• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cursed Pirate Girl

1,870 posts in this topic

I very much agree with Jeff and Nick... to a certain point.

WHAT??!! How dare you!

:baiting:

I've said it once and I've said it before, Jeremy's work is VERY different than what is being mass produced by Marvel and DC. It's a different realm that you can be taken to in order to get away from the usual.

Julio, I agree to a certain extent ( :baiting: ), but here is where the point may be missed.

Many of the massive demand trends came from books that went outside the norm (trying to break the historic BASH BOOM POW mentality with lame villains and heroes). I'd recommend not to get confused because someone has Marvel or DC in their background they didn't go outside the normal creative trends. When certain creators made a jump to be independent from the top two, and were effective at their craft, the market took notice. But unfortunately, in some cases, the prices would skyrocket so fast, the majority of collectors would be challenged to afford these books.

But hey, it is a free market, and thank goodness for it. The early fad can help a company/book be established much quicker than it would have experienced otherwise.

We'll see where the future of CPG sails to over time. I just hope for the best.

I'm sure there are alot of people that are both. I have my core set of one of everything In high grade that I won't sell, but also have others I will. I love the art and story and tell people all the time about it. I asked lots of dealers At the Philly con if they had any cpg and their response was always"I wish". Word is spreading!

Edited by chainnball

I very much agree with Jeff and Nick... to a certain point.

WHAT??!! How dare you!

I've said it once and I've said it before, Jeremy's work is VERY different than what is being mass produced by Marvel and DC. It's a different realm that you can be taken to in order to get away from the usual.

Julio, I agree to a certain extent ( :baiting: ), but here is where the point may be missed.

Many of the massive demand trends came from books that went outside the norm (trying to break the historic BASH BOOM POW mentality with lame villains and heroes). I'd recommend not to get confused because someone has Marvel or DC in their background they didn't go outside the normal creative trends. When certain creators made a jump to be independent from the top two, and were effective at their craft, the market took notice. But unfortunately, in some cases, the prices would skyrocket so fast, the majority of collectors would be challenged to afford these books.

But hey, it is a free market, and thank goodness for it. The early fad can help a company/book be established much quicker than it would have experienced otherwise.

We'll see where the future of CPG sails to over time. I just hope for the best.

lol...I dared. :grin:

You're right, my friend, on peeps trying to go indie. Another factor to consider, though, is that there are multiple prints of these books. They are not unaffordable. It's funny when I hear someone want to read the book, BUT they also want a 1st print of it (#1). lol Though the high sales prices of some CPG stuff can get old fast, it may just help peeps increase their curiosity and buy newer prints. The whole point is for people to enjoy it. When that is taken away from potential readers and "the cause" by ridiculous pricing, then it can hurt the book. But again, the actual story is available...or will be more available soon. :grin:

So I am just trying to make sure I understand this from the detractors (which I am not sure who is who anymore lol):

If you sell this book you are taking advantage of buyers.

If you push this book or sell this book you are hyping it.

If you dont buy this book, it is because of dealer prices.

There are multiple printings of the first issue.

Oh, I wasn't talking about CPG, I was talking Walking Dead in the above. Because every book that becomes hot, has to start hot and keep pushing forward. Some books take off right away, some blow up quickly.

I don't think anyone that has gotten interested in the series has shyed away from it and many have become bigger fans and looked for all types of issues.

I think one thing to be very careful of is to act as if sellers of the book (which I am) are taking advantage of everyone. There appear to be many sellers of this book. Just as there are many sellers of Chew, Walking Dead and other series that people enjoy.

Julio, I love ya, but please for one second do not believe that Jeremy or anyone else involved with CPG is not happy to see books selling and people trying to get everything they can CPG. It takes nothing away from the work he is doing. He has collectors of his work that read it and throw it in a box, he has collectors that want to invest, and he has people buying books and reselling them, but the bottom line is he is getting the price he is asking for when he sells. He might not understand the process, but from someone who has been at this longer then most (me) it will be benefit him long term. He is an amazing talent and word is spreading!

You have sold or attempted to sell CPG books also, does it make you less of a CPG fan? Absolutely not. Chainnball has done the same thing, he talks about CPG all the time and pays high dollar for many books on ebay. Good for him and good for Jeremy. To have loyal readers and loyal followers of your work is something that will pay dividends in the future, just as it has for Kirkman.

I think a lot of people need to step back and realize that each and every book that is 'hot' is 'hot' for a lot of different reasons and that everyone has a reason why they want to buy something or not buy something. I would hate to think what would happen if someone went into the Walking Dead thread and created a ruckus like this about a book. They would be shunned and casted away lol (and Walking Dead is one of my favorite books and one I support heavily and also one that is heavily supported on these boards, thus my reasoning for using it)

Sometimes it just reeks of not getting in on the next hot thing soon enough and seems resentful, I hope that isnt the case.

Regardless, each and everyone in this thread has a deep love for modern comics and should understand that to each their own.

Off to baseball practice...

Sometimes it just reeks of not getting in on the next hot thing soon enough and seems resentful, I hope that isnt the case.

Oh please. Don't even wrap your mind around that one as the motivation. I rarely buy Moderns because it is not my focus. But I am very impressed with the crop of books that have come out of this interesting period (Walking Dead, Goon, Stuff of Legend, Locke & Key, etc.).

But if it makes you feel better, have at it.

And I do laugh when I read guys like Vince talk about the Modern Age does nothing but copy books from the Bronze Age or earlier.

I wish half of the comics that came out of the 80s had the story power some of these recent books have. But I still love my Copper Age books above all else.

CPG just seems to have a special something about it, I'd love to see it have continued success.

Thank goodness we have fanatical fans like Julio out there.

Julio, I love ya, but please for one second do not believe that Jeremy or anyone else involved with CPG is not happy to see books selling and people trying to get everything they can CPG. It takes nothing away from the work he is doing.

Actually, JJ, you misunderstood me. I am sure that every artist/writer is happy when their stuff sells, but you missed the whole part about the way it's selling, or trying to be sold. I was telling the thread about what we discussed face to face, not by rumor or assumption. The prices for CPG stuff that are jacked up to where people can't enjoy them is what he did not agree with, hence, my statement about his wanting to make prints available on his website for what he actually charges for them. He wants stuff to be "accessible".

You have sold or attempted to sell CPG books also, does it make you less of a CPG fan?

Actually, you're correct in that, brother. I have sold CPG stuff on the boards before. Everyone knows that, of coarse. But do you see the prices I sell them at? Do you see who I have sold them to? That says a lot, brother. I'm not raking in the cash on my sales. Now on the high end and rare stuff, as I stated previously, if people want those then yes, they will be paying top dollar for those just as with any other rare, hot book. Common sense, no? But I make it as reasonable as I can depending on the situation and how I feel that day. lol I think people that buy form me know that. Yet, I'm not going to be selling something really rare to someone for cheap who's only going to flip it for profit. Doesn't make sense to me. People that I have sold CPG to know up front when I ask them, "Is it for your personal collection?" or "all I ask is that you post your thoughts, good or bad on the CPG thread after reading it". That's my preference when selling CPG stuff at cheap prices.

In addition, if you go back on the threads, you will see that some of the high end stuff is sold to make other things available for potential fans. #1 4th prints, prints down to $5, etc. Like I said, brother, I'm not raking in the cash. I'm actually placing an effort at furthering this story and trying to make sure that it continues.

So you know I wrote in blue to hurt your eyes, right? :insane:

Anyway, as I stated before, the only thing that matters IMHO, is the story and it's exciting for me to see where it will go...story-wise.

Edited by FIREFLY

Julio, I love ya, but please for one second do not believe that Jeremy or anyone else involved with CPG is not happy to see books selling and people trying to get everything they can CPG. It takes nothing away from the work he is doing.

Actually, JJ, you misunderstood me. I am sure that every artist/writer is happy when their stuff sells, but you missed the whole part about the way it's selling, or trying to be sold. I was telling the thread about what we discussed face to face, not by rumor or assumption. The prices for CPG stuff that are jacked up to where people can't enjoy them is what he did not agree with, hence, my statement about his wanting to make prints available on his website for what he actually charges for them. He wants stuff to be "accessible".

You have sold or attempted to sell CPG books also, does it make you less of a CPG fan?

Actually, you're correct in that, brother. I have sold CPG stuff on the boards before. Everyone knows that, of coarse. But do you see the prices I sell them at? Do you see who I have sold them to? That says a lot, brother. I'm not raking in the cash on my sales. Now on the high end and rare stuff, as I stated previously, if people want those then yes, they will be paying top dollar for those just as with any other rare, hot book. Common sense, no? But I make it as reasonable as I can depending on the situation and how I feel that day. lol I think people that buy form me know that. Yet, I'm not going to be selling something really rare to someone for cheap who's only going to flip it for profit. Doesn't make sense to me. People that I have sold CPG to know up front when I ask them, "Is it for your personal collection?" or "all I ask is that you post your thoughts, good or bad on the CPG thread after reading it". That's my preference when selling CPG stuff at cheap prices.

In addition, if you go back on the threads, you will see that some of the high end stuff is sold to make other things available for potential fans. #1 4th prints, prints down to $5, etc. Like I said, brother, I'm not raking in the cash. I'm actually placing an effort at furthering this story and trying to make sure that it continues.

Anyway, as I stated before, the only thing that matters IMHO, is the story and it's exciting for me to see where it will go...story-wise.

The entire story is available for cover price or less, so it's very accessible. Please no holier than tho that you only sell to further the story.

The entire story is available for cover price or less, so it's very accessible. Please no holier than thou that you only sell to further the story.

Fixed that for ya.

Edited by FIREFLY

The entire story is available for cover price or less, so it's very accessible. Please no holier than thou that you only sell to further the story.

Fixed that for you.

got it.

Fixed that for you.

got it.

lol

Fixed that for you.

got it.

lol

And I do laugh when I read guys like Vince talk about the Modern Age does nothing but copy books from the Bronze Age or earlier.

I wish half of the comics that came out of the 80s had the story power some of these recent books have. But I still love my Copper Age books above all else.

CPG just seems to have a special something about it, I'd love to see it have continued success.

and this we shall agree on until the end of time!

Oh please. Don't even wrap your mind around that one as the motivation. I rarely buy Moderns because it is not my focus. But I am very impressed with the crop of books that have come out of this interesting period (Walking Dead, Goon, Stuff of Legend, Locke & Key, etc.).

But if it makes you feel better, have at it.

happens all the time, why should this be any different, and as I stated, I can't tell who is who anymore with detractors and motivators for this title lol

Julio,

I applaud you for selling books to board members at reduced rates. Many books can be had for less than cover ahead of time(DCBS or the new distribution company that is taking over small press for Diamond), and by offering this you are good in my book.

But lets all be honest at least and say that when we sell a book for more than cover we are looking for a return on our investment.

Whatever the motivation is for selling, bottom line, if you sell for more than cover at any time and pocket the profit, you have in fact put yourself on the side of capitalist. No other way around it.

Selling a CPG for $XXX or selling a CPG for $X, either way, there is money being made on one and breaking even on the other. I call that a smart seller.

A person can make money and also be a good person. This is evident on these boards daily.

Selling a CPG for $XXX or selling a CPG for $X, either way, there is money being made on one and breaking even on the other. I call that a smart seller.

A person can make money and also be a good person. This is evident on these boards daily.

I think my point was missed, JJ. This is going into another tangent that I made no reference to. Made no mention of making money and being a bad person or selling above cover price is still for profit.

Bottom line...books are accessible and this is an amazing story. Right?