• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Shooter returns to Magnus/Turok/Solar :gossip:

21 posts in this topic

Hello Friends :hi:

I am a big Silver age fan, but I feel like a taking a small detour to dicuss this event. Dark Horse/ Gold Key character revamps :headbang:

I am looking forward to Jim Shooter's return on these characters. The pre unity Valiant's were a highlight of the early 1990's( probably the only highlight). According to Dark Horse these titles appear to be a go under the Shooters management. I recently pulled out some of the pre unity Valiant issues and had a read. I find that I still enjoy them to this day.

3 questions and please elborate if you wish.

Are any of my fellow boardies looking forward to this?

Do you think Jim Shooter can pull this off and have the 1990 fans return?

What specific issue of the pre-unity Valiants was a pain for you to obtain (pre internet)?

Example:

Yes

I think so as long as long as the fans show some forgiveness.

What specific issue of the pre-unity Valiants was a pain for you to obtain (pre internet)?

Harbinger 4, it was a real pain in the rear to get a hold of back then with a very low print run.

1 yes

2 yes

3 Harby 1

Thanks chainnball.

I remember buying Harbinger 1 for $40 dollars and thanks to the speculators best friend, the Wizard: guide to made up prices, I traded it for $125 store credit, 3 months later to the local comicbook store. Harbinger was a great storyline though and combined with a small print run it was on fire.

There's a trio of malcontents who do a podcast on these books, with the latest one on the FCBD issue.

www.onlythevaliant.com

I can't vouch for what they say, they seem to be a bunch of ignoramuses to me....

There's a trio of malcontents who do a podcast on these books, with the latest one on the FCBD issue.

www.onlythevaliant.com

I can't vouch for what they say, they seem to be a bunch of ignoramuses to me....

When I saw Lady Gaga mentioned on their title page that was as far as I willing to go. I think ignoramuses is being gentle. Thanks Amedeus

www.onlythevaliant.com

When I saw Lady Gaga mentioned on their title page that was as far as I willing to go. I think ignoramuses is being gentle. Thanks Amedeus

:roflmao:

The irony is so delicious.

:gossip: And yes, CD, you are being gentle.

www.onlythevaliant.com

What can I say, I loves me some Gaga....

:cloud9:

But I'd give it a chance, all the same....

I'm looking forward to this a bit...

I was more excited before I saw the art tho; I don't think the Solar series looks good at all. Magnus looks better, but it's still not great. Already pre-ordered Solar 1; I'll probably check the first few issues of each series to see how it goes.

Honestly? No.

I might have cared about 10-15 years ago when I was still buying new comics. I'm a fan of the Valiant versions of these characters but these days my comic buying money goes to older back issues.

I really have no idea. First time around he caught lightning in a bottle. Industry has changed dramatically since then.

None. I bought all mine new off the rack. Didn't go looking for back issues. Ironically, Harbinger was the one title I didn't collect. I was tired of the "young kids superhero group" even back then.

Are any of my fellow boardies looking forward to this?Yes, always good to see Marvel/DC challanged in the superhero market.

Do you think Jim Shooter can pull this off and have the 1990 fans return?Yes, the man is a genuis, Marvel Comics were at thier best under his editorship.

None, as long as you had the money you could get what you needed.

What I am also hoping is the new reboot leads to great creations, with the last reboot of these gold key characters we got X-O Manowar(my favorite),Rai and Harbinger.

www.onlythevaliant.com

Allright Amedeus. I will give it a shot. It's good to see someone is enthusiastic about Valiant's return and putting in the effort (thumbs u

I got to have drinks with Jim after the MN show and I only wish he would put out a book of all his stories. The man is a legend and being someone that could have cared less about Valiant (never read one), I am going to pick up both books and give them a chance!

Thought it might be cool. Until I read the four page preview in Previews. Ugh. Cover looks nice. Par for a modern comic.

No. The only reason it worked before was because of the speculation from Wizard.

None. I didn't really read them until after the fact. Liked BWS's Archer and Armstrong, but never finished it. Liked the BWS Solar tpb I have. My son likes it also. Have a Harbinger #1 because of David Lapham. (shrug)

Hope it turns out to be an enjoyable read for you. I just don't see it lighting the world on fire.

Might pick it up in a year or so when it's in the quarter bin at a show.

www.onlythevaliant.com

Self-deprecated right off the cliff! :tonofbricks:lol

Absolutely! These characters have always been a lot of fun, and Shooter can write 'em like nobody's business!

Who cares about the fans of the 90's? Good comics for 2010's fans, I say!

Back in the day, I traded a NM set of Dark Empire 1-6 AND $30 on top to get a Magnus 0 with card... :cloud9:

Back in the day, I traded a NM set of Dark Empire 1-6 AND $30 on top to get a Magnus 0 with card... :cloud9:

I still have both of mine, and I have always loved that gorgeous cover. Those that dumped all their Valiants most probably never appreciated them much for the storyline and artwork.

But there are enough hard-core fans the market should be fairly excited about these newer books by Shooter. They guy is amazing about pulling a comic universe together.

Yipper

Probably, at least those of us that are still collecting. The ones that are gone are just that...gone.

Harbinger 1. I blew off everything but Magnus and Solar until they became hot and I paid dearly.

There have been comments about the art. I've got a preview here somewhere but have yet to read it or even flip through it (I am so far behind, it's not even funny). Remember, Valiant under Shooter wasn't about the art. Some of it was nice, but most of it was generally competent storytelling and stories were what Valiant was all about.

Personally, I'm anxious to read it!

I really have no idea. First time around he caught lightning in a bottle. Industry has changed dramatically since then.

You're right about the industry, but his short-lived return to Legion of Super-Heroes drew a lot of attention and was actually good until the powers-that-be at DC dropped his storyline for the Countdown to 52 Crises of Infinite Identites in the Day and Night plots.

I'm anxious to see what he can do!

Yes. This is the most exciting comic news I've heard in the last year or so.

I hope so. I expect the hardcore Valiant fans to be on board, but hopefully it gains more mainstream exposure to keep sustained runs. I know I'll be buying all the Shooter-penned runs for the duration.

Harby #5. Actually, there was Internet when I was putting together a complete set, but not like today. For the longest time it was the only Pre-Unity book I was missing. All my friends knew I was on the lookout for it. Then one day, it arrived in the mail with no return address on the package. To this day I don't know where it came from, but I was grateful.