• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cursed Pirate Girl

1,870 posts in this topic

Didn't attend, but I'm sure it was the same as the previous con. Prints, #2s and #3s. Wonder if he had the Artist Proof plates for sale. Those are sweet collectibles if anyone has the chance to snag them.

I hate to think this, but with the flood of high-grade CPG books at high prices realized quite rapidly, do we run the risk of this series ending up being untouchable for new collectors and turning folks off from the series?

Anyone that has lived through the books/companies that took off this fast, the warning signs are all over the series. Someone even made a joke about it in the "Keep The Other Threads Clean" section that if you weren't selling CPG books in your sales thread, there must be something wrong.

I've only read one book and was very impressed with the art and story. But I was also around during the times of Venom's early appearances being a new currency they were so hot, Liefeld's excitement phase ( :sick: ), Valiant Comics and folks trading Gold and Silver Age books for early issues, and a stream of other fads.

It's not like the first issue isn't coming up in the high grades enough. I guess I'm just concerned some great illustrated storytelling is going to take a major hit if the market is not careful with its supply and demand handling.

100040.jpg.5404b4076deb2d3b0d2831196ab3c846.jpg

It's not like the first issue isn't coming up in the high grades enough. I guess I'm just concerned some great illustrated storytelling is going to take a major hit if the market is not careful with its supply and demand handling.
As convention season is upon us, it's probably way too late.

I hate to think this, but with the flood of high-grade CPG books at high prices realized quite rapidly, do we run the risk of this series ending up being untouchable for new collectors and turning folks off from the series?

Anyone that has lived through the books/companies that took off this fast, the warning signs are all over the series. Someone even made a joke about it in the "Keep The Other Threads Clean" section that if you weren't selling CPG books in your sales thread, there must be something wrong.

I've only read one book and was very impressed with the art and story. But I was also around during the times of Venom's early appearances being a new currency they were so hot, Liefeld's excitement phase ( :sick: ), Valiant Comics and folks trading Gold and Silver Age books for early issues, and a stream of other fads.

I honestly don't think this is going to be an issue considering that Bastian is ensuring that his books are remaining in print ... there's a 4th print of #1 coming out at SDCC, and both 2nd prints of #2 & 1st prints of #3 are still available at very reasonable prices. Not to mention the collected edition that will also be out later this year.

All of this should be more than enough to give whomever wants to read his series (and get hooked on it) a chance to do so without any real difficulty.

Whether the collectible market (eg. the nose-bleed prices that 1st printings have been commanding recently) stays solid remains to be seen - but considering that a lot of the people who've bought CPG books recently didn't know about this series until just a couple of months ago, and this was not a series that was hoarded & slabbed straight from the get-go, I'm relatively confident that the series won't crash.

There's a glut of CPG books on ebay at the moment, sure - but that's because they're selling for high prices and a lot of casual collectors are trying to offload books for which they paid $5 or less. But that supply isn't infinite - this is an indie series with a (relatively) low print run we're talking about after all ...

Welcome to the Boards, SpaFon. Are you another Michigander?

Yep, Lansing here. I actually joined awhile ago, but came back while trying to find some Cursed Pirate Girl info. Sorry, no word on what he had for sale last weekend. The banner in the background is showing off the collected graphic novel due in the Fall though!

I was concerned about this as well initially but the more I track it the less I worry about it. Other than a couple 9.9 high priced sales the vast majority is "reasonable" (being a relative term). 9.8 Universal 1st prints appear to be in the range of Chew #1 or less as seen close to this time last year. GPA has 6 sales @ $50? which isn't high at all. My "concern" which is more entertainment than anything else now is the attempt at the high prices. I hear alot of claims of high priced sales but very little realized and published high priced sales.

The boards already seem flooded to me.

But isn't it fun to ride the roller coaster?

I've yet to meet a comic store owner that even knows the title exists so I guess time will tell. With any hope the art will eventually speak for itself once the fabricated hype clears. :wishluck:

I honestly don't think this is going to be an issue considering that Bastian is ensuring that his books are remaining in print ... there's a 4th print of #1 coming out at SDCC, and both 2nd prints of #2 & 1st prints of #3 are still available at very reasonable prices. Not to mention the collected edition that will also be out later this year.

All of this should be more than enough to give whomever wants to read his series (and get hooked on it) a chance to do so without any real difficulty.

Whether the collectible market (eg. the nose-bleed prices that 1st printings have been commanding recently) stays solid remains to be seen - but considering that a lot of the people who've bought CPG books recently didn't know about this series until just a couple of months ago, and this was not a series that was hoarded & slabbed straight from the get-go, I'm relatively confident that the series won't crash.

There's a glut of CPG books on ebay at the moment, sure - but that's because they're selling for high prices and a lot of casual collectors are trying to offload books for which they paid $5 or less. But that supply isn't infinite - this is an indie series with a (relatively) low print run we're talking about after all ...

I couldn't have said it any better.

As time passes, I think the first prints will have a decent chance of maintaining some degree of value as long as Bastian keeps doing what he's doing. Do I predict the success of a TMNT franchise, with a Saturday cartoon, action figures, etc., probably not. So I would expect prices to come down some, once the hysteria subsides.

But, it's the future of the comic that Bastian is worried about, so hopefully he can get this book to the masses with the collected volume... and avoid underestimating demand and short printing that. I think that his publisher is aware in the demand spike and working on some ideas. (shrug)

You're rolling the dice, paying some of the prices that I've seen realized on eBay for the original first issue. If Julio has deep pockets, he could keep those closing prices pretty high though. lol

I've had some time to read and think about this continuing issue regarding the demand of CPG, the limited access for them, the speculation, etc. I very much agree with Jeff and Nick... to a certain point. I've said it once and I've said it before, Jeremy's work is VERY different than what is being mass produced by Marvel and DC. It's a different realm that you can be taken to in order to get away from the usual. Jeremy has a distinct style of telling a story mostly with artwork, whereas the norm is to tell the story through words and the artwork is just there in the background. Big difference.

If you ever have the opportunity to see Jeremy work, please take advantage of it. He is very precise, focused and detailed. He takes a lot of time to create what he does. He even takes awhile to do his signatures. lol I rarely see that at events that I've been to. Sometimes one may ask for a tiny sketch and you can get snubbed and pointed to their sale sign. Ask for sig on a particular area and get a smirk in return. Jeremy is very down to earth and is the kind of guy that will go beyond what you ask. Personality, my friends. Though his work is very under-appreciated, his person alone will make CPG go along way because when you really think about it, anykind of art or story you invest in, takes into consideration the artist/writer as a person...or at least that's my criteria. If they treat me wrong, I don't care what they draw or write, I could carp on it and kick dirt afterward based on their personality. I've done that to a couple face to face...they're not gods.

Jeff and Nick, I know that you are not attacking the story. Even though you guys have not read the whole story, I admire the fact that you still respect the work and the artist, which is pretty cool. ;) It does irk me a little as well about the marketing you mentioned that goes on behind CPG. Jeremy and I had some interesting discussions regarding the stuff on feebay and he wasn't at all impressed with how his stuff is being marketed. He's trying his best to have his stuff available more directly through his website or his publishing company.

For peeps that are serious about appreciating his work, there should be an effort placed in making his stuff more accessible and to make sure that CPG has a future. BUT there will always be people who want to make money off of stuff, right? No matter what hot book there is out there, there will always be marketing, sales, speculation, and so on. People that are not interested in the book or artist and are just interested in fattening their pockets from it will always be around, right? The actual question that REALLY matters, ironically, is...does it really matter?

No, it doesn't. It may matter for investors who just want to make money off hot books and move on to the next thing before their invested stock is worthless. But it doesn't matter for true readers. It doesn't matter for people that are genuinely interested in the book or its art, in this case, Jeremy Bastian and CPG. CPG will always have a following and it will continue on regardless. Why? Because as long as there are people genuinely interested in it, they will continue to recommend CPG to others and will continue to grow by word of mouth. And it's these same people that will continue to treasure these books and keep CPG alive.

I've had several boardies help me through sales, through support, through other means, in keeping CPG accessible to everyone as you may have read in my previous thread posts. This gives others the opportunity to read the freakin' book and not pass judgment on it just because of what's going on with CPG sales recently. I am telling everyone that has even an inkling of interest, READ it. Then you can pass judgment. If you think it sucks, then post why? If you think it's awesome, then post why. Either way, it moves on with or without you. At least it was given a shot...just like every other book, right? All you gotta do is put aside the drama on these boards and feebay and enjoy it for what it is...a stepping aside of the norm.

Social construction, my friends. We create reality by communication. So as long as Jeremy stays true to his work and fans continue to spread the word (since it is an indie book and not many LCSs know of it), who cares what feebay and the boards show. Access IS there. Olympian Publishing still has #2s and #3s available to the public. Doug (DDS) and I still have a list of #1 4th prints that will be forwarded to genuinely interested boardies at below cover price. #1 3rd prints are also still available here and there. Availability is there, fellas.

Now, if you want to be picky and want 1st prints of #1 and #2, no logos, Self-Published #1s, etc. then Yes, expect to pay top dollar for them on the boards or feebay. Like every other book that's rare, low print, almost impossible to find, and hot...you're choosing to contribute to the craze. There are several boardies that sell high grade stuff that you can take advantage of. Haven't posted any CPGs on feebay myself in quite awhile, but I will be posting some rarities sometime in the near future. I can keep interested people updated on those if you'd like.

Anyway, that's my "50 cent", homies. Thank you all who have hit me up for CPG stuff out of genuine curiosity. It's my pleasure to continue to make it accessible to you all. I love hearing the comments when you guys finish the books. Wish you guys would post more on the books and not necessarily the sales part of it. Could care less on the sales since it doesn't really affect the true integrity of Jeremy's work. Kathryn opened up this thread in the beginning and I think it had a purpose to it. Just wish it can go back to that purpose as more and more people read and enjoy it. ;)

Edited by FIREFLY

It only took two pages for folks to start in on the "CPG is overhyped" angle. It has been a part of this thread from the very beginning. And as well it should be. Nothing in recent memory has been like CPG, Mouse Guard is the closest that I can think of, and it was nowhere near where CPG was in the April-May time frame, for better or for worse.

It is a special book. It is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. There is a somewhat incestuous vibe on the Boards because all of the major players are here. Plus at least half (probably a much higher percentage) of the high grade 1s have been slabbed by boardies. I love the book and I loved the hype for sales of #1s. CPG is a fairly strange duck for these fairly strange times we live in.

that was one great post..I haven't read something that long and was interested the whole time prob in like 5 years. Your passion for CPG is making me even more excited to read this story and see the art. (thumbs u Julio has helped me get some affordable copies so I can enjoy the story without paying an arm and a leg. they are on the way to me as I type and I can't wait to enter the world of CPG :banana:

thanks for all the help Julio (worship)