• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay selling question....

59 posts in this topic

Hello all, got a quick question....

I just sold some books on Ebay and had a few buyers from outside the US (Canada) buy books.

In the auction, I had flat rate shipping at $10.70 (med flat rate box via Priority) for the US listed.

I stated in the auction description very clearly, the $10.70 rate applied to Priority shipping for the US only, if the buyer was from outside the US, they were to contact me regarding shipping costs to their location.

I did this because the shipping calculator on Ebay sucks...and never gets it right for actual shipping costs.

One buyer won an auction from me and sent payment including $5.01 for shipping to Canada.

Since I had just sent a book to Canada the week previously, I know the boxes I use plus bubble wrap and cardboard to protect the book comes to 2 lbs and about 10-14 ounces. This works out to be around $10.00 plus $2.00 for my cost for a box and bubble wrap, etc.

I email the buyer informing him of this fact, plus re-iterating that the auction clearly stated that buyers outside the US needed to contact me for shipping costs to their location.

He emails me back three days later cussing me out, telling me I should eat the cost of shipping above the $5.01 and he found that shipping for a 2 lb package was $8.92 and that was all he was willing to pay for.

This guy just is rubbing me the wrong way, he clearly has trouble reading things completely, He did not read the information in the auction, and he completely mis-read my email and still wants to underpay for shipping. Plus the fact that he had been very abusive and angry in his emails.

I am thinking about just refunding his money and calling the transaction off, any ideas of if I can legally do this with Ebay? I just feel that this guy is setting me up for negative feedback no matter what I do, and by just using standard Air Mail (which he doesn't even want to pay full price for!) I have no way of tracking it so he could claim I never sent the comic and get away with it.

I have 100% positive feedback rating on Ebay and just want to make sure I am doing everything legally... can I just refund his money and get out of this? I just have a really bad feeling about this guy...

Any thoughts would be appreciated on this matter...

Send an invoice for the appropriate shipping amount and inform the buyer that if he does not want to pay the appropriate costs, that he can void the sale and you will relist the item and not hold him responsible.

This should allow him the option. You don't want to make a Canuck angry, they have nothing to do in the winter except plot revenge.

Okay, then it definitely needs a large box and I understand your problem. What's the sale price? If high enough, then maybe it's not the worst thing to spring for registered mail to get the signature and proof of delivery.

I have no idea where he's getting the $5.01 figure from.

Refund his payment.

Send him an invoice with the proper shipping cost filled in.

Send him a eBay email saying the terms of the listing are to pay that invoice.

If he refuses, go the "mutually agree not to complete the transaction" route of the non-paying bidder thingy. If he agrees to that he won't get to leave you feedback. Past that, he could file a non-performing seller complaint and leave negative feedback.

It was a 9.2 graded SS of Wolverine Limited #2 with Claremont's sig...

It sold for... (well, lets say less than GPA)... so I am not willing to lose any more money on the shipping as well...

I am just getting a very hostile vibe from this guy.... he just sent me $3.00 more for shipping, but still hasn't paid the amount I told him it would be..

So I am seriously considering just refunding his money and cancelling the transaction...

It isn't worth the headaches I am getting from this guy,..

Yeah, I think after this fiasco, I will only use the Express International Option (allows tracking and insurance) as the ONLY option for foreign buyers...

Then there will be no more of this ...

Yeah, I think after this fiasco, I will only use the Express International Option (allows tracking and insurance) as the ONLY option for foreign buyers...

Then there will be no more of this ...

Priority will get it done. Just list the S+H to Canada at $22 or so for a single slab.

As far as the Wolverine SS sale goes, I agree with the 'refund and send an invoice with correct S+H' option.

Make sure, when you're listing books, that you put the "international" section at some absurd rate...like 6-7 pounds or so....and Global Priority as the default option. This will force the buyer to not be able to pay anything less than $30-$40 or so, unless YOU, the seller, revise it yourself.

Has worked for me for 3+ years.

Refund his payment.

Send him an invoice with the proper shipping cost filled in.

Send him a eBay email saying the terms of the listing are to pay that invoice.

If he refuses, go the "mutually agree not to complete the transaction" route of the non-paying bidder thingy. If he agrees to that he won't get to leave you feedback. Past that, he could file a non-performing seller complaint and leave negative feedback.

+1

This is the best advice, IMO. I just had a buyer pay me before I could combine shipping. Reverse problem but paypal advised me to reverse the entire transaction and then reinvoice. Personally, in this case I would do that as well. This way you have a clear record of the complete transaction. And if he refuses to pay then just file a claim.

Just sell to Americans.... "USA..USA..USA..USA"...

There still can be a slight loophole with that, Hawaii,Puerto Rico or Alaska can be costly when offering free shipping depending on what part of the country your from, especially on the East coast. An example is California to Hawaii free shipping is not expensive but Maine to Hawaii free shipping is. I wonder if Ebay has anything to protect from that like just have free shipping to the 48 continental states?

There still can be a slight loophole with that, Hawaii,Puerto Rico or Alaska can be costly when offering free shipping depending on what part of the country your from, especially on the East coast. An example is California to Hawaii free shipping is not expensive but Maine to Hawaii free shipping is. I wonder if Ebay has anything to protect from that like just have free shipping to the 48 continental states?

The more astute business minded sellers will know there is a large foreign contingent of collectors, as evidenced by the posters on this board. They won't be inclined to exclude a significant chunk of consumer base, and will have the intelligence to be able to ship abroad.

The more astute business minded sellers will know there is a large foreign contingent of collectors, as evidenced by the posters on this board. They won't be inclined to exclude a significant chunk of consumer base, and will have the intelligence to be able to ship abroad.

It depends what they are selling on Ebay, if its a comic book that will get them much profit then yes, if its something thier only going to get a few bucks for then its not worth the hassle. 2c

It depends what they are selling on Ebay, if its a comic book that will get them much profit then yes, if its something thier only going to get a few bucks for then its not worth the hassle. 2c

Well, that's where the snide 'intelligence' aside comes in.... whether it's a hassle to a) look up/charge the appropriate price as per USPS shipping calculator and b) perhaps fill a couple of blanks on a customs form.

Unless I'm missing something in the process....? (shrug)

Reverse both payments and re-invoice. I would not suggest bending to this buyer's threats in an attempt to avoid negative feedback. I personally just received negative feedback on one of my new Ebay accounts that sells only CGC graded comics.

He negged me and claimed "CGC case was compromised", "Someone tried to break into the case"

That should help sales lol

In my experience the good outweighs the bad so just go with the flow :) For the record do not limit shipping to US only. The larger customer base will pay off in the long run.