• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-man Ditko splash

9 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Me and my friend were having a discussion, and we wanted to know your opinion on it. We were discussing whether we though this Ditko splash on CAF was real. I thought the paper looked too new and that the whole page didn't look right (especially for such an old page). He though it was just kept in good condition.........

http://207.166.222.120/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=197339&GSub=2386

I hope it is real, for the owner.

Darcy

Knowing the reputation of the owner i'm SURE it's authenticity is not even a question. As far the paper, it's very possible that it was cleaned and or de-acidified by a restorer at some point, which wouldn't surprise me on a piece of this stature. And of course the digital pic, especially shot through a frame, often doesn't capture the true tone and texture of the paper.

Wish I owned the piece!!!

Ken

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=19201

The complete story was auctioned in 2006 through Mastro Auctions. I picked up 3 pages myself and can tell you that the condition of each page is utterly immaculate. I think the only other pages I have from that era are from "Modeling With Millie", and each of those pages is also in absolutely perfect condition. I have some theories, but maybe someone here can tell us definitively why much of the 1960s original Marvel art you see is in such pristine condition, whereas much of the pages from the 1970s and 1980s are not? hm(shrug)

It's 100% authentic. I have tracked these pages since they were originally sold at public auction back in 1992. I knew the owner before they were sold in 1992. I knew the guy who bought them in 1992 and I tried for years to get him to sell the story to me. I went to the Mastro Auction offices to see the pages and they were still in the same perfect condition that they were in 1992.

Having owned Ditko Spidey pages from several issues from 6 to 35 over the years I can tell you that some of them (most of them, if not all of them) are blindingly white, clean and beautiful.

Put your worries to rest, Paul's splash is the one and only real deal. (thumbs u

Best,

Chris

60s art for the most part is quite pristine, almost new-looking in many cases. It's the 70s (primarily) where editors began asking for edits, modifications, stats, etc., and when zipatone came into use. White out started being used for effect as well. All these factors make the 70s and early 80s art look "old" because some parts of the paper age/brown to different degrees, while others (and especially the white out) stays completely white.

The few pages I have from the 60s (and I wish I had more!) are all beautiful.

Hari

That's an excellent splash, I remember that story when it went for sale in Sothebys, but thought it was 91?

Either 91 or 92. I haven't looked at those catalogs in a decade at least.

The complete story was auctioned in 2006 through Mastro Auctions. I picked up 3 pages myself and can tell you that the condition of each page is utterly immaculate. I think the only other pages I have from that era are from "Modeling With Millie", and each of those pages is also in absolutely perfect condition. I have some theories, but maybe someone here can tell us definitively why much of the 1960s original Marvel art you see is in such pristine condition, whereas much of the pages from the 1970s and 1980s are not? hm(shrug)

Maybe due to it's being warehoused until the early 80's ? Later pages were returned to the artists and storage conditions probably varied widely. Could also be a cheaper grade of paper as time marched on. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u