• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Treasure Hunters Roadshow -- THIEVES !!!

137 posts in this topic

What were the books?

Not doubting your story one minute, trying to figure out what percentage of true retail they're paying.

I would love to hear that too, just so we can do that real math.

Judging by his description of 12 books, worth $8000 retail, and the guy telling him that they were worth $300 total and probably offering him a max of $150 that is an offer of 1.9% of value.

In graphic terms they are offering the equivalent of: banangetsit2.gif

Or more clearly they will give you this:

Chevron%20Beads.jpg

in exchange for this:

fig202.jpg

:roflmao: you made me choke on my coke!

The pawn shop example is a false equivalence. Unlike a pawn shop, once the transaction is made -- no returns. In addition, part of the Scammers marketing is that they have a mysterious database of buyers in specific niches that know the market value of seemingly everything.

My guess is they have an eBay presents somewhere that they are moving the stuff.

Did the other people in there trying to sell stuff to them seem like they had anything of value?

I saw guns, the older folk were discrete about what they had.

If it we're me, and i had 20 people in there with a bunch of junk when you walked in with your collection I would have moved you to the front of the line.
The carnival barker did a good job of weeding out the junk -- sent them home, when they walked in the door.

Is there any chance the didn't know what they we're looking at, (your books)?
The guy with the bad breathe had a canned offer (as if he never saw a comic book worth over $25 before in his life) before I could cycle through the stack.

given that they're buying everything under the sun they might not really know what anything is worth and figure anything really that old is worth at least $25. afterall, if these had been reader grade copies of some dell four colors or some WDCSes or something like that from around that time, $25 a pop would not be so nuts. I guess that's possible, though highly unlikely I suppose.

Devil's Advocate here: I'm not entirely opposed to what they did. . . .

I agree with you.

In the sense that an owner of something old and perceived of value should do their own due diligence and determined the value of the item and NEVER trust an opinion of a traveling pirate show thieve with bad breathe.

If they want to do business with pirates, they are going to get ripped off.

. . . if these had been reader grade copies of some dell four colors or some WDCSes or something like that from around that time, $25 a pop would not be so nuts. I guess that's possible, though highly unlikely I suppose.
That scenario is probably 99% of the stuff they buy.

What irritated me is that their advert shows an Action #1 in their Buying Comics Box. They are clearly phishing for the big one.

In which case they probably have a decent idea of what they're looking at. Someone should bring in an Action 1.

What irritated me is that their advert shows an Action #1 in their Buying Comics Box. They are clearly phishing for the big one.

In which case they probably have a decent idea of what they're looking at. Someone should bring in an Action 1.

Better than that, take a de-covered FFE Treasury copy of Action 1 and see if they offer you $25.

given that they're buying everything under the sun they might not really know what anything is worth and figure anything really that old is worth at least $25. afterall, if these had been reader grade copies of some dell four colors or some WDCSes or something like that from around that time, $25 a pop would not be so nuts. I guess that's possible, though highly unlikely I suppose.

This is why I said it would be good to have someone come in with a bunch of drek also.

I really doubt they had any idea the true value of the books you brought.

Maybe you are being facetious, I don't know.

Really the only thing most of these types of operations are interested in, is gold. They want to separate as many people as possible in each locale from as much jewelry as possible. It pays the hotel, travel, etc. Everything else they have very limited knowledge, probably about as much as Munch or whatever the guy's name is that they use to first test blunderbusses on Pawnstars.

Everything else they have very limited knowledge, probably about as much as Munch or whatever the guy's name is that they use to first test blunderbusses on Pawnstars.

Chumlee.

l_a79419cf488f41ce846a33aea3cf8207.jpg

"Why's that comic in a plastic case? You can't read it that way! I like comics. And pie."

They did a similar thing in our city a couple of years ago with an ad in the paper quoting actual prices they would pay for items (barbie dolls, cards, old fishing equipment, etc). Not familiar with a bunch of the items they were offering I decided to look up recent sales on eBay - and wouldn't you know it I could match each item in their buying list at 50% of a recently closed eBay auction (back when eBay would keep closed items listed for a month or so).

I doubt there were any closed pre-hero Tecs on eBay recently, but just seeing those examples a few years ago when they were here was enough for me to know to stay away from them and their list of "buyers"

Sound like scum :mad:

Wonder how many people they have stolen from? hm

+1

These people sound like pure scum. I would have had to call them out right there on their B.S. I cant stand scum-bags like this that think everyones an uneducated idiotz. Just my 2c though. I had to edit my post. I've had a few beers today and when I here krap like this my blood pressure reaches critical mass. (thumbs u

DRX

The pawn shop example is a false equivalence. Unlike a pawn shop, once the transaction is made -- no returns. In addition, part of the Scammers marketing is that they have a mysterious database of buyers in specific niches that know the market value of seemingly everything.

My guess is they have an eBay presents somewhere that they are moving the stuff.

It is a traveling pawn shop. They wouldn't draw in anyone to their operation if it was marketed that way, so they decided to market the scheme riding the coat tails of a bunch of supposed roadie antique experts/dealers. To describe it as anything else (especially since were both in agreement on its unethical approach) is giving this way more credibility and attention than it deserves.

I just missed these guys here, but they are in a city about forty minutes away. Think I'll grab some books and my video camera and see what I can get... :devil:

In the meantime, I found these stories...

Checks Bounce from Treasure Hunters Roadshow

Treasure Hunters Roadshow's Past Problems

Roadshow Facing LawLawsuit Looks like Antiques Roadshow doesn't like these guys riding their coattails.

Treasure hunters Roadwhow and their small town grift Article refers to them as a "traveling con..."