• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flee does California....

49 posts in this topic

I took some time off from my duties at the CFP Space Coast Regional Office in

beautiful downtown Cocoa Beach, FL and headed out west to visit family. Since a lot of

it was comic related, I thought I would chronicle it here.

A-wagons-west-map1.gif

Our wagon pulled off the dusty trail into Sacramento just in time for Free Comic Book Day

on May 1.

Sacramento is home to one of the coolest comic shops I have ever visited. A-1 comics on

Auburn Blvd has a NICE back issue selection as well as the usual modern stuff. It even

has its own pedigree collection (CENTRAL VALLEY).

I quickly headed over to the free comics and picked out 3 (there was a limit).

I recognized the artwork of our resident artist Darth Corgi and immediately told everyone

within earshot "I know that guy". :preach:

korgi-comic.jpg

They were having a half-off sale on the back issues in the longboxes and I always find

some cool low-grade obscure Golden Age books. However, I was told that 2 employees

didn't show up for work that day and there was a long line to make purchases. Since I

had family members in tow, I couldn't wait in line. I did recognize boardie "seank" and

introduced myself and we agreed to get together on my next visit.

Being on the East Coast, we don't have In-n-Out Burgers so I always partake

when I am out West. Their company policy of only using fresh beef means they

don't open restaurants outside of a certain distance from their patty making facility.

In Florida, the closest thing we have to In-n-Out is Five Guys. I don't like to do fast food

very often but I make an exception in this case. In-n-Out is rated number one in

fast food satisfaction surveys. I am just now learning about the In-n-Out "secret menu".

I always have to stop in at Denio's Flea Market in Roseville, which is just north of

Sacramento. Comics are abundant but you have to wade through a lot of drek.

I guess my best comic finds were Amazing Spiderman 252, 298, 299, 300 for a

dollar each (all in great shape) and a vintage comic spinner rack. There is still

one spinner rack out there with the typical bent comics hanging out of it. (See video)

On this visit I found a short box of Whitmans and had to make a quick call back

to MCMiles to ascertain if these were the more desirable ones. I think they were

a little too early. I picked up a batch of them for $1 each because they were in

nice shape. Here are a few of them.

whitmans.jpg

On to the city by the bay, San Francisco or more specifically: Japantown.

Golden-Gate.jpg

japan-town.jpg

After doing some picture taking at the Golden Gate bridge I dropped the wife off at the

Japanese Dollar store and headed down to the Kinokuya bookstore. They have

an amazing selection of Graphic Arts and Design books that I seldom see elsewhere.

I could spend all day in there just flipping through the books getting ideas. I picked up

one illustration magazine that had some familiar images in it.

japanese-article.jpg

Can anyone translate what it says?

Here is something my wife picked up that I just had to share. It was in one

of the Japanese Dollar stores and was part of a series of 8 cat toys kinda like Happy

Meal toys. You don't know what you get until you open the box. I am glad

she got this one.

kitty-litter-box2-1.jpg

It is now occupying a prominent position on my office desk.

:acclaim:

Here is some footage of a window display of a vintage Japanese toy store. Nowadays

there are more Marvel and DC things mixed in with the Godzilla and Ultraman.

As a military brat, I spent a lot of time in Japan during my childhood and this

store sure brought back some happy memories.

After watching the movie "Ramen Girl" starring the late Brittany Murphy. The wife and

I have been trying to find some great noodle shops. While in Japantown we ate at the

Sapporo-ya Restaurant where they make their noodles every morning behind the window

in front of their shop. I would give them a B+, the broth and ingredients were good

and the noodles were fresh they but seemed to be more like soft spagetti noodles.

In Sacramento there is a VERY small ramen shop called Shoki. It is always packed and

for good reason. They take great pride in their broth (8 hours of preparation combining

vegetable, chicken and pork broths). They do not do take-out orders because it would

compromise how they want their product consumed. Think Seinfelds soup-nazi. I would

give them an A and will now measure all other Ramen shops by this one. If you go, add

the Shiitake mushrooms and the tofu (very fresh).

shoki-ramen.jpg

Does anyone know of any other authentic Ramen shops in Northern Cali? Or anywhere

else for that matter.

And finally, instead of paying checked luggage fees, we decided to just pick up some

clothes while we were out there. I found this old-school Iron Man T-shirt at a Wal-Mart

that I just love. I know we nit-pick the super-hero movies and rant about how unfaithful they are to the

comics, etc. but the byproduct of these comic book characters being in the mainstream now

is that these kind of products are readily available and can be proudly worn in public. :cloud9:

iron-man-tshirt.jpg

Come up north, dorkus

How do you know I'm not there right now? :shy::insane:

Any good ramen shops in Vancouver?

Yes

was the spinner rack you picked up the same as the one shown? (spinner rack envy showing)

Yes it is.

I have two being stored out in California for me. The one pictured in the

video and the one with Archie, Superman, Richie Rich and Spider-man on it.

Here is something my wife picked up that I just had to share. It was in one

of the Japanese Dollar stores and was part of a series of 8 cat toys kinda like Happy

Meal toys. You don't know what you get until you open the box. I am glad

she got this one.

kitty-litter-box2-1.jpg

It is now occupying a prominent position on my office desk.

:acclaim:

That is great.

shoki-ramen.jpg

Does anyone know of any other authentic Ramen shops in Northern Cali? Or anywhere

else for that matter.

Flee this is THE BEST ramen restuarant in So. Cal.(little Tokyo Los Angeles)

http://www.examiner.com/x-1868-LA-Restaurant-Examiner~y2009m10d22-Spice-up-your-life-at-Orochon-Ramen

This place was on Man vs. Food,try the special #2 the hottest ramen soup you'll ever taste,but good stuff. :cloud9: