• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Treasure Hunters Roadshow -- THIEVES !!!

5 posts in this topic

For those like myself that rarely wander into the General Thread, I posted this . . . .

Treasure Hunters Roadshow -- THIEVES !!!

Here is the original post:

I saw a 1/2 page color ad in my local newspaper this week advertising that the Treasure Hunters Roadshow was buying, amongst other things, Comic Books. Out of curiosity, with really no interest to sell anything to them, I compiled about a dozen comic books that I feel have a market value of $7500 - 8000 and went to their hotel meeting room. With a cursory glance of my lot of comics, I was told with a straight face by a rep with the breathe of stale tobacco that the retail value of my collection was $25 per. The implications of which was that they would be offering something far less. As another rep came over to look over my shoulder, they had a difficult time keeping a straight face as the one with bad breathe asked me if I would like to wait my turn (approx. 1.5 hours) to sell the collection. I said, 'Oh yeah, I do!'. As I immediately left the building I couldn't restrain myself and indiscreetly told the pretty little front desk attendant that I couldn't believe that they would allow such money robbing thieves on their property!

The collection that they saw was:

Detective Comics #9, 11, 12

Action Comics #18, 22

Flash Comics #22

More Fun Comics #38

ASM #9, 11, 14

For those like myself that rarely wander into the General Thread, I posted this . . . .

It should probably be posted in the WTB section as well (thumbs u

Sounds like a good place to recycle some well worn Famous First Editions!!

Seriously though, one look at the ads for these kinds of companies scream, "Come let us fleece you!" Bottom line is that it is a free country and if people are unwilling to do some basic research into what they have they may well be taken advantage of by these kinds of companies. Many collectors on these boards brag about the great deals they have made at used book stores or flea markets. Is that really so different than this? Buyer and seller beware my friend.

Not only do they use the Antiques Roadshow goodwill to get you in the door, they trash talk it to. The rep repeatedly told the folks that Antiques Roadshow gets you to come out to their events to 'sell you appraisal insurance'.