• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Iron Man 2' Continues To Stick It To Terrence Howard

35 posts in this topic

I definitely don't need to compartmentalize it away and would rather wear it on my sleeve as I do with most of my other loves (my kids, my 80's childhood, my love for basketball, etc).

So if you weren't dating Lou and were on the market again, you'd advertise your geekiness to women you're interested in? :popcorn: If so...MISTAKE! :baiting:

I'll disagree completely. Women love originality and confidence and if you can wear the two together you'll win them over regardless of the geek factor.

(thumbs u

I definitely don't need to compartmentalize it away and would rather wear it on my sleeve as I do with most of my other loves (my kids, my 80's childhood, my love for basketball, etc).

So if you weren't dating Lou and were on the market again, you'd advertise your geekiness to women you're interested in? :popcorn: If so...MISTAKE! :baiting:

I'll disagree completely. Women love originality and confidence and if you can wear the two together you'll win them over regardless of the geek factor.

(thumbs u

(worship)

(thumbs u

There's no possible way you can't understand that simply liking comics will eliminate some women--it's unavoidable. What does make more sense is that you're fine with that...eh, I am too mostly, but most people are so picky--including myself--it's just easier not to fly the geek flag until later on.

(thumbs u

There's no possible way you can't understand that simply liking comics will eliminate some women--it's unavoidable. What does make more sense is that you're fine with that...eh, I am too mostly, but most people are so picky--including myself--it's just easier not to fly the geek flag until later on.

Everything is going to eliminate some women (or some men) but the point I'm trying to make is that if you wear it well anything can become an advantage.

(thumbs u

Everything is going to eliminate some women (or some men) but the point I'm trying to make is that if you wear it well anything can become an advantage.

Absolutely. If I take up tightrope walking, I similarly think it'd be much more of a spectacle if I juggled 16-pound bowling balls as I walked the tightrope...but given that's a ton harder...it's unwise to try it until you get to that upper skill percentile. I could probably also eventually win a bet going into bars to get X number of women's phone numbers while handicapping myself by revealing that I collect comics at some point during the initial conversations--maybe even in the openers--but it's riskier and therefore much more challenging.

This applies to business contacts as well--you can absolutely make it work, but it's a risk until you peel back enough layers from the other person to determine they're not unfairly dismissive. Given that it's typically a childhood hobby, collecting comics is very much being in a state of arrested development--it's tough for strangers to tell just how dominant a part of your personality that actually is, how deep it runs. Once you've likened yourself to the societal image of comic collectors, which is pretty much the Simpson's comic guy below along with his egotistic fixation on comic book trivia, you've created more work for yourself to convince people you're not a nutjob. :insane: On the other hand, it's a great idea to reveal it to people who will respect you more for the imagination it displays, but often it's unclear with new contacts who would like you more for it.

comic-book-guy_simpsons.jpg

(thumbs u

Absolutely. If I take up tightrope walking, I similarly think it'd be much more of a spectacle if I juggled 16-pound bowling balls as I walked the tightrope...but given that's a ton harder...it's unwise to try it until you get to that upper skill percentile. I could probably also eventually win a bet going into bars to get X number of women's phone numbers while handicapping myself by revealing that I collect comics at some point during the initial conversations--maybe even in the openers--but it's riskier and therefore much more challenging.

This applies to business contacts as well--you can absolutely make it work, but it's a risk until you peel back enough layers from the other person to determine they're not unfairly dismissive. Given that it's typically a childhood hobby, collecting comics is very much being in a state of arrested development--it's tough for strangers to tell just how dominant a part of your personality that actually is, how deep it runs. Once you've likened yourself to the societal image of comic collectors, which is pretty much the Simpson's comic guy below along with his egotistic fixation on comic book trivia, you've created more work for yourself to convince people you're not a nutjob. :insane: On the other hand, it's a great idea to reveal it to people who will respect you more for the imagination it displays, but often it's unclear with new contacts who would like you more for it.

comic-book-guy_simpsons.jpg

Worst. Ramble. Ever.

As my girlfriend tells me--it's fine to have a geek flag, but that doesn't mean you have to fly it high above your head with everyone you meet. :insane:

:roflmao:

(thumbs u

Let's just say you crave attention more than I do and leave it at that.

Let's just say you crave attention more than I do and leave it at that.

Why does it need to be about attention? Anybody can wear a suit (or clothing/fashion style of your choice) to make a conscious decision blend in. I used to as well. I decided it wasn't me.

How about just being the same on the outside as we are on the inside and leave it at that?

(thumbs u

A stud muffin/geek ...I should have a freakin' harem.... :banana:

My Lady thinks its cool i collect comics. She even went to a con with me once.....

But what does she think of you using Disco era descriptors like "My Lady"? :baiting: