• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about CGC "Signature Series" label color

25 posts in this topic

Hello fellow boardies,

This is a totally random Friday musing, but I was wondering what you all thought of the color used for the CGC "Signature Series" label.

I'm a relatively new buyer of slabs (less than a year), but after having now seen and researched literally hundreds if not thousands of them while growing my collection, I've reached a couple of conclusions. While I find the standard blue label quite pleasing aesthetically, and both the green and PLOD labels appropriate to readily distinguish those slabs from the blues, in my estimation the Sig Series label takes away from the overall eye appeal of the slab given its fugly mustard color.

It seems to me that yellow (or gold, however it's described) simply clashes with far too many covers and complements the color scheme of few of them. I would suggest that a silver- or platinum-colored label would not only make the signature slabs appear far more prestigious, but they'd also look great with those covers signed in silver Sharpie and the vast majority of covers, overall. I'd be interested if someone could P'Shop a yellow label and turn it silver to test this theory...

I haven't bought a Sig Series slab yet, and while that's in part due to the lack of having found a personal grail of some sort, yet, it's also in part due to the fact that I just haven't considered investing in one all that seriously given how I find the overall appearance of the piece is rendered so unattractive by the label.

There's a reason so few sports teams have ever made a successful go of dijon-colored uniforms (apologies to the throwback unis of last year's Denver Broncos):

broncos-throwback.jpg

What's your take?

If they could go back in time, they might change it, and your suggestions might work really well. But they will not change it now because they have too much time and money invested in the brand, and it is known by the consumer. If they changed the color now, it would be confusing and potentially damaging to the brand.

Interesting... It seems that the majority does indeed like the yellow label!

Different strokes for different folks, obviously.

As for classic sports uniforms, I can add these to the Broncos-Astros mix:

canucks.jpg

Late '70s Vancouver Canucks

4003205043_a148b7e655_o.jpg

Throwback San Diego Padres

As has been mentioned, the yellow label makes the signatures pop - a silver label makes everything seem drab:

cgcsilverlabel.jpg

That's a great mockup. See, in my estimation the yellow distracts from the cover while the silver allows you to focus on the cover. Again, to each his own, of course...

That is a really good mock-up.

I still prefer the yellow. I'm not a SS guy anyway, so really it doesn't matter to me.

But, I think the yellow was picked for the reason I said earlier; art pops better off the yellow.

When I was considering framing my OA, I always thought the art looked the best against yellow. It certainly works well for the blank sketch covers (which I assume account for a good number of the SS submissions).

The "Signature Series" equivalent of PGX uses a silver label. You could always use them. (shrug)