• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHANTOM LADY #17 SOLD! THREAD CLOSED

22 posts in this topic

A PL 17 for under $900?? Really? This 1.8 raw copy has detached cover. CR/OW supple paper. PayPal or mail a check. Despite low grade and mega-taped spine the book presents decent. $895 $849 $749 $699 shipped.

may2010031.jpg

pl1718bc.jpg

pl17int.jpg

Contact Buster44 on Ebay, he's the POP expert...but I think most of the pop ones with the brown tape were trimmed and had smaller tape on the spine.

Hi Sharon! :hi: I agree with your take on the tape being thinner on the POP books. Now, will someone please buy this baby so I can post something else?!?! :baiting:

Contact Buster44 on Ebay, he's the POP expert...but I think most of the pop ones with the brown tape were trimmed and had smaller tape on the spine.

Hi Sharon! :hi: I agree with your take on the tape being thinner on the POP books. Now, will someone please buy this baby so I can post something else?!?! :baiting:

I've looked at this and my initial guess was that it was a Type 2 Pop book as it falls within the late 1940s-early 1960s and it has the same brown paper tape used to reinforce the book. The Type 2 Pop books also have an inventory # listed on the top of the brown tape as well--but I'm not sure if the date can be equated to an inventory #. Upon closer look of the picks Phil provided, it also doesn't appear as though this book was restapled--a hallmark of all Pop's books. However, if this book had the spine roll removed, the width of the tape is about on par with the width of the tape Pop used (looks wider on the FC but again, factor out the spine roll and you're probably close). Pop also trimmed his books and I have a tough time telling about this unless it's either painfully obvious or it's in hand--Phil, does it appear so from your end? If so, I'd say there's probably at least a good chance then this could be a Pop Hollinger book.

So yeah, a definitive headlight cover and the possibility of having some provence attached to the book seems pretty like a pretty appealing combo! :headbang:

Mac Man thanks for the awesome info! The book doesn't look trimmed to me. And it hasn't been restapled. How about yet another price drop to $749??? I can't believe it hasn't sold! :P

Hey Phil, good to know about the stapling and the trimming. One of the things I heard from someone was that if there is... no tape on inside edges of the cover... then it probably isn't a Pop comic. Essentially, 95% of 1940s-1950s Pop comics had inside edges of covers taped so combined with the lack of restapling, the width of the tape on the outside, and no trimming, this is most likely isn't one.

On an unrelated note, I think it's kinda ironic with the splash page how the PL is essentially high beaming the crooks! Not bad for a headlights cover! lol

cover is detached. Not sure about tape removal possibility. I'm sure Matt would know. If I can't move it by midnite I'm putting it back into the "vault".

(Potentially lame) PM sent.