT ANNOYING!) defects affect a comic's grade...

they're all cherry picked for pre-screening. 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You gotta slip your LCS the tongue and order some extra copies if you want highgrade,....my guy lets me come in Wed morning and go through the Diamond boxes before they go out on the shelves.....

i must be slow because i dont get it

what does this have to do with the problem of damaged books at my comic shop?

who sends the books in for prescreening? marvel? my comic shop?

please explain, try not to use too many big words insane.gif

i must be slow because i dont get it

what does this have to do with the problem of damaged books at my comic shop?

who sends the books in for prescreening? marvel? my comic shop?

please explain, try not to use too many big words insane.gif

If your LCS orders 25 copies of any book about 15-18 of them are going to be crape'...maybe 8.0-9.2.....the other 7 are going to range between 9.4-9.8....it's just the production process you can't help it......if you don't cherry pick them before the get shelved you lose...

so what i should do is go to my fave shop and ask the dude if i can come in early on wednesdays to get first crack at the new comics before the nicest ones disappear? and he wont look at me like i'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person?!?

so what i should do is go to my fave shop and ask the dude if i can come in early on wednesdays to get first crack at the new comics before the nicest ones disappear? and he wont look at me like i'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person?!?

Only if he wants to lose a customer...

BTW, has anyone had any success with mail ordering this stuff like mailordercomics.com? I had great success the first year when I was collecting BOTP, but my USMs were more of a hit or miss...must be the nature of production for the Ultimate titles...

buy from lighthouse comics a fellow forumite, he'll take care of you. acclaim.gif

buy from lighthouse comics a fellow forumite, he'll take care of you. acclaim.gif

Lighthouse is Hush...... gossip.gif

Yeah, Lighthouse doesn't descriminate - he thinks we are all insufficiently_thoughtful_persons... insane.gif