• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Help: Reattaching Word Balloons

11 posts in this topic

Gentlemen,

Could someone in the community please offer me some advice on attaching a loose word balloon? I recently purchased a piece of original comic art from 1984 (a beautiful Bill Sienkiewicz New Mutants piece) on which one of the word balloons has come loose. It appears that the age of the piece rendered the adhesive it was affixed to inert.

I would like to reattach this balloon, but am concerned about doing long-term damage to the piece. Would anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Thanks for your time,

carlos a.s. lising

("Antithesis")

I've always just used a glue stick.

I have one page that has had a balloon fall off numerous times. So, I'm not sure if the glue stick is really the best fix. But, the art has not been damaged by it.

You may want to make sure any glue you use is "acid free" and safe for archival purposes. There are a lot of products that advertise safe for archival purposes but I would check with an experienced salesperson in an art store.

It should prevent "yellowing" in the future after you reattach the word balloon.

Cheers!

N.

N,

Thanks! It just so happens that my wife works at a craft superstore, so I'm familiar with acid and lignin-free products through her. I just wondered, I suppose, whether there was an "industry-standard" manner of performing the task that I was unaware of. I'm relatively new to the OA collecting hobby and so a lot of these things, I've yet to learn. :)

Thanks again for your advice!

Antithesis

Talas art supply in Brooklyn NY is a great source for archival supplies they operate primarily by mail order.

this is part of their mission/story statement:

"Established in 1962 by Elaine and Herbert Haas, Talas became the first company in the US to serve the museum and library community with hand bookbinding and conservation supplies."

http://talasonline.com

Here is their adhesives catalog page, they probably will have some good advice if contacted.

http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/category_listing.cfm?ClientID=15&CategoryTLID=55

Hope this helps!

Best

Lee

N,

Thanks! It just so happens that my wife works at a craft superstore, so I'm familiar with acid and lignin-free products through her. I just wondered, I suppose, whether there was an "industry-standard" manner of performing the task that I was unaware of. I'm relatively new to the OA collecting hobby and so a lot of these things, I've yet to learn. :)

Thanks again for your advice!

Antithesis

Let's put it this way, ANY reasonable quality glue you use now will be much better for the art that the glue they used back in the 1980's!