• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing?

79 posts in this topic

I'm a relative newbie to the boards, so excuse me for asking - what's the deal with pressing? I've bought a few books that have obviously been pressed. Is it considered resto? How does it affect the quality or preservation of a book? How does/should it affect the grade? Where does one get it done? How many more inane questions could I ask about the subject?

Thanks!

Why would you say it was obvious??

Well, the book I'm looking at now is SA, 1966, and it is super-flat. Also, there is color-breaking all down the spine, which seems flattened somewhat.

Just what we need, another pressing thread.

To answer the OP, there are a number of individuals offering pressing services.

Matt Nelson is the biggest name, he also offers resto and resto removal services.

I heard our own Joeypost does excellent work.

Qualitycomix (active on the Boards) also offers pressing services.

To comment on the question of a book with 'obvious' pressing. There are some

books I have seen that look like Joan Rivers = it was obviously pressed. I think this

happens mostly on the 9.8 candidates with some slight spine ticks = squeezing the bleep out of the spine. Other books, especially with light folds, you would never know = they look great.

Only thing you need to know, is that CGC doesn't consider it resto.

So folks do it to knock out spine "ticks" before sending to CGC?

If you can tell the book was pressed, it wasn't done right.

Only if the spine ticks do not break color. (thumbs u

DRX

Not if it had a rounded spine before being pancaked. That form of pressing is readily apparent to those familiar with the comic from beforehand.

Not if it had a rounded spine before being pancaked. That form of pressing is readily apparent to those familiar with the comic from beforehand.

It makes me cringe to think somebody is pressing a book hard enough to have this happen because the nature of an interior lends itself to being rounded due to the outerwraps not ever really having a hard crease compared to the sharply folded centerwraps.

I imagine this only happens on SA books. But even then, if it is, they are doing it all wrong and makes me wonder if this is more a case of a book being smushed under a ton of old books to try and press it.

It makes me cringe to think somebody is pressing a book hard enough to have this happen because the nature of an interior lends itself to being rounded due to the outerwraps not ever really having a hard crease compared to the sharply folded centerwraps.

I imagine this only happens on SA books. But even then, if it is, they are doing it all wrong and makes me wonder if this is more a case of a book being smushed under a ton of old books to try and press it.

I'm not sure I understand the process completely. How can a book be pressed without creasing (smudging) the spine?

Only if the spine ticks do not break color. (thumbs u

DRX

Are these the same ones that carry lyme disease? :ohnoez: