• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ghost rider may be 1st original bronze supernatural character

41 posts in this topic

Dr. Strange?

And if you're going to argue that's an 'archetype' what about the Dread Dormammu? You can't call everything an archetypehi.gif

edit: question originally asked first since the Heap in Airboy. Hence the silver age answer 893blahblah.gif

it hit me the other day, that Ghost rider is the 1st original concept supernatural character in bronze comics, and actually the 1st since the heap debuted in airboy back in the 40's. All the others were based on literary characters or archetypes. Just a thought....

What about Deadman?

Jim

Hell what about the swamp thing? hi.gif

Actually...couldn't you say ST was based off of the Heap? Same with Man-Thing......confused.gif

Jim

Are you arguing the point about being the first since the Heap or that these other choices were started in the Bronze Age? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually...couldn't you say ST was based off of the Heap? Same with Man-Thing......confused.gif

Jim

Are you arguing the point about being the first since the Heap or that these other choices were started in the Bronze Age? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No...I'm saying (or trying to...) some could say that the Heap was the inspiration for Swamp Thing. So not an original concept.....

Jim

Jim

No...I'm saying (or trying to...) some could say that the Heap was the inspiration for Swamp Thing. So not an original concept.....

Jim

Ooops...should have quoted your Deadman answer! confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Jim

Oh I doubt it was the first since the Heap but yeah....you get the gist......it's close enough to the Bronze Age for my tastes...... grin.gif

Jim

Jim

Jim

Oh I doubt it was the first since the Heap but yeah....you get the gist......it's close enough to the Bronze Age for my tastes...... grin.gif

Jim

Ok...Strange Adventures 205 makes more sense than Bronty's Strange Tales 110! smirk.gif

Yeah, Deadman certainly qualifies as an original supernatural concept pre-dating G.R.

As does Phantom Stranger (Bronze Age revival and 1950s first run miniseries)

And Jack Kirby's Demon is also a virtual tie w/G.R. 893blahblah.gif

ok, all! here i go....

i could give it to deadman, but he is an avenging ghost, which is an archetype

manthing & swamp thing are both heap descendants

dr. strange i thought of, but seems to be a descendant of mandrake & sargon & dr, fate to a degree

Brother voodoo is new, but follows GR.

Ghost rider is a flaming skull head demon on a motorcycle.

i guess the demon aspect isn't exactly new, but the tying it to a human and making him the protagonist was a new idea at the time.

i am not sold on this, it was a thought that struck me, i''d love to hear opinions!

also i was referring to bronze, throwing that heap comment in there was a mistake, i type faster than i think sometimes.... re-edited to ease debate!

i was thinking about this because it seemed so many of the bronze weird books were rehashes of previous ideas, and then i noticed GR sticks out like a sore thumb from that group.

Phantom stranger is a definite candidate there, i can't remember his origin, any refreshers?

That was his whole schtick: There was no origin for the Phantom Stranger! At least until the 1980s, when DC published a book with 4 different, intentionally contradictory alternatives. The one that seems to have stuck is Alan Moore's. Spoiler Below!

Given your clarification, PS wouldn't qualify as an all-original Bronze Age concept, since it revives the 1950s version.

Spoilers for a mid-1980s issue of Secret Origins, also reprinted I believe in the Across the Universe Alan Moore TPB from last year. The cool thing is, I can re-tell Moore's story entirely in Graemlins!.......... insane.gif27_laughing.gifacclaim.gif

devil.gif or angel.gif ? => confused-smiley-013.gif then sumo.gif followed by boo.gifflamed.gif893whatthe.gif and sorry.gif

Translation:

In this telling, PS was an angel at the beginning of time who could not decide between joining Satan's revolt or fighting for Yahweh. As punishment, his wings were torn off and he had to spend the rest of time walking between heaven and hell, a stranger to both of those places.