• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting comics doesn't make me feel QUITE as deviant anymore

37 posts in this topic

FINALLY, a group of collectors besides the coinees and philatecs out there that I can safely make fun of! :cloud9:

http://www.antiquebarbedwiresociety.com/

What the heck gets someone into collecting this? Seems like it'd go great with a ball-and-gag and torture device collection... hm:insane:

I heard about this a long time ago (I think it was mentioned back on an episode of the CBS sunday morning news show with Charles Kuralt). It was actually pretty interesting stuff. They followed on of the collectors around as he looked for strands of old fence that hadn't been taken down or even very old fence that was embedded inside trees. It would fall under the larger category of western Americana collecting.

I heard about this a long time ago (I think it was mentioned back on an episode of the CBS sunday morning news show with Charles Kuralt). It was actually pretty interesting stuff. They followed on of the collectors around as he looked for strands of old fence that hadn't been taken down or even very old fence that was embedded inside trees. It would fall under the larger category of western Americana collecting.

Right.

The different braiding patterns of the wire told early pioneer travelers who's property they were about to cross into.

Barbed wire was used as a designation the same as a brand on livestock.

So what is it that makes barbed wire appealling enough to shell out thousands of bucks for? Is it something about the aesthetics of the piece itself, or is it entirely the history behind different types of barbed wire? Barbed wire itself seems to have no aesthetic value to me other than historic, but do collectors of this stuff disagree and find it really attractive? (shrug)

So what is it that makes barbed wire appealling enough to shell out thousands of bucks for? Is it something about the aesthetics of the piece itself, or is it entirely the history behind different types of barbed wire? Barbed wire itself seems to have no aesthetic value to me other than historic, but do collectors of this stuff disagree and find it really attractive? (shrug)

I know a lot of Civil War buffs that will pay big money for stuff like that but shake thier heads when I told them that people payed $12,000 for a New Mutants 98 cgc 9.9. Some people value thier hobby more than ours and we have to look at it from thier perspective.

we have to look at it from thier perspective.

Oh yea, definitely--I'm trying to figure out their perspective. I know there is one, I just don't know what it is yet. (shrug)

we have to look at it from thier perspective.

Oh yea, definitely--I'm trying to figure out their perspective. I know there is one, I just don't know what it is yet. (shrug)

I can definitely see a WWI buff all over this sort of thing as well as

Western Americana collectors.

I can definitely see a WWI buff all over this sort of thing as well as

Western Americana collectors.

Guns I get. I could see military uniforms. Furniture, sure. But barbed wire? Not as easy to relate to, seems quite :screwy: upon first blush.

Which, by the way, is the exact same way I felt about people obsessing over comics being in perfect mint condition circa 1985, yet NOW look at me! :insane:

Guns I get. I could see military uniforms. Furniture, sure. But barbed wire? Not

How bout mixing antique barbed wire with furniture???

A mirror downstairs in my abode.

IMG_0746.JPG

There's even a museum dedicated soley to the history of barbed wire. In Texas I think...

If you told me there was a museum in Texas dedicated to guys who scream "YEEEEEE-HAAAAW" in the back up their pickup trucks while waving the Confederate flag and spitting chew, I'd believe that, too. :insane:

FINALLY, a group of collectors besides the coinees and philatecs out there that I can safely make fun of! :cloud9:

http://www.antiquebarbedwiresociety.com/

What the heck gets someone into collecting this? Seems like it'd go great with a ball-and-gag and torture device collection... hm:insane:

:o ......perhaps you could sign up for their chat room....could prove interesting. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u