• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay selling question....

59 posts in this topic

Just sell to Americans.... "USA..USA..USA..USA"...

There still can be a slight loophole with that, Hawaii,Puerto Rico or Alaska can be costly when offering free shipping depending on what part of the country your from, especially on the East coast. An example is California to Hawaii free shipping is not expensive but Maine to Hawaii free shipping is. I wonder if Ebay has anything to protect from that like just have free shipping to the 48 continental states?

The more astute business minded sellers will know there is a large foreign contingent of collectors, as evidenced by the posters on this board. They won't be inclined to exclude a significant chunk of consumer base, and will have the intelligence to be able to ship abroad.

It depends what they are selling on Ebay, if its a comic book that will get them much profit then yes, if its something thier only going to get a few bucks for then its not worth the hassle. 2c

Well, that's where the snide 'intelligence' aside comes in.... whether it's a hassle to a) look up/charge the appropriate price as per USPS shipping calculator and b) perhaps fill a couple of blanks on a customs form.

Unless I'm missing something in the process....? (shrug)

It's not the innteligince part... it's the getting screwed over by foreign buyers part because you can't prove tracking and they know they can get away with jacking you and do... and from my experience Canadians seem to be very apt to do this...

There still can be a slight loophole with that, Hawaii,Puerto Rico or Alaska can be costly when offering free shipping depending on what part of the country your from, especially on the East coast. An example is California to Hawaii free shipping is not expensive but Maine to Hawaii free shipping is. I wonder if Ebay has anything to protect from that like just have free shipping to the 48 continental states?

The more astute business minded sellers will know there is a large foreign contingent of collectors, as evidenced by the posters on this board. They won't be inclined to exclude a significant chunk of consumer base, and will have the intelligence to be able to ship abroad.

It depends what they are selling on Ebay, if its a comic book that will get them much profit then yes, if its something thier only going to get a few bucks for then its not worth the hassle. 2c

Well, that's where the snide 'intelligence' aside comes in.... whether it's a hassle to a) look up/charge the appropriate price as per USPS shipping calculator and b) perhaps fill a couple of blanks on a customs form.

It's not the innteligince part... it's the getting screwed over by foreign buyers part because you can't prove tracking and they know they can get away with jacking you and do... and from my experience Canadians seem to be very apt to do this...

Then get tracking and/or insurance. (shrug)

Yeah, I use flat rate for the US as I can use the medium flat rate box, can protect a slab very easily and it is the same cost for the whole US.

I have had a lot of trouble with the calculator on Ebay in the past, that is why I spelled it out very clearly to contact me for shipping costs if the buyer was outside the US, this is the first time I have ever had a problem.

In the end, I cancelled the transaction with Ebay and refunded the buyers' money.. I knew that whatever I did, I was gonna get negged.... he was rude, nasty and refused to pay the true shipping costs and refused to pay for box or packing materials.... so I knew if he wasn't going to pay for tracking or insuranace I was gonna get screwed.

So I guess it looks like I am gonna get my first neg on Ebay unless he decides to accept the transaction cancellation and it goes away...

So there we are.... I will be making sure that there is no way the Ebay shipping calculator gets me in trouble again... I am gonna make sure it is set for 5 lbs and is set to Global Express... they can talk me down to Priority with tracking if they want but at least it is now set in stone in the auction from now on..

Thanks for the advice all.....

Slow shipping speeds to other countries use to hurts dsr`s, people trying to get away with the customs charge, comics getting lost because of terrible tracking, that`s a few I can think of.

Like I said it depends on what it will sell for, if your telling me the lot will sell in USA for $90 without hassle compared to another country for $100 with hassle, I will take the $90 with no hassle, ten bucks isn`t worth the aggravation.

Flat rate shipping. Only way to go.

Yeah, I use flat rate for the US as I can use the medium flat rate box, can protect a slab very easily and it is the same cost for the whole US.

I have had a lot of trouble with the calculator on Ebay in the past, that is why I spelled it out very clearly to contact me for shipping costs if the buyer was outside the US, this is the first time I have ever had a problem.

In the end, I cancelled the transaction with Ebay and refunded the buyers' money.. I knew that whatever I did, I was gonna get negged.... he was rude, nasty and refused to pay the true shipping costs and refused to pay for box or packing materials.... so I knew if he wasn't going to pay for tracking or insuranace I was gonna get screwed.

So I guess it looks like I am gonna get my first neg on Ebay unless he decides to accept the transaction cancellation and it goes away...

So there we are.... I will be making sure that there is no way the Ebay shipping calculator gets me in trouble again... I am gonna make sure it is set for 5 lbs and is set to Global Express... they can talk me down to Priority with tracking if they want but at least it is now set in stone in the auction from now on..

Use the Flat Rate shipping for overseas as well. Single slab will cost $23 Canada/Mexico, $39 anywhere else.

hm

Hope it works out - it's this type of situation that makes the 'seller can't leave neg FB' policy so foolish. :mad:

Isn't flat rate priority just that, flat rate? Or do slabs not fit in the flat rate boxes anymore?

Isn't flat rate priority just that, flat rate? Or do slabs not fit in the flat rate boxes anymore?

:gossip: Slabs have never really fit into flat rate boxes - better to use the longer 1095 Box :grin:

With enough bubble wrap and packing tape they do. You have a little bulge on the top of the box. But if you have enough padding it shouldn't be a problem. if it's a big book in there, sure, go the extra mile with the bigger box and take your chances getting hurt on the free shipping, but if the book is a biggie, an extra $5 shouldn't matter.

yeah, canadians can be funny. seriously, so far this guy is only willing to pay you about $3 less than it would cost you to ship the book in the u.s. (flar rate is like $11 now, right?). why does he think it's cheaper to ship to canada than within the u.s.?

Got to say this guy sounds like a tool! I gott o agree with the refund & then send the proper invoice idea ... Also don't let one insufficiently_thoughtful_person scare ya from selling to the rest of us, you can get screwed selling with in the states too just as easy :S

I also don't agree with the using the higher shipping costs option either I tend to just avoid those auctions my self & go with lower shipping costs if I can! I don't know why you guys have to fill out so many forms to send off a simple package what pain!

Here all we do is write down the address & name & state whats in the package & how much the value is & away we go :S

I'm not surprised you don't want to work with this guy - sounds like a pain in the proverbial.

But don't think all international customers are not worth having. I've bought hundreds of books from US sellers and never had (or as far as I know caused) a problem. (shrug)

With enough bubble wrap and packing tape they do. You have a little bulge on the top of the box.

This is one of the reasons you see all the cracked slabs out there . . . ;)

Except to Canadia. Those people are insane.

:screwy:

See...?

(as a real aside, insurance covers all. Insurance is your friend. Buy insurance. Forget dealing with Paypal, just BUY THE DAMN INSURANCE, PEOPLE...)

Hope it works out - it's this type of situation that makes the 'seller can't leave neg FB' policy so foolish. :mad:

Not at all.

It's somethng Amazon and Yahoo figured out from the beginning, but took eBay well over a decade to clue into: negative feedback for buyers does not accomplish anything. There's no legitimate reason for its existence.

What would be the point of leaving this buyer negative feedback, other than the rather dubious one of "vengeance"...?

"But other sellers have to be warned!" When did it become a seller's job to "look out" for everybody else? What if the buyer is a GREAT buyer, but just couldn't work it out with YOU? What if you, the seller, are just a jerk? What if the buyer is just having a bad day/week?

The fact is, very, very few sellers check feedback of a bidder, and that's defeated by sniping anyways. It simply doesn't matter. There are other ways (ways which eBay has implemented to some extent) to weed out the truly bad buyers.

But in the real analysis, what does a bad buyer cost a seller? Yes, non-paying bidders are a pain, but eBay aggressively pursues this. Bounced checks are virtually unknown now in the digital age. Fraud by buyers is virtually eliminated by insurance (forget Paypal's worthless "protection"), and payment fraud is aggressively pursued by law enforcement. So, really, what harm can a buyer REALLY do on eBay?

Sellers, however...the overgrading, the non-disclosing, the soft fraud is still as rampant as ever. Sellers do millons and millions of dollars in damage to buyers, and often without them even realizing it. And those that had the nerve to leave honest feedback..and I mean honest, would convince a judge and jury beyond a reasonable doubt feedback...were labeled "troublemakers" and "problems" and "scam artists" and "jerks." And honest sellers lost out (though they didn't realize it) because they listened to the REAL scam artists, instead of the buyer who was accurately assessing what happened with other sellers (a sad fact to which I am not immune, either.)

How do you compete with someone who doesn't give a damn about his customers (Rich Muchin), or overgrades like it's necessary to sustain life (Mile High, Lonestar, Carbonaro, etc.) or just flat out restores without disclosing? (Ewert, Robojo)

How do you compete with this? And God forbid you leave these people a negative in the old days.

For every 1 negative left for a legitimately crummy buyer, there have been 10,000 left purely out of retalitiation. Retaliation means fewer people willing to leave honest feedback, which means sellers look better than they are, which means more and more people get suckered. It also means people, too afraid to damage their "perfect reputation on eBay" (which means NOTHING as a buyer), would simply not say anything. Instead, you had all sorts of people whose egos were wrapped up in their precious feedback to risk telling the truth about anyone that was a problem.

How utterly useless!

Is this what people want? How many people would rather have avoided these crummy sellers with PERFECT feedback in the first place?

How many spite negs did Dan Greenhalgh of Showcase New England...a man famous for "less than stellar" customer service...a man who has ADMITTED this about himself...how many did he leave?

In my experience, the sellers who are complaining about this the most are NOT the ones focused on superior customer service...but rather the ones most likely to have issues in this area, like SNE.

Frankly, it NEVER ceases to shock me how upset and surprised anybody on this board....people who are intimately familiar with the multitude of deceiful practices that go on in this industry every day...gets about this policy. It is a significant step in STOPPING the fraud, the overgrading, the non-disclosed resto...things that have been epidemic on eBay for 15 years...and yet, people complain about it.

If anybody, it's people HERE who should be applauding this policy, instead of bemoaning it...

And I'm not singling you out, 500...you're hardly the only one.