• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a couple of questions about the buying in the sales forum

94 posts in this topic

I ask a lot of questions about a book before I buy it.

If the seller is good enough to take the time to review the book, then I am going to pay asking price.

If the asking price is high compared to guide, I might ask for shipping or a % equivalant.

I made a joke about this in BrianR's sales thread. He and I have had a good relationship here on the boards. The lowball offer I posted was a joke. I did end up buying the book, but it was a package deal since he had a book that I was asking about last year. I had him give me a price for both, he gave me a price and I accepted. The books will now be locked away.

Lowballing can be insulting. A really low offer I wont respond. I will also cut better deals for collectors over flippers. I understand everyone likes money, but lowballing to flip just bothers me.

I was actually thinking you would counter the offer :baiting: I didn't think you would accept the first offer out.

I considered your offer to be too low to be honest. I would have paid a bit more... But in the end these books arent going to be offered back up for sale, and the price you gave me was very generous. But in the end this is one of those deals where you eventually repay the favor. (thumbs u

boy, if it wasn't so easily manipulateable, i'd suggest a thread wherein anyone who throws an insulting lowball gets outed.

i know that if i get someone who responds to a "no thank you" to their offer when i start selling some stuff - soon, hopefully :wishluck: - with a "you don't know the market" is going to get outed in their very own thread. but i'd love to see if everyone getting craptacular "offers" are getting them from the same people

For my last sales thread

I received four offers lower then my asking prices.

Two I accepted right out.

One I countered and was accepted by the buyer

One I turned down because it was 50% of my asking price which was already at 70% of my 3 year old guide.

I wouldn't ask for more than 10-15% than the asking.

Especially if it's a good deal already.

I am usually a sellers dream because I pay ASAP and

sometimes I've even been know to tip on occasion for solid packaging

and or a timely delivery.

I may act a little nutty some times on these boards, but I would be surprised

if sellers didn't think highly of me and my practices.

(thumbs u

Folks can ask and offer whatever they want, just like we can all think of them as flippers, low-ballers, and greedy SOB's. Where's the dignity people!?!?

Frankly, I'd be embarassed to make some of the offers I've received, or to ask some of the prices I've seen listed here. doh!

:applause:

One of the reason why I stopped selling here was the never-ending slew of PMs, making oft-times derisory offers. My time was (and is) limited and having to engage in pleasant and well-mannered communication with somebody who was not interested in paying a 'fair' price, but rather wanted to win the lottery at my expense, was wearing.

Yes, you're entitled to offer what you want...but don't complain if you are consequently thought of as a right tit.

Case in point...after running a long sales thread (around 300 pages, I think :eek: ), I was left with a short-box full of common mid-grade SA stuff. Prices were around 40% of OS, but this wasn't good enough for one boarder who offered 25% of my asking price...pretty much 10% of OS. When I politely thanked him for his interest but declined his offer, he sent PM after PM, advising me that his offer was 'fair', that I wouldn't get better, and that I didn't understand the market. meh

Strangely, the people who bought from me on a semi-regular basis rarely asked for discount or made 'offers'. And now, when I have something of my own to sell, it's usually done via PM with those same people.

jeeze, just because I wanted free shipping on over 150 books shipped from the U.K. :censored:

At least I got a shipping bargain from the Ca***** Shipping Service :cloud9:

:P

Some of you are completely full of it. I frequently see books listed for double GPA that just sit. Sure it's the sellers choice to ask what they want but to think a realistic offer to be insulting? What's insulting is these books that are over-priced in our so called "community".

It's too bad really. Over the last 6 months we've had to wade through some over priced stuff lately. Nevermind the whining everyones doing now about their books not selling.

Preach it! :applause:

Seems that you're throwing the bath water out with the baby. Your reputation is excellent and your sales threads were pretty successful. Low offers are part of selling and easy to say no thanks to.

I've purchased from you and paid your very fair asking price without delay. I would love to see another FT sales thread

Think of all those loyal fans waiting patiently for a fix. Think about the excellent exposure that selling here will bring to your new business.

boy, if it wasn't so easily manipulateable, i'd suggest a thread wherein anyone who throws an insulting lowball gets outed.

i know that if i get someone who responds to a "no thank you" to their offer when i start selling some stuff - soon, hopefully :wishluck: - with a "you don't know the market" is going to get outed in their very own thread. but i'd love to see if everyone getting craptacular "offers" are getting them from the same people.

I'm sure they are...and I love your idea of a lowballer thread. In fact, next time I get one (and they often come from the same parties), I'll start a "I'll take lowballers for $500 Alex!" thread and let folks vote on whether it was a lowball offer or not. And if the public demands it, they'll be outed! :devil:

Seems that you're throwing the bath water out with the baby. Your reputation is excellent and your sales threads were pretty successful. Low offers are part of selling and easy to say no thanks to.

I've purchased from you and paid your very fair asking price without delay. I would love to see another FT sales thread

Think of all those loyal fans waiting patiently for a fix. Think about the excellent exposure that selling here will bring to your new business.

+1 :headbang:

Oh, I've wrestled with this over and over. Certainly the ambience of the Marketplace changed sometime around two years ago, which was part of the issue I had, and I also got stung a number of times. There are at least four members of the Probation List that I had to put on there. doh!

Additionally, I have been very short of time and dealing with the krap, rather than simply selling books, wasn't really in my best interests.

The real shame is I actually loved running a sales thread. :(

a short-box full of common mid-grade SA stuff. Prices were around 40% of OS, but this wasn't good enough for one boarder who offered 25% of my asking price...pretty much 10% of OS. When I politely thanked him for his interest but declined his offer, he sent PM after PM, advising me that his offer was 'fair', that I wouldn't get better, and that I didn't understand the market. meh

40% of OPG for mid-grade SA stuff is a GOOD price, especially, ESPECIALLY from someone who grades accurately.

Accurately graded, at 40% of OPG, is better than ANYONE willl buy for on eBay, unless they're incredibly lucky.

To then be berated for not selling for the buyer's asking price is just bald arrogance.

We all know our motives for what we do, whether buying or selling. I've said it before, there are two opposing forces in business that are exaggerated on this board: the first is that the buyers on this board want a better price (sometimes a much better price) than they could obtain elsewhere, and the sellers on this board are either tired of having to give stuff away to sell here, and have responded by overpricing, or, in other cases, are just plain greedy.

It works both ways...if someone can sell an item for $2000 on another venue, why on earth would they sell it here for $1200? What benefit is it to them? Who here is running a comic book charity? Unless it's a reward for past business, or an incentive in hopes of future business (a very tenuous position), it makes no sense to the seller.

If someone is doing it "just to be nice", that is the very definition of charity, and that's very nice to do...but it's not an accurate reflection of the market, and the buyer should be VERY grateful.

Oh, I've wrestled with this over and over. Certainly the ambience of the Marketplace changed sometime around two years ago, which was part of the issue I had, and I also got stung a number of times. There are at least four members of the Probation List that I had to put on there. doh!

Additionally, I have been very short of time and dealing with the krap, rather than simply selling books, wasn't really in my best interests.

Try it again, we promise to play nice (Nerf and I at least).

Perhaps you could state that prices are relatively firm or "Low baller free zone, ball somewhere else".

Try it again, we promise to play nice (Nerf and I at least).

Perhaps you could state that prices are relatively firm or "Low baller free zone, ball somewhere else".

Too bad there's not an "auto reject" option, like there is on eBay... lol