• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Little Orphan Annie Skips off into the Sunset

57 posts in this topic

2557125168_864db8c9ce_b.jpg

By Michael Cavna

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, May 14, 2010

The sun will come out tomorrow -- but there won't be many more tomorrows for "Little Orphan Annie."

Daddy Warbucks's favorite pupil-less redhead had enough Depression-tested pluck to survive 86 years in daily newspapers, but now the orphan's outta luck. Come June 13, her clear-eyed comic strip will end as her syndicate, Tribune Media Services, sends her off into the sunset. Canceled.

"Annie," which merited a commemorative U.S. postage stamp in 1995, runs in about 20 newspapers. The strip was created by Harold Gray in 1924.

"Believe me, this wasn't a decision we took lightly," said Steve Tippie, TMS's vice president of licensing. "But we also felt that 'Annie,' unlike many strips, has such wide, almost iconic presence in our culture that it would serve the character and our business best if we focused on other channels more appropriate to the 'kids' nature of the property."

The strip's current artist, Ted Slampyak, said: "It's almost like mourning the loss of a friend."

Even though she is only 90+ years old she can always go back to selling flowers. Social Security isn't enough to live on.

4606513298_1754f9d95e_b.jpg

Scans are from Popular 9 and 22 and furnished by GA.UK.

OK, I am a big fan of Annie but perhaps it is because I remember what she looked like when she grew up and got contacts.

4605858585_35923f5e04.jpg

No classic strip would be complete without a parody in Mad.

4606532632_5539a03d5e_b.jpg

From Mad 9 and shared by an unknown scanner.

Orphan Annie Nuclei.

Thank you Dr.

Is it an artifact from thin sectioning or just ordinary stained and unstained nuclei? My last job consisted of a lot of tissue culture and a bunch of immunostaining which looked similar. Back when I was a student we used the big scopes as well.

I found that electron microscopy was very artistic but not as scientific. Cytochemistry seemed about the same.

LittleOAnniebetter.jpg

I have one of those BB. Yours is much nicer though. The story in this book is amazing in that the kidnappers have no qualms at all about murdering little Annie. Its brutal.

Another Orphan Annie reference that I just love is from that movie " A Christmas Story"........where he decodes her secret message on his new ring.....and is very unhappy with the results.

Cheers to Annie !! :applause:

LittleOAnniebetter.jpg

I have one of those BB. Yours is much nicer though. The story in this book is amazing in that the kidnappers have no qualms at all about murdering little Annie. Its brutal.

Another Orphan Annie reference that I just love is from that movie " A Christmas Story"........where he decodes her secret message on his new ring.....and is very unhappy with the results.

Cheers to Annie !! :applause:

I have double of both of those Annie giveaways. They have pretty good stories and like the art. Mad makes fun of her juicy rationalizations.

I have several decoder badges but no messages to decode. I do have an All Star comic that has a message which someone has been kind enough to decode for me. My JSA decoder is a cardboard copy from the DC archives book but the Radio Orphan Annie Badges are authentic gold painted metal. They all still work fine.

I was an ROA and Red Ryder fan before I watched the Christmas Story movie but it helped motivate me to pick up a few of those collector's items.

bb

Orphan Annie Nuclei.

Thank you Dr.

Is it an artifact from thin sectioning or just ordinary stained and unstained nuclei? My last job consisted of a lot of tissue culture and a bunch of immunostaining which looked similar. Back when I was a student we used the big scopes as well.

I found that electron microscopy was very artistic but not as scientific. Cytochemistry seemed about the same.

"Orphan Annie eyes" are classically found in the sectioning of papillary thyroid cancer using standard staining. Never thought I would get to post them on a comic book bulletin board so I had to take advantage of the opportunity.

2285578621_423dd90fb2_b.jpg

Her first appearance in a comic with regular format after the Cupples and Leon series was Popular #1.

(worship) Another book I need

I have a double. Should I send you one?

:jokealert:

I also have a Little Orphan Annie board game from around 1920-1930 but haven't figured how to scan the board. My camera needs batteries and it isn't very good.

bb