• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #1 Sketch Covers (I Am An Avenger) Megathread

3,331 posts in this topic

yeah Devilsrain and I did the same thing.

I still sold one of his sketches the other day for $60 on ebay lol

Yea that mofo borderline cursed me. We offered him good money to draw something half assed. I mean not his usual half assed effort, something more along the lines of that one.

Yea that mofo borderline cursed me. We offered him good money to draw something half assed. I mean not his usual half assed effort, something more along the lines of that one.

You think perhaps he's a little hesitant to do these things in light of the fact that they got spun on ebay shortly after being done?

You think perhaps he's a little hesitant to do these things in light of the fact that they got spun on ebay shortly after being done?

Yea I can see getting a little miffed about doing a nice drawing (and I obviously use the word nice loosely) for someone for free and then have them immediately dump it on Ebay. Thats why we offered him money! And if hes even more paranoid that we will sell it, then personalize the F'n thing.

I still dont understand why artists would care if someone sold their art. If an artist thinks hes getting ripped off for his efforts he can always charge more.

Yea I can see getting a little miffed about doing a nice drawing (and I obviously use the word nice loosely) for someone for free and then have them immediately dump it on Ebay. Thats why we offered him money! And if hes even more paranoid that we will sell it, then personalize the F'n thing.

I still dont understand why artists would care if someone sold their art. If an artist thinks hes getting ripped off for his efforts he can always charge more.

Fair enough and I understand your point. If I bought a car from someone for X amount of dollars and then spruced it up and then sold it for profit should the original seller feel cheated? The original seller could have very easily either spruced it up themselves or asked for more money to begin with. That's essentially what CGC does to a comic book right? Spruces up the book and demands a higher value.

Fact of the matter is some artists simply don't take kindly to making other people money for what they feel is their talent. They don't take into consideration all the foot work and other expenses required to get a book SS graded; especially today in lou of the new rules and regulations.

At the end of the day I would always respect a persons right to say "no" whatever their reason may be. I wouldn't want people hounding me to do work for them if I didn't want too.

My 2c ... which probably isn't even worth that much

Fair enough and I understand your point. If I bought a car from someone for X amount of dollars and then spruced it up and then sold it for profit should the original seller feel cheated? The original seller could have very easily either spruced it up themselves or asked for more money to begin with. That's essentially what CGC does to a comic book right? Spruces up the book and demands a higher value.

Fact of the matter is some artists simply don't take kindly to making other people money for what they feel is their talent. They don't take into consideration all the foot work and other expenses required to get a book SS graded; especially today in lou of the new rules and regulations.

At the end of the day I would always respect a persons right to say "no" whatever their reason may be. I wouldn't want people hounding me to do work for them if I didn't want too.

My 2c ... which probably isn't even worth that much

Ill buy that. I think thats what a lot of artists dont realize too, that having their work CGC'd adds (in some cases a lot of) value.

Hey, if an artist doesnt want to sketch, fine. I know I always make a stink when I see a starlin but it was because the guy was an A hole. Not because he draws badly. And I dont even think he draws that badly. Ive seen a lot of his art (including sketch covers) that look really cool. I think the guy just doesnt want to be bothered with putting in a LITTLE bit more effort. When we offered him money, I wasnt expecting him to break out the inks and copics and spend the weekend on it. I just wanted it rendered slightly more. But again it was out of the question.

No not at all. I think he just did not want to sketch for real $$ at all. I asked him for a sketch in Boston and then later on at a few later cons. He brought at home full figure character sketches for 150 and up. I said can I leave you a blank cover and you do a sketch on one of these? He just was not budging. I really do not think it had anything to do with ebay.