• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,511 posts in this topic

I thought this was kind a cool. You don't see these very often, and when you do the colors tend to be orange instead of the rich red it should be.

TalesofSuspense1_zpsee6a2ad4.jpg

Nice! Great book and pretty hard to find IMO! My copy is at CGC right now. :wishluck: Your copy presents great!

on the want list, not to self.

:golfclap: ...... I have read those stories over, and over, and over, and over....... and they just DON'T get stale. I sorely miss my 34..... one that got away. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:golfclap: ...... I have read those stories over, and over, and over, and over....... and they just DON'T get stale. I sorely miss my 34..... one that got away. GOD BLESS...

I have a great looking 35, a 36 I wouldn't mind upgrading and a 34 that I must upgrade eventually. You are right, they are great books!

bb44.jpg

Back in 1983, I bought my second Overstreet as a teenager (the first was the Spirit Cover edition from 1976 that my dad bought more or less as a cool novelty of my family's attendance of the San Diego Comic-Con during the El Cortez days--a tradition I owe to having extraordinarily cool parents. They weren't collectors themselves, but recognized that my brother, sister, and I would LOVE going to something like that as little kids.) Anyway, I recall looking through that 1983 edition (the Mingo Alfred E. Newman cover) and constantly returning to Daredevil because the Miller run was what I was seriously collecting at the time. It took me about 3 years to come up with the allowance to finally complete every issue in the Miller run.

But the other addictive thing about the OPG was that it had that cover gallery as well as the multiple ads by the likes of Bruce Hamilton, Russ Cochrane, Forbidden Planet, Thousand Year Picnic, Redbeard's Bookden, Koch-Dolgoff-Koch and tons of other people from the ranks of the first generations of serious comics dealers.

These advertisements were less concerned with touting what they were selling. They were more interested in advertising their wantlists--often with cool pictures of Action 1, 'Tec 27, Captain America 1, AF 15, and so on accompanying the ads. This was all pre-photoshop, pre-Gerber guide, WAYYY pre-internet. OPG was the only place a 13-year old kid could see incredible key issues except for the little oasis of Comic-Con (and only then, these issues were viewable only on the display racks behind the bins that I was looking through).

I dreamed of owning things like those early key issues, reading about their first appearances, and noting that I couldn't even come up with the $$ to pay for something like one of those keys in 20 years of mowing lawns, washing cars, window-cleaning, plant-watering, etc. I started to pour through the OPG and make mental notes about these dream key books. Brave and the Bold came up at random intervals because I was familiar with the B&B 28 from some of the want-ads in the advertisement section. So my curiosity over what that book was and why people coveted it would inevitably draw me to the "B" section of Overstreet. And when I zoomed in on B&B, there was B&B 34-26 and 42-44 broken out a bit more than the other comics. I recall thinking that it seemed strange that the guide would give special mention to Kubert as being the artist of those issues. I never saw pictures of the Hawkman issues, but I could only picture his Tarzan and Sgt. Rock work because that was the Kubert stuff I was familiar with at my local 7-11 or five-and-dime store comics racks. I didn't associate Kubert with superhero stuff at all, so it just seemed weird that OPG would do that.

About 3 years later, I started actively collecting anything I could get my hands on that was 12¢ or earlier. Those B&Bs were some of the first things I went after out of sheer curiosity over what they looked like. They were tough, tough, tough to get in grade, but I lucked out with a decent VF copy of B&B 44 when I was about 17 years old from a local dealer who traded it across for a Tales of Suspense 60 that I had. I remember looking at that B&B 44 and thinking that it was a thousand times cooler than my brain could conjure for not having seen it in the OPG or in the bins at any stores or Comic-Cons. It looked painted, too. It dawned upon me why Kubert was broken out, too. What a stunner!

I have sold so many superhero issues from my collection over the years in order to fund my war comics run, but could never bring myself to sell those B&B Hawkmans. Too cool for words. I have always maintained that the #44 is exemplary simply because of the pure rage that no other artist could quite capture in that late-10¢ / early 12¢ era. Juxtapose that against the Anderson issues from the Hawkman run (which I love for different reasons) or against the wacky Batman / Detective issues with the goofy monster covers, against the Superman family titles with the excessive thought and speech bubbles. All of those DCs and certainly the Marvels were compelling for different reasons. But, here's this cover to B&B #44 with the small text panel that thankfully doesn't distract from the rest of the cover. To my eyes which had grown up on the twisted world of Daredevil's Hell's Kitchen, Elektra's dismissive dispatches of multiple ninjas, Bullseye's psychopathic murder streak and later the striking work of Miller on The Dark Knight, the only thing that came close to all of that was this little oasis of pure emotion and rage from the heart of the Silver Age from the likes of Joe Kubert. . .and that's what made me start looking for war comics.

Here's my copy:

BB44.jpg

Edited by Comick1

bb44.jpg

Back in 1983, I bought my second Overstreet as a teenager (the first was the Spirit Cover edition from 1976 that my dad bought more or less as a cool novelty of my family's attendance of the San Diego Comic-Con during the El Cortez days--a tradition I owe to having extraordinarily cool parents. They weren't collectors themselves, but recognized that my brother, sister, and I would LOVE going to something like that as little kids.) Anyway, I recall looking through that 1983 edition (the Mingo Alfred E. Newman cover) and constantly returning to Daredevil because the Miller run was what I was seriously collecting at the time. It took me about 3 years to come up with the allowance to finally complete every issue in the Miller run.

But the other addictive thing about the OPG was that it had that cover gallery as well as the multiple ads by the likes of Bruce Hamilton, Russ Cochrane, Forbidden Planet, Thousand Year Picnic, Redbeard's Bookden, Koch-Dolgoff-Koch and tons of other people from the ranks of the first generations of serious comics dealers.

These advertisements were less concerned with touting what they were selling. They were more interested in advertising their wantlists--often with cool pictures of Action 1, 'Tec 27, Captain America 1, AF 15, and so on accompanying the ads. This was all pre-photoshop, pre-Gerber guide, WAYYY pre-internet. OPG was the only place a 13-year old kid could see incredible key issues except for the little oasis of Comic-Con (and only then, these issues were viewable only on the display racks behind the bins that I was looking through).

I dreamed of owning things like those early key issues, reading about their first appearances, and noting that I couldn't even come up with the $$ to pay for something like one of those keys in 20 years of mowing lawns, washing cars, window-cleaning, plant-watering, etc. I started to pour through the OPG and make mental notes about these dream key books. Brave and the Bold came up at random intervals because I was familiar with the B&B 28 from some of the want-ads in the advertisement section. So my curiosity over what that book was and why people coveted it would inevitably draw me to the "B" section of Overstreet. And when I zoomed in on B&B, there was B&B 34-26 and 42-44 broken out a bit more than the other comics. I recall thinking that it seemed strange that the guide would give special mention to Kubert as being the artist of those issues. I never saw pictures of the Hawkman issues, but I could only picture his Tarzan and Sgt. Rock work because that was the Kubert stuff I was familiar with at my local 7-11 or five-and-dime store comics racks. I didn't associate Kubert with superhero stuff at all, so it just seemed weird that OPG would do that.

About 3 years later, I started actively collecting anything I could get my hands on that was 12¢ or earlier. Those B&Bs were some of the first things I went after out of sheer curiosity over what they looked like. They were tough, tough, tough to get in grade, but I lucked out with a decent VF copy of B&B 44 when I was about 17 years old from a local dealer who traded it across for a Tales of Suspense 60 that I had. I remember looking at that B&B 44 and thinking that it was a thousand times cooler than my brain could conjure for not having seen it in the OPG or in the bins at any stores or Comic-Cons. It looked painted, too. It dawned upon me why Kubert was broken out, too. What a stunner!

I have sold so many superhero issues from my collection over the years in order to fund my war comics run, but could never bring myself to sell those B&B Hawkmans. Too cool for words. I have always maintained that the #44 is exemplary simply because of the pure rage that no other artist could quite capture in that late-10¢ / early 12¢ era. Juxtapose that against the Anderson issues from the Hawkman run (which I love for different reasons) or against the wacky Batman / Detective issues with the goofy monster covers, against the Superman family titles with the excessive thought and speech bubbles. All of those DCs and certainly the Marvels were compelling for different reasons. But, here's this cover to B&B #44 with the small text panel that thankfully doesn't distract from the rest of the cover. To my eyes which had grown up on the twisted world of Daredevil's Hell's Kitchen, Elektra's dismissive dispatches of multiple ninjas, Bullseye's psychopathic murder streak and later the striking work of Miller on The Dark Knight, the only thing that came close to all of that was this little oasis of pure emotion and rage from the heart of the Silver Age from the likes of Joe Kubert. . .and that's what made me start looking for war comics.

Here's my copy:

BB44.jpg

Oh, how I love posts like this :cloud9: I'd love to see a book, or even a sticky thread on the boards, where people could capture for posterity their defining moments from the dawn of their fanaticism. The vicarious passion is almost nourishing....... thank you for allowing us to bask in it's glow. GOD BLESS....

On a side note, I preferred the pre-Miller's Bullseye, but as a non-DC reader I love the Hawkman (and now that I have seen the early stories thanks to tabcom’s Flash Comics Journal I am really intrigued… :cloud9: )

Delve deeper, Claudio, you won't regret it. I know you're a true fan and enthusiast..... I highly reccommend the Hawkman DC Archive edition that collects the 6 B&B issues plus MIS 89 and 90..... I pull mine out often.... it has paid for itself many times over. It's a perfect example of a mini run whose sum is greater than it's parts and just resonates with it's times. GOD BLESS...

P.S. If you ever get a chance to buy a Flash Comics 96...... WOW.....What a comic !

This is not new in my collection, but I got it signed in WW Chicago. I remember when I first bought this issue. It was my favorite growing up. I bet I have read it about 300 times. My Grandmother bought this issue for me when I was 13 I think. I think that was the only she ever went into a comic shop. I am a lot older now and I sure missing seeing her, but with this issue she will always be in my thoughts and heart.

100_5919_zps6b1a128a.jpg

This is not new in my collection, but I got it signed in WW Chicago. I remember when I first bought this issue. It was my favorite growing up. I bet I have read it about 300 times. My Grandmother bought this issue for me when I was 13 I think. I think that was the only she ever went into a comic shop. I am a lot older now and I sure missing seeing her, but with this issue she will always be in my thoughts and heart.

100_5919_zps6b1a128a.jpg

That's a poignant way to remember a loved one.

SLR